None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
679 upvotes
South of Ottawa
springy wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:49 pm
someone said there is a place before the customs that you can have parcels delivered to without going to ogdensburg...do you know of this place?
Kinek. They're located at Wellesley Island Building Supply on Cty road 191 (last exit off I81 before the bridge, just past the A-Bay off ramp).
Oct 10, 2014
33 posts
16 upvotes
Orleans, ON
springy wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 1:49 pm
I haven't been back for a while, but I use to run daily past that Timmies on the corner up and down the hill to Petrie and back to the subdivision. I am guessing that park n ride is still there and the new hotel by the police station is now fully open?

I also have a Nexus card and use that for my trips crossing via the alexandria bay. So is the Sam's club membership really worth it, and how does one go about getting a membership if Canadian? You might be able to answer this, someone said there is a place before the customs that you can have parcels delivered to without going to ogdensburg...do you know of this place?
Yep, the hotel by the police station opened in 2012, if I remember correctly. The Trim Road park and ride was also expanded further that year, too, and is now huge.

Sam's Club is definitely worth it, as you would have to go all the way to Syracuse (in the suburb of Camillus, to be precise) if you wanted to shop at Costco (it opened in October 2014; I've already been to that store twice since it opened). They have really great deals and many exclusive items as well, such as Olive Garden croutons and salad dressing, Red Lobster cheddar biscuit mix, Panera Bread salad dressing and refrigerated soups (which I bought as they were on instant savings), and Legal Sea Foods branded soups, just to name a few. I have always bought my tires from them as well, when they offer instant savings. I had actually gotten my membership way back in 2004, when I lived on the west coast, at a Seattle-area location. My Costco business membership was proof enough for them that I qualified for a Sam's Club business membership, and that's what they signed me up as. As for the address, they had to use the club's own address, as their system was not equipped to accept Canadian addresses. To this day, my membership address is still in Auburn, WA - but I've had no issues renewing and getting replacement cards as needed! Your best bet would be to check out their website (you can actually look up most of their in-store items and prices online) or to visit the store on your next trip to Watertown, and then decide if it's worth it for you.

For online packages in the Watertown area, I use U-Lock It LLC just off the Fort Drum exit on I-81 (Exit 48 / NYS-342). They are part of the Kinek network, and charge the typical $5 fee, but unlike other ones near the border that cater mainly to Canadians, this one caters to the locals (particularly military customers stationed at Fort Drum). Their main business is actually a self-storage facility and U-Haul truck rental dealer. They're husband and wife owned and very friendly, personable and helpful, and unlike the border Kinek providers, they don't charge you additional fees for holding your packages longer than a week. And they are open 7 days a week and have extended hours daily, which makes them perfect for my needs. I don't even bother using another place for my packages, as I get my $5's worth with their helpfulness, convenient hours and location, and the lack of additional fees for holding my package.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7110 posts
1622 upvotes
HearMe wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 3:32 pm
Sam's Club is definitely worth it, as you would have to go all the way to Syracuse (in the suburb of Camillus, to be precise) if you wanted to shop at Costco (it opened in October 2014; I've already been to that store twice since it opened). They have really great deals and many exclusive items as well, such as Olive Garden croutons and salad dressing, Red Lobster cheddar biscuit mix, Panera Bread salad dressing and refrigerated soups (which I bought as they were on instant savings), and Legal Sea Foods branded soups, just to name a few. I have always bought my tires from them as well, when they offer instant savings. I had actually gotten my membership way back in 2004, when I lived on the west coast, at a Seattle-area location. My Costco business membership was proof enough for them that I qualified for a Sam's Club business membership, and that's what they signed me up as. As for the address, they had to use the club's own address, as their system was not equipped to accept Canadian addresses. To this day, my membership address is still in Auburn, WA - but I've had no issues renewing and getting replacement cards as needed! Your best bet would be to check out their website (you can actually look up most of their in-store items and prices online) or to visit the store on your next trip to Watertown, and then decide if it's worth it for you.
Costco Rochester is opening in June
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
HearMe wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 3:32 pm
Sam's Club is definitely worth it.
I used to have Sam's membership, and can't say it's really worth it, even if you get one through some promotion (Groupon in my case).
Most stuff I could get at Wegman's or Walmart for same or just slightly higher price.
Chicken breast at Wegmans for $1.99/lb for example. (1.77-1.97 at Sams)
Ground beef was actually cheaper at Wegmans at $1.99, now 2.99 vs 3.48 at Sams.
Jarlsberg cheese - same price ~$5/lb.
The only thing I miss at Sams is awesome Kerrygold real butter, $6.97 for 500g(no pounds here!). I can get it in smaller packages at Wegmans, but it costs more.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2014 upvotes
Nowhere
I noticed that No Frills and Food Basics both have boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale starting tomorrow for $3.44 lb. Normally you don't see chicken this price. I wonder what is up. I actually thought the prices might be going up if it can't be imported from the US. EPcjay I don't know how you keep finding cheap chicken because I never see it that low. I even checked out the Chinese store flyers in my area and it was $3.29 lb.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21671 posts
7565 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:54 pm
I was going to call out the 30% FX rate but we're not getting that far off... I booked at 21% a bunch of days ago and it looks like the rate dropped from there.
Oh balls. I just booked some USD:

