Hot Deals

[Atmosphere] Atmosphere - Marmot Tent

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2017 4:18 pm
May 2, 2013
107 posts
236 upvotes
St. John's
Some of this discussion is comparing tents intended for car-camping with tents for backpacking.
MSR, Big Agnes, etc tents are pricy because it's tricky to make a tent that does the job reliably and that can be carried all day in a backpack.
If you're car-camping then the big Walmart or Cdn Tire tents may be more comfortable for less $$.
Jan 19, 2011
627 posts
166 upvotes
Montreal
najibs wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 9:03 am
By drop sheet , is that a tarp?
No I mean a real drop sheet, it's super thin clear plastic they sell for painting so it's only $1.25 I think. Keeps the bottom of your tent free of gravel and mud.
Oct 18, 2016
75 posts
28 upvotes
Just remember with tents to divide the max person rating by 2
So this would fit one person+gear or
2 people really crammed in with no gear.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
596 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
dcjcdc wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 11:12 pm
now I need a deal on a sleeping bag for the tent
I picked up a Marmot Trestles 30 on LiveOutThere but just checked and they seem to be sold out. After all the discounts I got it for like $60. It was 40% off, lifetime membership 10% off and then another $20 off when you spend $100 (I bought a sleeping mat).

I think TheLastHunt has some Trestles sleeping bags left on discount. From my research it's a solid option for a synthetic fill sleeping bag. Down filled sleeping bags get quite expensive.

My wife has a MEC Drake down filled and loves it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
6966 posts
745 upvotes
antithesis99 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 1:34 pm
That's a pretty sweet deal on the Marmot.

If someone is looking for something lighter (~1.3 kg) and cheaper (~$100), but also smaller (2 person) and probably a bit less durable, there's the Nature Hike cloud up 2, I have it, fits 2 adults (very snuggly), but it's pretty well built, comes with a footprint and quite versatile if you want to save even more weight.
https://www.amazon.ca/Naturehike-Season ... B01DPRLD7S
Just to throw out another options, not a lot of tent posts in Hot Deals :)
There's the Cloud Up 3 as well sold under many brand names, just search for ultralight and it will come up, about $160 no taxes or pay a bit more for the siliconed red/gray (hello msr) version with higher waterproofing

It is a heavily inspired clone of the MSR Hubba series, we used it for 2 weeks in Iceland, held up fine, even in the strong wind in the Highland, it was pouring for 3 days and only in the last that water started to seep through the fabric with the regular version in orange (or green), the red/gray should fare even better.

But for most people doing camping in normal conditions, it will hold up just fine.

"3 persons" with ground sheet
Green $150
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B016JX7OV ... th=1&psc=1

Orange $160
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01E57A7C ... th=1&psc=1

2 person silicone red/gray $160
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B071D6Y44 ... ref=plSrch

Looks like no FBA 3 person silicone in stock at the moment, there's always the usual Banggood and others which should carry it as well.
Oct 29, 2009
397 posts
85 upvotes
I am a pretty experienced family car camper (back-country not so much) and I don't think it's fair to say all Crappy Tire/Woods tents are garbage. Some (maybe most) definitely are, but there are some well-priced tents there that are pretty solid for the average family looking to spend a week at a provincial park once or twice a year. We currently have a Woods Big Cedar 8P ($270 on sale) that has withstood multiple crazy rain/wind storms across Ontario and the Maritimes without leaking or complaint. The only problem is that you need to be careful to put the ground tarp under it just right so that it doesn't catch water dripping down off the fly and route it under the tent. But that's hardly the tent's fault, even the best waterproof flooring will leak in that scenario.

