• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2017 4:18 pm
Jul 25, 2015
294 posts
119 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ExcelPremium wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:59 pm
I'm new to camping but is the Marmot tent better than any of these brands, Sportz Footprint, Burton Whetstone, World Famous and Rockwater?
1000000% better.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
601 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
Cottoni wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 4:58 pm
The North Face talus 3 and Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 are comparable in price and size to the Marmot Catalyst 3, just don't know if there would be any difference quality and durability wise. Actually thinking on getting the talus 4 for the extra room.
Can't speak to durability but they're all reputable brands so don't see them being much different on that front.

I'm no expert but for me the difference was the Marmot comes with the footprint so that's another $40+ saved over the other two. Also for it's size it's the lightest (barely) of the bunch.

Don't think you'd go wrong with any of those options though. At the $200 price point these all have solid value vs spending $80-100 less on a Canadian tire tent.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18962 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
mikek33 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 6:29 am
Can't speak to durability but they're all reputable brands so don't see them being much different on that front.

I'm no expert but for me the difference was the Marmot comes with the footprint so that's another $40+ saved over the other two. Also for it's size it's the lightest (barely) of the bunch.

Don't think you'd go wrong with any of those options though. At the $200 price point these all have solid value vs spending $80-100 less on a Canadian tire tent.
I agree there. The fact that Marmot tents usually come with a footprint is a big plus. Usually a footprint is $40 or so, and they're kind of essential if you want your tent to last. And yeah, let's not even talk about Canadian Tire tents. My brother in law got one a few years ago because he said it was a 'great deal'.....it wasn't such a great deal when it leaked in the rain and his phone was damaged that he left inside. I keep telling people, don't buy cheap quality tents, buy a reputable brand.
dakota2001 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2012 11:24 pm
Women don't wake up, scratch their balls, throw on a baseball cap and venture into the world as is.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1250 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like this stuff is only good for regular campers. If you're a once a year/two year camper then I would rather buy a CT tent that has way more space and "functionality".

I go camping once every two years and my CT Coleman tent has held up after 10 years. Though, I've only used it about 5 times for 1 week intervals.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18962 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
jellytime wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:49 pm
I feel like this stuff is only good for regular campers. If you're a once a year/two year camper then I would rather buy a CT tent that has way more space and "functionality".

I go camping once every two years and my CT Coleman tent has held up after 10 years. Though, I've only used it about 5 times for 1 week intervals.
What 'functionality' do you need a tent to give you other than being a reliable weatherproof shelter?
dakota2001 wrote:
Women don't wake up, scratch their balls, throw on a baseball cap and venture into the world as is.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17667 posts
790 upvotes
Brampton
absolutely love marmot tents
Discord: ZAvMRrc
Jan 19, 2011
640 posts
196 upvotes
Montreal
I'm a stickler on tent sizing so you should consider the width of your camping mats when choosing a tent. I need a really wide camping mat to sleep comfortably so we have a 25 inch and a 30 inch mat which are both over 6 feet long so my 6' x 6' tent was a bit too small and our new 6' x 7' tent is perfect for 2. Now this leaves almost no room for random stuff in the tent so this should be considered as well. We just spent 2 weeks in Banff and it was hitting 5C at night so I'm actually glad we didn't have a huge tent; now I'm reconsidering the big MEC cabin tent.

The other thing I've found to be very important (aside from the level of waterproofness obviously) for ventilation and colder weather camping is whether the doors have full ventilation that you can zip open or closed. You'd be surprised how many expensive and name brand tents don't have this option. So far one size of the MEC wanderer has it I think. Having 2 doors with the full venting open to allow the breeze go through can be really nice when it's hot.

Also to avoid the major hassle of packing up and having to dry a wet and muddy tent or footprint (esp. if living in an apartment), I bought a drop sheet from Dollarama and discarded it after it finally got muddy.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18962 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
molybdenum wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 12:27 am
I'm a stickler on tent sizing so you should consider the width of your camping mats when choosing a tent. I need a really wide camping mat to sleep comfortably so we have a 25 inch and a 30 inch mat which are both over 6 feet long so my 6' x 6' tent was a bit too small and our new 6' x 7' tent is perfect for 2. Now this leaves almost no room for random stuff in the tent so this should be considered as well. We just spent 2 weeks in Banff and it was hitting 5C at night so I'm actually glad we didn't have a huge tent; now I'm reconsidering the big MEC cabin tent.

