• Nov 12th, 2017 12:39 am
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
rohruaj wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:03 am
The company name was Insulation home services and sales guy was Glenn.
Thx. Do we need to go through costco to get the same pricing?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2896 upvotes
GTA
Holystone wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:51 am
It's Dominion which has been mentioned around in rfd.
Thx, do they serve the whole GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would change the quote from 'inches of insulation to be installed' to bags of insulation to be installed. A well known scam for insulation is for the company to make extra money by not blowing all of the insulation needed but to measure only how high it is in the attic. While the warranty may be to come back and blow in some more to account for settling, you would have to go up and measure it, then convince them it settled (they will probably have to send someone out to measure themselves), and then make time for them to come back and blow some more in. It would be easier if you know how many bags should be blown in (calculations are dead simple depending on the product used), add a few extra (5% or so) in case of errors and then use that number in the contract. This way, you can easily verify how many bags were delivered.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1603 posts
441 upvotes
Mississauga
I also used Dominion for mine but not through Costco. I did blown fibreglass which I calculated to around $1.15/sqft. I already had R30 of existing fiberglass and felt it does not settle over time like blown cellulose
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5269 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I too need to top up my attic. Have R32 and want it up to at least R50. Figuring the size of my home (2395sf), I'm guessing the attic space is around 1340sq.ft, so based on the OP's quote of $1.25/sqft, that about be $1675?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
581 posts
1505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:41 pm
Thx. Do we need to go through costco to get the same pricing?
Yes.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
581 posts
1505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chimaican wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:32 pm
I too need to top up my attic. Have R32 and want it up to at least R50. Figuring the size of my home (2395sf), I'm guessing the attic space is around 1340sq.ft, so based on the OP's quote of $1.25/sqft, that about be $1675?
Shouldn't it be exactly half of that? Around 1200 Sq foot? Infact a little under.
In Any case the guy will measure with a laser pointer on the top floor and do his own calculation.
I did not pay greater attention and took his word and he probably rounded and added a few inches . It may seem trivial but while calculating it might add an extra $100 to the final quote (HST included).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5269 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
rohruaj wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:07 pm
Shouldn't it be exactly half of that? Around 1200 Sq foot? Infact a little under.
In Any case the guy will measure with a laser pointer on the top floor and do his own calculation.
I did not pay greater attention and took his word and he probably rounded and added a few inches . It may seem trivial but while calculating it might add an extra $100 to the final quote (HST included).
I actually have a bedroom above a portion of the garage so as a result the sqft can't be halfed, but I get where you're coming from.

I take half (1200) and then add/minus the bedroom over the garage (140), thereby making the main floor approx 1060 & second floor approx 1340 equalling 2400sqft. Logically the attic should be the same as the 2nd floor, give or take a few sqft.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2857 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
chimaican wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:33 pm
I actually have a bedroom above a portion of the garage so as a result the sqft can't be halfed, but I get where you're coming from.

I take half (1200) and then add/minus the bedroom over the garage (140), thereby making the main floor approx 1060 & second floor approx 1340 equalling 2400sqft. Logically the attic should be the same as the 2nd floor, give or take a few sqft.
2x6 walls you are insulating over would add 5" in both dimensions. You would need to add 8% to your square feet of your upstairs.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Apr 24, 2006
652 posts
135 upvotes
So we had ours done this past Wednesday. The guys were professional, laid down a lot plastic and generally kept any mess contained. They installed baffles and topped up the hatch and area around it. We went from 4” to 20”, and it makes a huge difference. I didn’t think to have the contract state how many bags of insulation they would blow in, but I took before and after pictures and they got it up to 20”.
"I don't even know what this is and i just ordered it... damn it rfd."
"Thanks OP. Didn't need them until RFD'ers convinced me that i did!"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ndiniwachojeff wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:29 pm
So we had ours done this past Wednesday. The guys were professional, laid down a lot plastic and generally kept any mess contained. They installed baffles and topped up the hatch and area around it. We went from 4” to 20”, and it makes a huge difference. I didn’t think to have the contract state how many bags of insulation they would blow in, but I took before and after pictures and they got it up to 20”.
Blown in insulation settles so what you see now at 20" won't be 20" in a year's time.
Apr 24, 2006
652 posts
135 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:35 am
Blown in insulation settles so what you see now at 20" won't be 20" in a year's time.
Yes. I’ll be keeping an eye on it and will call them back if it goes below 15”.
"I don't even know what this is and i just ordered it... damn it rfd."
"Thanks OP. Didn't need them until RFD'ers convinced me that i did!"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ndiniwachojeff wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:04 am
Yes. I’ll be keeping an eye on it and will call them back if it goes below 15”.
I would ask them for details on their guarantee for settlement.... ie what's the process and how much settlement is allowed? It's better to get it in writing now so that you understand (or can complain) now that the installation happened recently!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2572 posts
456 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Did it myself this summer [made thread on it] with a buddy to feed the cellulose.

The real work and what most professionals will not do or quote is the air sealing... took me about 2-3 times [hours] vs the actual insulation blowing.

When insulation goes on sale or one of those no tax events then good time to get done. Delivery can be negotiated to $50 unless have big van or pick up. The machine is normally pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
georvu wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:23 pm
Delivery can be negotiated to $50 unless have big van or pick up. The machine is normally pick up.
Since you have to pick-up and return the machine anyways, an alternative may be to rent a van or a small truck from UHAUL at $20 per day + mileage (approx 50 to 70 cents per km).