You definitely need a bit of personal experience to pick out the gems but to say that all tents from a department store are garbage is not entirely correct. If you can afford the $700+ for a large family size tent from MEC then have at it (I would!), but for the rest of us you can get a serviceable tent for much less money if you know what to look for.
Oct 19, 2007
733 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal
I'm glad I got my MSR Elixir 2 from MEC. Awesome tent for 2 adults. After one year of use, one of my poles broke while camping and since I got it from MEC, they repaired it for me within one hour, free, no question asked, without the receipt. When you buy outdoors products like this, things break sometimes and having a stellar warranty is very useful in those situations.
Oct 15, 2008
97 posts
28 upvotes
Windsor
Not that I'm knocking the deal on the Marmot, but I second the Eureka recommendation. I use them with my Scout troop (we abuse these tents twice a month, year round) and they stand up very well. http://scoutshop.ca/Item?item=083826291036 is close in terms of cost. As for the question about how does one determine the number of people in a tent versus the stated size - we normally reduce the size by 1 for youth and 2 for adults - so if its a 3 person and going to be used for youth, they can fit 2 youth in there (with their gear). For adults, we don't bother with 3 person tents (unless you are in there by yourself) and 4 person tents become 2 adult tents (with gear). And as for the footprint, yes, you can get an expensive one, but as per someone's suggestion, we use either cheap tarps or plastic vapour barrier cut to size. Hope that helps!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
6966 posts
745 upvotes
Depends how much gear you pack and the size and # of vestibules (1-2) and their size(s).

I usually find 3 persons tent plenty for 2 adults+some gear for weekend trips and car camping, if you're going multi day trips and carrying everything with you with a 60L+ pack yes you'll want to upsize (or reduce the amount of stuff you bring lol)
Unless it's a UL/ultralight tent of which is a tad bit smaller
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18908 posts
703 upvotes
Montreal
mikek33 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 3:54 pm
I picked up a Marmot Trestles 30 on LiveOutThere but just checked and they seem to be sold out. After all the discounts I got it for like $60. It was 40% off, lifetime membership 10% off and then another $20 off when you spend $100 (I bought a sleeping mat).

I think TheLastHunt has some Trestles sleeping bags left on discount. From my research it's a solid option for a synthetic fill sleeping bag. Down filled sleeping bags get quite expensive.

My wife has a MEC Drake down filled and loves it.
They had a coupon for 20% off $100? Or was it the first time purchase save 20% coupon? I thought that was only valid on full price items?
dakota2001 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2012 11:24 pm
Women don't wake up, scratch their balls, throw on a baseball cap and venture into the world as is.
Apr 7, 2008
203 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Hi dealhunter,
Based on your recommendation ,
I checked out Creative Outdoors and their paracord both used ($9 for 90ft) and new ($16 for 100ft). I also found brand new World Famous paracord of 100ft for $10 which is almost half the cost than at Creative Outdoors. Both seem to be 7 strand non-professionAL paracord. Is there something I'm missing about the Creative Outdoor paracord that's better than the World Famous? Just asking since I expected this surplus store to have cheaper prices.
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 2:54 am
You can also reduce UV wear and tear on your rainfly by taking an extra tarp with you. Like a cheap 6' x 8' tarp covering over your tent. Princess Auto has one for like $3.99 I think. Cheap insurance in the long run as buying a new rainfly later can cost a bit.

Also check out army surplus stores for paracord. My local surplus store (Creative Outdoors in the GTA at HWY7/East Beaver Creek) has 30' used OD green paracord for $3.00. I think it's $10 for new 50' black paracord. Nothing wrong with the used parachute cord for tarp use or hanging your bags to keep Yogi bear and friends from tearing up your bag. Just don't be repelling off it and you'll be ok.
Jul 19, 2017
8 posts
5 upvotes
bought this bad boy for $216 a while ago, under 200 is a great deal.

It fit my girlfriend and 50 lbs dog easily, with overnight bags at our feet. Coleman double air mattress from Canadian tire fit perfectly.

I was actually pretty shocked how small it is disassembled, easy to carry, great tent can't go wrong at this price!
Jun 2, 2012
74 posts
8 upvotes
LONDON
Parttimebargainhunter wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 3:51 pm
bought this bad boy for $216 a while ago, under 200 is a great deal.

It fit my girlfriend and 50 lbs dog easily, with overnight bags at our feet. Coleman double air mattress from Canadian tire fit perfectly.

I was actually pretty shocked how small it is disassembled, easy to carry, great tent can't go wrong at this price!
Seems it's not at this price anymore :(
Jul 19, 2017
8 posts
5 upvotes
osprey wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 4:14 pm
Seems it's not at this price anymore :(
I've seen it at $216 a couple of times, I would keep my eye on it! I wonder if atmosphere would honor the price if you had a photo of the receipt at this price?