Mar 13, 2012
1316 posts
372 upvotes
Calgary
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:10 pm
Are Cadbury Cream eggs exempt?

If they're exempt please fix the OP. Very misleading! :P
They're exempt, everyone knows they come from bunnies not chickens!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7106 posts
1616 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:26 pm
I'm gonna call you out on that. 1.99/lb US = 2.58CAD (1.30CAD ~ 1US). There local grocery stores here in the city are around that price.
Since when?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7559 posts
1341 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:38 pm
Where? Are they fresh not frozen? I have never seen that price or at least not in years. Fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts go for $3.99 lb when on sale. I won't buy frozen chicken breasts after seeing one of the US news shows doing an undercover segment on Food Lion. They took the old chicken that was going bad, cleaned it with bleach, added seasoning and then froze them and sold them like that. Needless to say, I avoid all seasoned frozen meat, heck I avoid seasoned meat. I don't want to take any risks with my health to save a few bucks.
Image]Image[/url]

It's 2.79/lb this week, but it does range from $2.49-$2.99. Then I'd just take the flyer and price match with RCSS or Wal-Mart.

death_hawk wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:54 pm
I was going to call out the 30% FX rate but we're not getting that far off... I booked at 21% a bunch of days ago and it looks like the rate dropped from there.
For fresh? I've never seen it this low ever.
I'm not entirely sure I could hit this price point even at wholesale.
LNahid2000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 9:43 am
Since when?

I was estimating the rate, and yeah, we arent that far away. The exact rate today I got it from going by visa website, adding the 2.5, it comes up to 28%
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes
Thank you for this thorough information. I was there last weekend myself as matter of fact :-) How is Orleans these days? I use to live in a subdivision of the old Montreal rd and the hill that goes into Petrie Island up until 2012 :-)
HearMe wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 4:41 pm
I went shopping in Watertown, NY a week ago, when the restriction on eggs and uncooked poultry products was limited to Washington and Oregon. If purchasing such items stateside, you can use the following look-up tool from the USDA website to determine the origin:

http://apps.ams.usda.gov/plantbook/quer ... _query.asp

Use the field for the plant number. What you are looking for is a P-12345 type number (it's either near the USDA "inspected for wholesomeness" seal, on the price label affixed by the store, or the side of the egg carton). For example, fresh chicken had "P-667" printed on the price label, so in the field, you would enter 667 only (do not write it as 00667). From that, I was able to determine my chicken was processed at a plant in Delaware. Some Tyson frozen chicken wings I had traced back to a plant in Missouri, and eggs from a plant in Pennsylvania. All items were not part of the list of states with banned products, and therefore okay to cross the border (the customs officer didn't even ask about the origin of my poultry or eggs, in any case, but it was good to know this in case their origin was questioned).

For anyone who wishes to shop for these items, it might be worthwhile to bookmark that link in your smartphone and look it up before buying.
Dec 14, 2007
167 posts
9 upvotes
Newmarket
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 9:46 am
Image]Image[/url]

It's 2.79/lb this week, but it does range from $2.49-$2.99. Then I'd just take the flyer and price match with RCSS or Wal-Mart.

