• Jul 12th, 2016 10:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
4647 posts
6 upvotes

Auditor Apprenticeship Program with CRA

Has anyone completed the apprenticeship with the Canada Revenue Agency?

In addition they how are the "Wonderlic Personnel Test" & "CRA Writing Skills Test."

My test is this week and I was wondering how I could prepare for it, in advance of course.
2344 replies
Sep 15, 2006
303 posts
3 of my close co-workers are ex-CRA, and were all recruited into the AAP program upon graduation.

This was a few years back, but I believe the starting salary was big 4, with the exception that you only work 37.5 / week. From what I've been told its a great program. Excellent learning and practical experience, which opens up a lot of doors in the lucrative world of tax.

2 of them are now working in planning, and one is working in appeals alongside lawyers. So you do have a lot of opportunities in the profession and industry, once you get sick of working for the gov.

My cousin wrote the Wonderic and writing test last year (not for CRA), he was pretty stressed over it but did fine. Quite honestly to fail the test, you need to have the mental capacity of moron + the English skills of a ESL student. The pass rate is ridiculously low at like 50%.

One of my colleagues do browse here, maybe he will chip in with his thoughts.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
4647 posts
6 upvotes
gfunk333 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2007 12:52 am
3 of my close co-workers are ex-CRA, and were all recruited into the AAP program upon graduation.

This was a few years back, but I believe the starting salary was big 4, with the exception that you only work 37.5 / week. From what I've been told its a great program. Excellent learning and practical experience, which opens up a lot of doors in the lucrative world of tax.

2 of them are now working in planning, and one is working in appeals alongside lawyers. So you do have a lot of opportunities in the profession and industry, once you get sick of working for the gov.

My cousin wrote the Wonderic and writing test last year (not for CRA), he was pretty stressed over it but did fine. Quite honestly to fail the test, you need to have the mental capacity of moron + the English skills of a ESL student. The pass rate is ridiculously low at like 50%.

One of my colleagues do browse here, maybe he will chip in with his thoughts.
Yeah I took a glance at the example questions and they were straightforward.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1082 posts
100 upvotes
Stouffville
Damn,

Common, Ramazan!!! Relax, lol you always stress way tooo much :D
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1025 posts
133 upvotes
KINGSTON, Ontario
I'm in the sixth month of the AAP.

If you've specific questions, I'll pass on the bits I know.

Dave
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes
dgodsell wrote:
Oct 17th, 2007 8:25 pm

Dave
How are you liking it? What kind of work are you doing right now? I'm writing the test soon as well.

Assuming I do well on the tests (wonderlic + English skills or whatever it's called), what's next?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1082 posts
100 upvotes
Stouffville
dgodsell wrote:
Oct 17th, 2007 8:25 pm

Dave
what was the tests like and stuff?

please do tell.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1169 posts
8 upvotes
FYI: Experience in auditing tax returns with the CRA is practically a must for any accountant who wants to open his own office. Get as much out of the experience there as you can and make sure to keep relationships with people there - because many of them will stay there and will come in handy when you have questions relevant to your own clients.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1025 posts
133 upvotes
KINGSTON, Ontario
batman321123 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2007 9:31 pm
How are you liking it? What kind of work are you doing right now? I'm writing the test soon as well.

Assuming I do well on the tests (wonderlic + English skills or whatever it's called), what's next?
The program here in Newfoundland seems alright, though I don't have anything to compare to.

I am auditing small businesses with revenue less than $300,000.

I didn't write the exams. I was bridged in via my work-terms.
Oct 18, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
I took it today. I did not prepare but just had a glance at the sample questions on the website. The Wonderlic was stressful and I could only finished 39 out of 50.
ramaslamma wrote:
Oct 15th, 2007 11:42 pm
Has anyone completed the apprenticeship with the Canada Revenue Agency?

In addition they how are the "Wonderlic Personnel Test" & "CRA Writing Skills Test."

My test is this week and I was wondering how I could prepare for it, in advance of course.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
4647 posts
6 upvotes
yeah took it today as well, i managed to finish 47 out of 50.
Oct 18, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
That's awsome!Congratulations!

I heard the passing mark is 23 though. But the more score, the better.
Aug 24, 2006
34 posts
ah i took it too

i did really bad on the 1st test only answered 31 out the 50, before the time ran out

doubt im going to get to the interview
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9353 posts
2770 upvotes
Ottawa
My wife also took it and she completed 35 questions out of 50. It doesn't mean she will get 35/50 but we will see

An interesting comment that my wife heard in the testing session from some participants: Some of the people who write the tests are already working for CRA in different capacities and will have the advantage in the selection process. Can anyone confirm on this ? If so that really sucks, it is supposed to be a fair and transparent process.

But that's life in the big city. The only thing you can do is give it your best effort.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Dec 16, 2006
636 posts
4 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Oct 21st, 2007 10:05 am
An interesting comment that my wife heard in the testing session from some participants: Some of the people who write the tests are already working for CRA in different capacities and will have the advantage in the selection process. Can anyone confirm on this ? If so that really sucks, it is supposed to be a fair and transparent process.
Some government employees do apply for higher positions through external postings. In this case they may be clerks that recently completed their degrees and therefore qualify for the AAP. Current employees know the culture and how the agency works and may have an advantage in answering questions during the interview (if they can get that far).
STERCUS ACCIDIT :cheesygri
× < >