Automotive

Audi questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 9:15 pm
Mar 28, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Hey everyone, had a few question about leasing a Q5. I am doing a 4 year lease with 16,000kms annually and putting maximum security deposit down to minimize interest. I hope or plan to switch into a new Audi in 2-3 years if the dealership calls and does a lease swap/early lease exchange.

Details:
2018 Q5 Technik ($54,200)
S-Line Package ($2,300)
Adaptive Dampening Suspension (Sports Suspension) ($1,000)
Heads Up Display ($1,100)
Metallic Paint ($890)

Total: $59,490

1) What would be a good/maximum discount off of the price of $59,490?

2) Is it worth it to get Audi Care for $945approx. on the lease if I plan to get a new Audi in 2.5ish years. Also I don't think we will utilize the full 16,000km annually and will more likely be in the 12-14 range.

3) Is it worth it to get the lease excess wear and tear for $1199 if we hope to get a new Audi in 2.5ish years? Will the dealership be more lenient on any small dings/scratches if we stay with them for another lease?

4) Is it wise to roll in the Freight and PDI into the lease payments? I can afford to pay it up front but just wanted some opinion on this?

Thanks all! Can't wait to be in my first Audi!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
Do you really need HUD ? Just trying to save you a few bucks. Instead of this, you can use the $ towards winter tires in which you can sell them later and still recover some $

#2 .. No point. Just pay as you go

#3 .. it is kind of a lease takeover selling point, if you have it .. but not critical.

#4 .. if you have no intention to complete the 4 yrs lease, then there is no point to pay all the fees up front (ie. due on delivery) such that when you roll all the fees into the monthly lease, you are paying those fees as you go ... meaning, the eventual owner will be paying the leftover portion of those fees when he/she takes over. However, do note that for your lease takeover offer, you may have to give a fair amount of incentive to attract potential interested party.
Mar 28, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
@bobblehead

Sorry when I said Lease takeover, I mean giving it back to Audi before lease end and getting into a new lease (newer model or potentially different car).

I don't intend to give the lease to another customer on a website like leasebusters etc.

HUD- no I don't need but the instock model has it, there isn't much inventory around here. I would have to wait months to get exactly what I want, so I am settling for some extra features.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
Oh! Are you sure the dealer will work with you on this early turn in ? I have heard dealer may work with you about 3 months prior to your lease end ... 2.5 yrs ... that's a long, long way and you are hitting the steepest depreciation curve for any vehicles. Dealer will evaluate what the book value of the car vs the amount paid on your lease to date ... if the gap is huge, then you can expect to put some significant $ into the next car and/or little to no discount.

Alternatively, you should compare to lease the car for 24 months and see if they offer 12,000km per year allowance. In this way, you are off the hook, knowing all the costs involved when you signed.
Mar 28, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I will definitely look at the 2 year option. When comparing the 3 year to the 4 year- the 3 year was about 40-50 dollars more a month even though the 4 year has a 1% higher interest. I assume this has to do with the residual and depreciation.

Hard to predict what the dealer will actually do on the early turn in. They have said to me that it is more likely than not that they will call me in 2-3 years to put me into a new lease. If worst comes to worst, I am okay taking the Q5 for the full 4 years.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
yup. residual and interest rate are the factor.

I think 36 months would be an ideal lease term. Right now, there is absolutely no factory incentive to get into a 18 Q5. I guess you will have to duke it out on the dealer side discount, if you get like 5% off, you would be getting a decent deal, as long those bogus and inflated dealer admin fee is also negotiated as well.
Mar 28, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
@bobblehead thanks for your input.

I will await the Audi sales people in the group to respond on my first question about the discount.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
In your example, MSRP $59,490

$0 down
36 months
3.9% interest
assumed 4.5% discount
assumed $2900 in fees (negotiated to)
16,000km per year
64% residual

Projected monthly - $760 + taxes
Due on delivery - first + security (if required) + license + PPSA
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
3897 posts
415 upvotes
Caledon
As far as discounts, if they have a vehicle in stock they will want more money for it. The reasoning behind it is "how much is not waiting worth to you?". If you order a car, at least in the GTA, you should 3 or even 4% off, an in stock car maybe 2% off. Not sure about Vancouver though.
Mar 28, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
@afretes Thanks I will aim for that type of discount.

As an Audi rep, do you have any comment of pulling customers out of leases early to get them into a new car. How often does it happen? If so, at what point of the contract?

Thanks!
Sep 9, 2005
259 posts
12 upvotes
I’m looking at a 2017 q7 technik demo with 1000km on it. Driver assistance plus, hitch, audio connect. $78670. They adding all the extras freight pdi and all that stuff to $81555. Should I pay for pdi since it’s a demo? How do I negotiate this deal?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
I say just submit a one number offer. I think $74,000 - $74,500 + taxes would be very fair. After all, it is a 1 model yr old car.

If you buy new, you would take the msrp - say 6% and add $2800 in fees = $76,800. Then for being a demo, I suggest to deduct $2,500 , thus $74,300 would be a target to shoot for
Sep 9, 2005
259 posts
12 upvotes
So far without coming into the dealer they said they take 79 plus taxes.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18765 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
buy new then. No point to pay $5k more for a used. Dealer can keep the car as their trophy

for new 18, take configured msrp - 3.5 - 4% dealer side discount + $2800 fees = negotiated price + taxes