Automotive

Audi questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 1:31 pm
Nov 10, 2018
198 posts
71 upvotes
Surprised to just learn from Audi After Care that if one suffers a total loss before the 4 year 80k is up and one has bought an Audi extended warranty, and after 60 days of signing the contract, then there is 0 refund.

The price differential to buy before the 4 year 80k is up for the extended warranty, ranges from next to no difference, to a few thousand $ (when one maximizes the coverage - e.g. time/mileage).

I cancelled the extended warranty I bought as a result. warning to everyone.
Nov 10, 2018
198 posts
71 upvotes
For reasons I won't disclose, I reneged on my Q8 purchase and bought a 2019 A8L at 0.45% margin.

Just so everyone knows, the markup for their extended warranty is a flat $1500. That's your negotiating room. My dealer showed me precisely cost/MSRP on the computer screen.

Dealer holdback on the A8 is 4%. That's where they are making the money.
Last edited by angryaudifanatic on Nov 17th, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3573 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 7:21 pm
This is too good to be true but it is now signed. I guess there is a holdback incentive?
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 5:47 pm
Dealer holdback on the A8 is 4%. That's where they are making the money.
Watch out! Holdback is a dirty word in Canada, esp. when it come to luxury brands. Stealers want people here to think there's no such thing as holdback and that the "invoice price" is what they actually "pay for the car" from the manufacturer.

This is how they perpetuate the idea that nobody buys a car below invoice; and, truth be told, it happens very rarely in Canada. The main times this happens is when there's a [new] car that's still on the lot the next calendar year that has the previous model year on it. Contrast to the US where cars sell below invoice all day, everyday.

But, them's the breaks. We pay more for our cars in terms of MSRP and we pay more in terms of having less actual negotiating room as well, as compared to USA. The good news is, cars are still cheaper here than many other places in the world. And we actually pay less money for the Golf .:R than US--that's all that matters, right? :D It's too bad the same can't be said for the S3 :(
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7766 posts
4541 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 8:34 am
Watch out! Holdback is a dirty word in Canada, esp. when it come to luxury brands. Stealers want people here to think there's no such thing as holdback and that the "invoice price" is what they actually "pay for the car" from the manufacturer.

This is how they perpetuate the idea that nobody buys a car below invoice; and, truth be told, it happens very rarely in Canada. The main times this happens is when there's a [new] car that's still on the lot the next calendar year that has the previous model year on it. Contrast to the US where cars sell below invoice all day, everyday.

But, them's the breaks. We pay more for our cars in terms of MSRP and we pay more in terms of having less actual negotiating room as well, as compared to USA. The good news is, cars are still cheaper here than many other places in the world. And we actually pay less money for the Golf .:R than US--that's all that matters, right? :D It's too bad the same can't be said for the S3 :(
I’d like an S3 but I’ll settle for a Golf R.
Nov 27, 2016
3 posts
I'm I'm the market for a 2018 A3 e-tron progressive, MRSP $40,900 right now in Vancouver. Anyone have experience buying this car and what's a responsible price to negotiate to? It seems like it's in pretty high demand as inventory is low, does 4-5% dealer discount sound impossible? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7766 posts
4541 upvotes
Markham
bentbean wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 7:54 am
I'm I'm the market for a 2018 A3 e-tron progressive, MRSP $40,900 right now in Vancouver. Anyone have experience buying this car and what's a responsible price to negotiate to? It seems like it's in pretty high demand as inventory is low, does 4-5% dealer discount sound impossible? Thanks.
I got one. It's not low inventory that's a problem, as far as I was told. It was the fact that every dealership only gets a set amount (small amount) of cars per year. So the stock is low, and the demand is about as high as they're willing to ship this car.

I ordered one in June and I got it in September. I received 4% off the invoice, but I got it right before the government shut down the rebate... so they may have been motivated to move this unit. Seeing as you are in BC, there may not be any motivation. But give it a shot anyway.