The other thing I've found to be very important (aside from the level of waterproofness obviously) for ventilation and colder weather camping is whether the doors have full ventilation that you can zip open or closed. You'd be surprised how many expensive and name brand tents don't have this option. So far one size of the MEC wanderer has it I think. Having 2 doors with the full venting open to allow the breeze go through can be really nice when it's hot.

Also to avoid the major hassle of packing up and having to dry a wet and muddy tent or footprint (esp. if living in an apartment), I bought a drop sheet from Dollarama and discarded it after it finally got muddy.
By drop sheet , is that a tarp?
dakota2001 wrote:
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18962 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
If you need something bigger, for under $200, this Eureka 4-person tent (fits 2 comfortable) is a pretty good deal for $179. Eureka makes decent tents. Not to Marmot or MSR levels, but I don't think there's a better quality 4-person tent for the price.
http://www.lacordee.com/fr/grand-solde- ... tragon-4xt
dakota2001 wrote:
Feb 2, 2015
47 posts
10 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I've had my Marmot tent for about 8 years. It's a 3 person 3 season and IT'S THE BEST TENT EVER. Comes with a footprint which a lot of other brands don't and spare parts. Always folds up perfectly to fit back into the bag. It's a very solid brand. You can't go wrong with Marmot in my opinion. I've been looking into getting a bigger one now that I have a dog.
Apr 7, 2008
208 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
If you're a 1x a year summer tent camper and you waterproof your tent with $20 worth of waterproof spray and use a $20 tarp for above and below your tent, is it still worth spending $$$ on a name brand tent?

My buddy bought this Coleman Weathermaster tent for 6 with screened patio from CT on sale with a $50 gift card (he said he spent about $189+tx) last year and we tried it out a few weeks ago. Great tent in the sun, with standing room throughout, cool shutting door, partial fly with taped seams, room for 4-5 adults, and a screened patio for storage or even cooking if light rain. Anyways, it poured hard over 2 days where you couldn't see when you drive and I thought we would be flooded for sure but I was totally impressed when there was maybe 1 tablespoon of water near one of the windows. I asked him and there were no tarps and he had only waterproofed it with 1 layer of waterproof spray (2 bottles of $10 tent spray from CT). Mind you, the tent was brand new but with waterproof spray and tarps next time, but has me tempted to buy the same tent now over buying a nice Eureka that is over double the price.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18962 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
When you waterproof a material with a spray, it's no longer breathable, and you're going to roast in the tent, unless it has good ventilation. How do you then know when the spray is worn off, unless it leaks? What if you missed spraying a critical spot? If it was a brand new tent it shouldn't leak, but in a year or two it may and will eventually.

This is where the expertise of tent makers like MSR, Marmot, North Face, Big Agnes and Mountain Hardwear come into play....they've done decades of research into high quality weatherproof and breathable materials, seals and seams, fiberglass poles, etc....That's what you're paying for when you get a tent from a high end tent maker.

Check the Eureka that I posted the link above for. if you want larger than the Marmot but still at a good price.
gyro wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 10:58 am
If you're a 1x a year summer tent camper and you waterproof your tent with $20 worth of waterproof spray and use a $20 tarp for above and below your tent, is it still worth spending $$$ on a name brand tent?

My buddy bought this Coleman Weathermaster tent for 6 with screened patio from CT on sale with a $50 gift card (he said he spent about $189+tx) last year and we tried it out a few weeks ago. Great tent in the sun, with standing room throughout, cool shutting door, partial fly with taped seams, room for 4-5 adults, and a screened patio for storage or even cooking if light rain. Anyways, it poured hard over 2 days where you couldn't see when you drive and I thought we would be flooded for sure but I was totally impressed when there was maybe 1 tablespoon of water near one of the windows. I asked him and there were no tarps and he had only waterproofed it with 1 layer of waterproof spray (2 bottles of $10 tent spray from CT). Mind you, the tent was brand new but with waterproof spray and tarps next time, but has me tempted to buy the same tent now over buying a nice Eureka that is over double the price.
dakota2001 wrote:
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1342 posts
74 upvotes
richmondhill
now I need a deal on a sleeping bag for the tent
Jun 11, 2016
7 posts
11 upvotes
Cottoni wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 4:58 pm
The North Face talus 3 and Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 are comparable in price and size to the Marmot Catalyst 3, just don't know if there would be any difference quality and durability wise. Actually thinking on getting the talus 4 for the extra room.
The Talus 4 is a solid choice and also comes with a footprint. It's a little larger and has (in my opinion) a great design with the H pole system, which seems to offer much more room on the sides of the tent.