I was estimating the rate, and yeah, we arent that far away. The exact rate today I got it from going by visa website, adding the 2.5, it comes up to 28%
EPcjay what store is your ad from for the chicken breast?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7559 posts
1341 upvotes
ezman123 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 11:29 am
EPcjay what store is your ad from for the chicken breast?
Foody Mart in Markham.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2014 upvotes
Nowhere
Kuurgen wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 6:31 am
We were buying boatloads of chicken from Wegmans, however the texture was completely different from a Canadian chicken. Also, the Wegman's chicken breasts were seriously plumped up with water. when I pulled the trays out of the freezer, I would always be amazed at how much water was in the tray liner.
Many stores in the US plump up their chicken with brine so you get these huge chicken breasts. I find them to be very tender. Some stores are better than others. The Wegmans ones are good because they come individually wrapped so you can just throw them in the freezer. At Tops, about a year ago they had the plump ones with brine for $1.99/lb and the one small ones without for $1.79 /lb. I bought without the brine but then couldn't find them that cheap on subsequent visits.
EPcjay wrote:
Most of us don't live in Markham or have access to Foody Mart. I have not seen that price in years which is why I questioned it and why I buy my chicken in the US. The cheapest I've seen fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast is $3.99 lb and it is rare now to see that price. My local Walmart won't price match fresh items from the small discount stores. They even refused to PM iceberg lettuce once saying it was a different grade yet they couldn't tell me what grade their lettuce was.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7106 posts
1616 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
I didn't realize you could predict where exchange rates are headed. I use the Chase Amazon.ca Visa, so I pay $1.245 for a US Dollar.
Oct 10, 2014
33 posts
16 upvotes
Orleans, ON
springy wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 10:18 am
Thank you for this thorough information. I was there last weekend myself as matter of fact :-) How is Orleans these days? I use to live in a subdivision of the old Montreal rd and the hill that goes into Petrie Island up until 2012 :-)
You're welcome! Always glad to help out here and share things that others may find useful. I shop both Canada and the U.S. strategically and only buy what's cheaper or the same price in Canada, or what is needed right away (typically loss leader deals and stuff like fresh produce), and otherwise wait if I know I can get a better price stateside on something that can wait until my next trip there. I find myself stateside on average every other month (whether for same-day shopping trips or returning from a weekend or vacation trip) so my shopping patterns there are fairly regular. If going for a same-day trip, I plan my trips around when Sam's Club has their bi-monthly instant savings booklet offers (that's how I got an awesome deal on the frozen Tyson buffalo wings), as the bulk of my shopping is done at that store. And I always take advantage of the NEXUS lane at the Alexandria Bay crossing and time myself to arrive when the lane is open, to avoid the Saturday border lineups entering the U.S.

I actually live not far from where you used to - just up the hill adjacent to Trim Road. Not sure if you've been back recently, but they're well on their way in completing the widening project. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7559 posts
1341 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 12:06 pm
I didn't realize you could predict where exchange rates are headed. I use the Chase Amazon.ca Visa, so I pay $1.245 for a US Dollar.
And predictions could be wrong. Good for you. By using that card, you are saving 10 cents a pound on chicken breast.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7106 posts
1616 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:27 pm
And predictions could be wrong. Good for you. By using that card, you are saving 10 cents a pound on chicken breast.
And I don't have to shop at gross ass foodymart :)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18705 posts
2070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
LNahid2000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 9:43 am
Since when?
It was pretty close to that last week. I was at BMO and they told me it $1.26.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7559 posts
1341 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:30 pm
And I don't have to shop at gross ass foodymart :)
Pricematch FTW
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes
I haven't been back for a while, but I use to run daily past that Timmies on the corner up and down the hill to Petrie and back to the subdivision. I am guessing that park n ride is still there and the new hotel by the police station is now fully open?

I also have a Nexus card and use that for my trips crossing via the alexandria bay. So is the Sam's club membership really worth it, and how does one go about getting a membership if Canadian? You might be able to answer this, someone said there is a place before the customs that you can have parcels delivered to without going to ogdensburg...do you know of this place?
HearMe wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:01 pm
You're welcome! Always glad to help out here and share things that others may find useful. I shop both Canada and the U.S. strategically and only buy what's cheaper or the same price in Canada, or what is needed right away (typically loss leader deals and stuff like fresh produce), and otherwise wait if I know I can get a better price stateside on something that can wait until my next trip there. I find myself stateside on average every other month (whether for same-day shopping trips or returning from a weekend or vacation trip) so my shopping patterns there are fairly regular. If going for a same-day trip, I plan my trips around when Sam's Club has their bi-monthly instant savings booklet offers (that's how I got an awesome deal on the frozen Tyson buffalo wings), as the bulk of my shopping is done at that store. And I always take advantage of the NEXUS lane at the Alexandria Bay crossing and time myself to arrive when the lane is open, to avoid the Saturday border lineups entering the U.S.

I actually live not far from where you used to - just up the hill adjacent to Trim Road. Not sure if you've been back recently, but they're well on their way in completing the widening project. :)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18705 posts
2070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
springy wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:49 pm
I haven't been back for a while, but I use to run daily past that Timmies on the corner up and down the hill to Petrie and back to the subdivision. I am guessing that park n ride is still there and the new hotel by the police station is now fully open?

I also have a Nexus card and use that for my trips crossing via the alexandria bay. So is the Sam's club membership really worth it, and how does one go about getting a membership if Canadian? You might be able to answer this, someone said there is a place before the customs that you can have parcels delivered to without going to ogdensburg...do you know of this place?
At least in Niagara Fallls Sams Club didn't give 2 hoots about me being Canadian. They even let me split my membership over two people with two different addresses.