• Jun 10th, 2015 4:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes

Audi's traffic jam assist feature

Has anyone successfully hacked this to make it drive autonomously all the time?

Seems like it would be a great idea to cut down on commuting stress.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2009
5162 posts
1253 upvotes
Caledon
Some of that is already available in our vehicles, adaptive cruise with stop and go feature as well as lane assist.
[removed external advertising links]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
4021 posts
3238 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
afretes wrote: Some of that is already available in our vehicles, adaptive cruise with stop and go feature as well as lane assist.
there's a difference. i think that on most cars, adaptive cruise control will not engage if the vehicle is travelling below a certain speed.

oh hey, you're that audi/vw dealer! are there any VWs that have adaptive cruise control or jam assist?
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3142 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Same thing as Distronic Plus?

It's easy enough to "cheat" the system. Just lean back and keep a knee in contact with the steering wheel.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
MikeMC12 wrote: Same thing as Distronic Plus?

It's easy enough to "cheat" the system. Just lean back and keep a knee in contact with the steering wheel.
How would you cheat the system for it to drive for you? Turn Active Lane Assist on and set Distronic Plus? How would that work on curves?
dc200 wrote: there's a difference. i think that on most cars, adaptive cruise control will not engage if the vehicle is travelling below a certain speed.

oh hey, you're that audi/vw dealer! are there any VWs that have adaptive cruise control or jam assist?
On the Benz Adaptive Cruise control, it is able to fully stop the vehicle and start it again without ever touching anything.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1146 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
Oh God.....like I don't see this being misused by the general population once this becomes mass market. Texting, phone calls, putting on makeup, eating a bucket of KFC, working on the laptop, parties in the car. Why do I have to pay full attention to the road when my car can drive itself for me.....

Do these companies think ahead on stuff like this and how their technology will be applied?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3142 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
KiraSensei wrote: How would you cheat the system for it to drive for you? Turn Active Lane Assist on and set Distronic Plus? How would that work on curves?
Yes, Active Lane Assist will steer for you, while the ACC will modulate the gas/brakes. It will only work at certain conditions though (the self steering will only work under certain speed, ACC won't work in bad weather). The "cheat" is to have the knee in contact with the wheel, since the the Active Lane Assist would tell you to grab the wheel if you let it go for too long. Although personally I would still grab the wheel even if I had Distronic Plus, the ACC would be relaxing enough for me.

Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
MikeMC12 wrote: Yes, Active Lane Assist will steer for you, while the ACC will modulate the gas/brakes. It will only work at certain conditions though (the self steering will only work under certain speed, ACC won't work in bad weather). The "cheat" is to have the knee in contact with the wheel, since the the Active Lane Assist would tell you to grab the wheel if you let it go for too long. Although personally I would still grab the wheel even if I had Distronic Plus, the ACC would be relaxing enough for me.

Im not sure if i trust my car enough to do that, since they dont really advertise it as a self driving feature.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
If every care on the road had these features traffic would move so much nicer.

I wonder how the audi handles people cutting infront of your when your car leaves a huge gap all the time.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
Super_Chicken wrote: If every care on the road had these features traffic would move so much nicer.

I wonder how the audi handles people cutting infront of your when your car leaves a huge gap all the time.
No idea on Audi, but on a Benz, it stops abruptly to keep the set distance.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1963 posts
193 upvotes
I love distronic plus.

Amazing feature, well worth the $$$.
Sep 13, 2010
592 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
So in a couple years we basically won't have to do anything in the car to get from point A to point B?
Is it just me or there are way to main driving aids? Are these gimmicks or people actually use them all the time?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Look at how slow this thing is driving, keeping a 5 car distance in front causing even more traffic.
Oct 13, 2007
21 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
KiraSensei wrote: No idea on Audi, but on a Benz, it stops abruptly to keep the set distance.
That sounds terrible, seems like it would just cause a chain reaction of everyone behind slamming their brakes.