Amount:100.00 USD
Conversion Rate:1.2939
Converted Amount:129.39 CAD

/sigh
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21671 posts
7565 upvotes
Dealll wrote:
Jan 29th, 2015 12:31 pm
I used to have Sam's membership, and can't say it's really worth it, even if you get one through some promotion (Groupon in my case).
I like their equipment.
I could get some of it cheaper at a place like Webstaurant but compared to anything in Canada? No contest.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
254 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 29th, 2015 11:32 pm
I noticed that No Frills and Food Basics both have boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale starting tomorrow for $3.44 lb. Normally you don't see chicken this price. I wonder what is up. I actually thought the prices might be going up if it can't be imported from the US. EPcjay I don't know how you keep finding cheap chicken because I never see it that low. I even checked out the Chinese store flyers in my area and it was $3.29 lb.
time to load up
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14287 posts
2580 upvotes
Toronto
...and I was happy last week paying $13.21/kg @ Loblaws for Maple leaf Prime (4 pack) boneless skinless chicken breasts. (for Prime, that IS a good price)
I've also noticed that sometimes when the kg price is around $11 or less, it's a pack of two great big heavy bulky boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Aug 23, 2008
171 posts
48 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Does nobody else suspect fowl play?

<<sorry, couldn't resist>>
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 1:02 pm
Well at least McNuggets are still fair game :)
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:10 pm
Are Cadbury Cream eggs exempt?

If they're exempt please fix the OP. Very misleading! :P
rommelrommel wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 3:41 pm
I am pretty dubious that noahboady was strip searched unless there was also drug residue/paraphernalia in the car.
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 5:30 pm
There's no ban on pink slime.
rommelrommel wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 9:55 pm
And no one BS's on the Internet either.
blind56 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 7:29 am
They're exempt, everyone knows they come from bunnies not chickens!
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 28th, 2015 11:50 am
Many stores in the US plump up their chicken with brine so you get these huge chicken breasts. I find them to be very tender. Some stores are better than others. The Wegmans ones are good because they come individually wrapped so you can just throw them in the freezer. At Tops, about a year ago they had the plump ones with brine for $1.99/lb and the one small ones without for $1.79 /lb. I bought without the brine but then couldn't find them that cheap on subsequent visits.

Most of us don't live in Markham or have access to Foody Mart. I have not seen that price in years which is why I questioned it and why I buy my chicken in the US. The cheapest I've seen fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast is $3.99 lb and it is rare now to see that price. My local Walmart won't price match fresh items from the small discount stores. They even refused to PM iceberg lettuce once saying it was a different grade yet they couldn't tell me what grade their lettuce was.
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 29th, 2015 11:32 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5669 posts
1506 upvotes
Montreal
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 27th, 2015 5:30 pm
There's no ban on pink slime.
Do you believe every single food related urban legend you read? That's at least the third myth I've seen you propagate on RFD.
May 9, 2013
58 posts
82 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
Switch to Turkey and store a few in the freezer, on sale for 99cent/lb several times a year here in Vancouver area.