A little about this car, as I've had it for around 5k km now.

Electric range and Mileage:
- If you're not using the AC or heat, then you can get around 40-45km per charge. But you gotta really drive it like a granny.
- If you use the AC or heat, then expect a realistic range of 20-25km per charge. Still drive it like a granny.
- The tank is 40L and it uses Premium gas.
- I have a 240V charger at home so I charge it every opportunity I get.
- My mileage was around 2.3L / 100km in late Summer and Fall.
- My mileage in the winter (with heat on) is around 4L / 100km
- My hydro bill is around $15-$20 more per month for charging it more than one time a day
- If you drive it in pure Hybrid mode, expect 5.5L / 100km
- If you drive it ICE mode only, expect around 6.5L / 100km

Performance:
- It's fast, it's GTI territory if you got any electric juice left.
- Official numbers are in the low 7 seconds from 0-100
- Unofficially, put the car in Dynamic and S-mode, you're gonna easily get around 6.6 seconds from 0-100
- The 1.4T engine is not the quickest, so if you're out of juice... you're gonna be driving a fairly laid back Jetta (with an extra 300kg battery)
- Electric engine alone is pretty cool off the line, as the torque is instant, but you can feel the lack of power (100hp) later on
- I hardly use the brakes now, just on more emergency situations. You will learn to brake with regen fairly quickly.
Jan 15, 2018
55 posts
74 upvotes
Okay I dont know if it's a practice here to post photos of the car you get after you ask for advice but here's mine :)

I ended up getting an A3 Diesel, it's a Technik with the S-Line package, the only thing that its missing is the ACC. I've had it for about a week and I love, love the car. It feels quick and nimble on its feet, what I like the most is the DSG it shifts really fast on demand and keeps the RPMs where you need them for torque.

What I've done so far: enabled the lap timer(just because), oil temp display and second bluetooth connection, needle sweep as well.
I'm planning on enabling the full map navigation in the color DIS instead of just arrows. Tempted by a Malone tune as well... still debating because of potential warranty issues.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
4233 posts
520 upvotes
Caledon
FrozenFinger wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:46 pm
Okay I dont know if it's a practice here to post photos of the car you get after you ask for advice but here's mine :)

I ended up getting an A3 Diesel, it's a Technik with the S-Line package, the only thing that its missing is the ACC. I've had it for about a week and I love, love the car. It feels quick and nimble on its feet, what I like the most is the DSG it shifts really fast on demand and keeps the RPMs where you need them for torque.

What I've done so far: enabled the lap timer(just because), oil temp display and second bluetooth connection, needle sweep as well.
I'm planning on enabling the full map navigation in the color DIS instead of just arrows. Tempted by a Malone tune as well... still debating because of potential warranty issues.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help.
Congratulations!!
Dec 12, 2010
587 posts
109 upvotes
hi Audi A4 owners,
I have existing winter tires from another car - size 205/60R16. Would it fit on the current gen A4?
All the specs online shows only 17 or 18 inch rims, not sure if 16inch will clear.

thanks!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
4233 posts
520 upvotes
Caledon
chaugh wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:25 am
hi Audi A4 owners,
I have existing winter tires from another car - size 205/60R16. Would it fit on the current gen A4?
All the specs online shows only 17 or 18 inch rims, not sure if 16inch will clear.

thanks!
17" is the smallest wheels you can use on an A4.
Nov 10, 2018
198 posts
71 upvotes
Vesuvius gray is a dark charcoal that is offered on some 2019 models. Anyone with experience with dark charcoal? Is it as big of a pain to care for as black cars?
Nov 8, 2017
35 posts
8 upvotes
Would now be a good time to get a good deal on a 2018 S5 sportback? I was wondering what the inventory situation is like in Canada with the 2019s arriving soon, are dealers feeling the pressure to sell off their remaining '18s? Considering making the switch from my current Benz to an Audi.