Off Topic

Locked: Auditor General says Presto smart card cost has ballooned to $700 million

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2012 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6711 posts
51 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:28 am
the size became bigger 3 times so they charged 3 times more? :-o
what about the project managemet cr*p you were talking about? do you agree you were trolling? LOL
Clearly common sense escapes your sense of logic. You're obviously trolling to have flamed someone's post when it was completely factual. Anyone who understands project management understands that the size of the project can change. It was never a cost of $700M to do the work that was originally contracted for $250M. That is all BornRuff was saying. You had to start crying about what he wrote was crap.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:28 am
dude, who th f**k cares if it was an original project or an upgrade? do you understand what you can buy for 700 million dollars? :facepalm:
what part of "one of the most expensive transit systems in the world" don't you understand?
What does understanding what one can buy for $700M have to do with anything? As pointed out earlier, what is out there right now certainly isn't all that we are getting for that money. A portion of that cost has gone into development for future upgrades and the future deployment of it. By the time that is rolled out, it may be one of the most expensive transit systems in the world but it will also be the most advanced.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
78 upvotes
Jasonn12 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:26 am
This technology is still many years away. It also isn't available on many phones (including the iphones). It has also shown to have massive security issues. This technology is certainly the future but I really hope they aren't wasting tax payer money on technology that huge corporations like Google and Mastercard are still trying to figure out.
That's weird, London rolled them out today. Just because something isn't on the almighty iPhone doesn't mean it's not viable. This isn't the future, it's the near-future, or the present.

Will there be security concerns and bugs? Sure. But that's not a reason to throw the system out or not prepare for it.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2004
589 posts
25 upvotes
I was trying to find out how much other systems cost to develop (i.e. HK's octopus card) and didn't find any monetary numbers. What I did find funny is this:

"To further enhance customer convenience, the MTR devised a future development strategy in 1993. The contactless smart card technology was subsequently recognised as the most appropriate platform for fare collection."

1993 folks...launched officially in Sept 1997. We are in 2012 and we can't get this garbage right.

http://www.octopus.com.hk/about-us/corp ... index.html
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:36 am
Clearly common sense escapes your sense of logic. You're obviously trolling to have flamed someone's post when it was completely factual. Anyone who understands project management understands that the size of the project can change. It was never a cost of $700M to do the work that was originally contracted for $250M. That is all BornRuff was saying. You had to start crying about what he wrote was crap.


What does understanding what one can buy for $700M have to do with anything? As pointed out earlier, what is out there right now certainly isn't all that we are getting for that money. A portion of that cost has gone into development for future upgrades and the future deployment of it. By the time that is rolled out, it may be one of the most expensive transit systems in the world but it will also be the most advanced.
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget? you are confused, dude :facepalm:
project management and project cost are completely two different things. why do you even bring that up? if you are so naive, you should really think before you post anything so that people who try to find logic in your post do not get frustrated :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6711 posts
51 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:17 am
do you have any evidence the upgrades are worth $450 million if the initial cost was only $250 million?
Don't be lazy. Just read the MANY news articles there are about it out there. Even the one in the OP's link clearly states:
"The auditor attributed the climbing cost of Presto to a failure to expand on the base Presto system. Instead Metrolinx developed a new, expanded system called Presto Next Generation."
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
J W wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:37 am
I was trying to find out how much other systems cost to develop (i.e. HK's octopus card) and didn't find any monetary numbers. What I did find funny is this:

"To further enhance customer convenience, the MTR devised a future development strategy in 1993. The contactless smart card technology was subsequently recognised as the most appropriate platform for fare collection."

1993 folks...launched officially in Sept 1997. We are in 2012 and we can't get this garbage right.

http://www.octopus.com.hk/about-us/corp ... index.html
the initial cost of octopus card was $100-200million I believe
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6711 posts
51 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget? you are confused, dude :facepalm:
project management and project cost are completely two different things. why do you even bring that up? if you are so naive, you should really think before you post anything so that people who try to find logic in your post do not get frustrated :facepalm:
Because you seem to believe that projects do not go over budget. Anyone who understands project management knows that it can. oh and for you to say project management and project costs are two different things is the biggest joke i have ever heard ROFL. You clearly have no clue what project management is.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:43 am
Don't be lazy. Just read the MANY news articles there are about it out there. Even the one in the OP's link clearly states:
"The auditor attributed the climbing cost of Presto to a failure to expand on the base Presto system. Instead Metrolinx developed a new, expanded system called Presto Next Generation."
do you understand that "developed"is a past tense of "develop"? :facepalm:
do you understand that "will develop" is the form to be used if you want to express future? :facepalm:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:44 am
Because you seem to believe that projects do not go over budget. Anyone who understand project management knows that it can.
LOL what makes you think I do not believe projects go over budget? LOL every contractor bids as low as possible to get the project and then tries to get over budget
we are talking about how much over budget is acceptable ;)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6711 posts
51 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:47 am
LOL what makes you think I do not believe projects go over budget? LOL every contractor bids as low as possible to get the project and then tries to get over budget
we are talking about how much over budget is acceptable ;)
Because BornRuff clearly explained what in fact happened but it was far beyond your capacity to comprehend it. The original contract was $250M, and it did NOT inflate to $700M. How hard is that for you to understand???? The project size grew, therefore so did the cost. Yet you think that is crap, what a joke.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6711 posts
51 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:45 am
do you understand that "developed"is a past tense of "develop"? :facepalm:
do you understand that "will develop" is the form to be used if you want to express future? :facepalm:
What is your point? Nothing wrong with what I said. Yes PNG has been developed, but that hasn't even been deployed yet. Like I said, what is out there right now certainly isn't all that we are getting for that money. A portion of that $700M has gone into development for future upgrades to Presto and the future deployment of it.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
I' like to take this opportunity (for the 11th time this year) to thank all harpy supporters for their wise decision.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
55 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ever1221 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 12:14 pm
I' like to take this opportunity (for the 11th time this year) to thank all harpy supporters for their wise decision.
And thanks for that ill advised trolling for the xx times.
This is about Ontario
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:51 am
Because BornRuff clearly explained what in fact happened but it was far beyond your capacity to comprehend it. The original contract was $250M, and it did NOT inflate to $700M. How hard is that for you to understand???? The project size grew, therefore so did the cost. Yet you think that is crap, what a joke.
BornRuff has no clue what happened and neither do you. he and you are misleading the public as if the costs were justified and cover future development
BornRuff is a known troll. he trolls on many subjects on this forum and keeps many questions unanswered. his specialty is making statements without being able to deliver any proof for them ;)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:56 am
What is your point? Nothing wrong with what I said. Yes PNG has been developed, but that hasn't even been deployed yet. Like I said, what is out there right now certainly isn't all that we are getting for that money. A portion of that $700M has gone into development for future upgrades to Presto and the future deployment of it.
my point is clear: you did not provide any proof that $700 million went toward the future expansion of the card
to make things even more idiotic for you you provided as a proof a quote that contradicts your claim :facepalm: you ridiculed yourself ;)

Top