• Nov 12th, 2017 12:39 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
581 posts
1505 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Attic Insulation - Costco

Hi Guys,
I am looking to get my attic insulation updated and asked costco and a guy came and gave me an estimate of $1.25/ square foot. He said they will install or extend the baffles. They will use blown in fibreglass for R-50 to 18 inches. Right now it is only upto 5 inches. (So they will add another 13 inches). There is apparently a lifetime warranty as in if the insulation settles to less than 15 inches they will do it again or something along those line. Made a comment about the attic hatch and how that is wasting energy and they will upgrade it.

Good quote and go ahead or ask some other person.

What are your thoughts and recommendations on this.

Thanks
31 replies
Dec 25, 2003
1 posts
1 upvote
Hi - I am also interested in doing the same.

I got the same/similar quote. I was hoping someone from RFD here could chime in.

TIA.
Apr 24, 2006
654 posts
135 upvotes
I got a similar deal. We err down to 4 inches. I’m getting mine blown in this Wednesday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

It was way cheaper than the quote I got from Home Depot and quite close to what it would have cost me to do it myself after factoring in the number of bags needed and trunk rental from HD.
Oct 24, 2016
152 posts
101 upvotes
ON
I have a quote of $1.08 sq ft with a 10 year warranty. To me the reputation and standing of the company is more important than saving on a few cents.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4338 posts
2946 upvotes
GTA
rohruaj wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:02 pm
Hi Guys,
I am looking to get my attic insulation updated and asked costco and a guy came and gave me an estimate of $1.25/ square foot. He said they will install or extend the baffles. They will use blown in fibreglass for R-50 to 18 inches. Right now it is only upto 5 inches. (So they will add another 13 inches). There is apparently a lifetime warranty as in if the insulation settles to less than 15 inches they will do it again or something along those line. Made a comment about the attic hatch and how that is wasting energy and they will upgrade it.

Good quote and go ahead or ask some other person.

What are your thoughts and recommendations on this.

Thanks
What was the contractor's name? I would imagine it could change depending on the store location.
Holystone wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:19 pm
I have a quote of $1.08 sq ft with a 10 year warranty. To me the reputation and standing of the company is more important than saving on a few cents.
What company was this?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
1023 posts
124 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I am also interested in this.
Apr 8, 2013
62 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Have you looked at blown in cellulose as opposed to fiberglass? If you're in the GTA consider giving Tropical Insulation a call - they upgraded my attic insulation to R50. Price was very reasonable.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4338 posts
2946 upvotes
GTA
F22Raptor wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:39 pm
Have you looked at blown in cellulose as opposed to fiberglass? If you're in the GTA consider giving Tropical Insulation a call - they upgraded my attic insulation to R50. Price was very reasonable.
How much was it per sq/ft?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2896 posts
786 upvotes
Paris
I did my own 1500 square feet for $400ish including air sealing (a bitch but very very important) and I did my garage to R30. I think I did the attic to R70. I used my trailer and made 2 trips to get the stuff. Needed a feeder on the ground. Was 2 hours or less to actually blow. Air sealing was a full day, and thats the stuff most pros dont put the time in to do.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4338 posts
2946 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:07 am
I did my own 1500 square feet for $400ish including air sealing (a bitch but very very important) and I did my garage to R30. I think I did the attic to R70. I used my trailer and made 2 trips to get the stuff. Needed a feeder on the ground. Was 2 hours or less to actually blow. Air sealing was a full day, and thats the stuff most pros dont put the time in to do.
I've blown in cellulose before and agree it's pretty easy. What I'm not keen to do is all of the baffling on on my 2 low stop attics (back split house). I may suck it up an doit but I'm waiting for the rebates I hope to get with our free home energy audit that's supposed to come with the free GreenOn tstat.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2896 posts
786 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:14 am
I've blown in cellulose before and agree it's pretty easy. What I'm not keen to do is all of the baffling on on my 2 low stop attics (back split house). I may suck it up an doit but I'm waiting for the rebates I hope to get with our free home energy audit that's supposed to come with the free GreenOn tstat.
The baffles sucked. Rolling around my garage that had NOTHING sucked even more. I'm not young and could be in better shape. Air sealing was the real bitch though. Wasn't as painful as baffles, but just finding everything and getting it right (as you would only do on your own home). If I could have, I would have emptied the whole attic and either re-used or just started new. I have a 5 HP dust collector now that I could have actually done it.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Apr 8, 2013
62 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I paid $350 to add a layer of R30 to 600 sf. over the blown in fiberglass and $650 for R60 for a 800 sf section (I removed the old fiberglass bat insulation from this section and air sealed the attic). This was back in 2014.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
581 posts
1505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:16 pm
What was the contractor's name? I would imagine it could change depending on the store location.

The company name was Insulation home services and sales guy was Glenn.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1564 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
rohruaj wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:03 am
The company name was Insulation home services and sales guy was Glenn.
I remember him. Nice guy. I had him over for a quote 2 years ago.
However, I went spray foam route so didn't consult with him further.
Oct 24, 2016
152 posts
101 upvotes
ON
engineered wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:16 pm

What company was this?
It's Dominion which has been mentioned around in rfd.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.