Off Topic

Locked: Auditor General says Presto smart card cost has ballooned to $700 million

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2012 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
61 upvotes
vero95 wrote: please elaborate. do you know even what kind of system you can get for 700 million dollars? LOL
stop cr*pping this forum LOL
Like I said, the original contract was for $250M and they went back to them for additional work and add-ons to the original project. The size of the project simply became bigger and therefore a greater price tag. Is this such a difficult concept for you to understand?
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote: Like I said, the original contract was for $250M and they went back to them for additional work and add-ons to the original project. The size of the project simply became bigger and therefore a greater price tag. Is this such a difficult concept for you to understand?
the size became bigger 3 times so they charged 3 times more? :-o
dude, who th f**k cares if it was an original project or an upgrade? do you understand what you can buy for 700 million dollars? :facepalm:
what part of "one of the most expensive transit systems in the world" don't you understand?

what about the project managemet cr*p you were talking about? do you agree you were trolling? LOL
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
562 upvotes
manmanny wrote: Are Canadian lazy or incapable or corrupt? How come every time a project is taken it costs millions or billions of dollars more compared to what initially projected. As long it is taxpayers then just spend it. Then tax it to people and again spend it and then ask for more.
because private companies are the same. projects always go insanely overbudget especially large scale ones, you just don't hear about it because they don't have to report it for everybody.

atleast we aren't HP or Time Warner, or Mercedes or Boeing, or Airbus Industries, Suncor, any resource company or every other private company? lol

are you just lazy or incapable of looking at the real world?

this is what happens when you have a bunch of degenerates on rfd who know nothing of the real world because they are so far removed from it or so far down the corporate ladder they don't have a clue what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Dina_E wrote: rofl public sector unions
Is Accenture unionized? Metrolinx? Who's the union we're talking about here?
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
flashy_mcflash wrote: Is Accenture unionized? Metrolinx? Who's the union we're talking about here?
is Metrolinx a private company?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
gilboman wrote: because private companies are the same. projects always go insanely overbudget especially large scale ones, you just don't hear about it because they don't have to report it for everybody.

atleast we aren't HP or Time Warner, or Mercedes or Boeing, or Airbus Industries, Suncor, any resource company or every other private company? lol

are you just lazy or incapable of looking at the real world?

this is what happens when you have a bunch of degenerates on rfd who know nothing of the real world because they are so far removed from it or so far down the corporate ladder they don't have a clue what happens.
are you saying privately funded projects are over budgeted at the same level as publicly funded?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
They are not. I'm just trying to clarify which union we're trying to villify here and for what reason.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20643 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: I'm happy the Ontario Liberals are spending $700 Million on a sole source contract to build a smart card fare system that already has to be replaced by the "next gen presto."

What was wrong with an off the shelf solution?
this is my question...

Why was Accenture brought on to build a brand new system/code that is pretty much proprietary? Why not use an off-the-shelf solution that is configured for our GO Train/TTC etc systems...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
I wonder what was an upgrade on that card that made the cost go from 250 million to 700 million :-o
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
vero95 wrote: are you saying privately funded projects are over budgeted at the same level as publicly funded?
Here's a look at the track record of Accenture, a private company, and their work with government contracts.
Accenture Problem Contracts and Investments

Ontario Welfare - For the third time since 1998, Ontario's provincial auditor has sharply criticized the government's dealings with Accenture. Auditor Erik Peters called the firm's social assistance system "seriously flawed" and "a bad deal for taxpayers." The contract has cost more than $400 million - and counting. The original cost was supposed to be capped at $180 million. Peters called payments to Accenture "questionable" because savings on which the payments were based "were exaggerated."

In early March 2000, the Ontario government fitted social services workers with tracking devices in a 16- week trial to track their activities virtually every minute of every day. These "Big Brotherish" boxes, the brainchild of Accenture, would beep several times every hour, and workers would have to punch in a code to indicate what they were doing at that moment.

From Ottawa Citizen Editorial disparaging the contract between the Ontario Government and Accenture for the restructure of the welfare system: "when it comes to dealing with high priced consultants, you pay dearly. And why not? Private companies wish, quite understandably, to maximize their profits. They are not in the business of saving taxpayers money. The lesson is that if a service truly needs to be provided by government, then government should do the job." ["Accent on Savings", Ottawa Citizen Editorial, October 22, 2001]

Ohio Welfare System - Up to 1998, the former welfare director of Ohio, Arnold Tompkins, awarded nearly $26 million in un-bid contracts to Accenture and later, after he left public office, was given a $10,000 a month job from Accenture. After leaving office, he was found in breach of conflict of interest which ended in a 'slap in the wrist' for the guilty Tompkins, as he received only a sentence of 300 hours of service to develop a plan to "integrate county based law enforcement computer systems."

Nebraska - Accenture billed Nebraska $24 million over the original estimate to automate social services programs. The state auditor called the project "the most wasteful I have ever heard of. Its like pouring money down a deep dark hole."

New York 'Connections' Child Monitoring Computer System - With software, programming and monitoring provided by Accenture [IBM provided the hardware], this system to enable private and public agencies to track child abuse reports has been filled with problems. It is incomplete, was nearly 3 years overdue, and cost $362 million up to early 1999 which is 3 times the original price tag. Accenture has been unaccountable as their responsibilities were not spelled out, leaving New York at Accenture's mercy. For example, Accenture projected 5,448 billable days of working on the project, and it has grown to over 28,000, all at the expense of taxpayers.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
flashy_mcflash wrote: They are not. I'm just trying to clarify which union we're trying to villify here and for what reason.
you need to find out what unions they have at metrolinx
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9560 posts
86 upvotes
Oakville, ON
There are no unions at Metrolinx.

GO Transit is ATU local 1587. Those are mainly bus drivers and some office staff.

The level of ignorance is staggering in this thread when it comes to simple searches to discover facts.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
flashy_mcflash wrote: Here's a look at the track record of Accenture, a private company, and their work with government contracts.
if they are so expensive, I guess someone must have seen an advantage of continuing doing business with them, no?
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath accused the Liberal government of being “stubbornly fixated on this particular supplier for this card.”
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
king_george wrote: There are no unions at Metrolinx.

GO Transit is ATU local 1587. Those are mainly bus drivers and some office staff.

The level of ignorance is staggering in this thread when it comes to simple searches to discover facts.
right, because everyone should know that GO is ATU local 1587 :facepalm:
btw, it's not about unions but reckless spending of public money
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
And Presto still sucks. I reloaded my card $10 2 weeks ago and my balance is still $2.60
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!