• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2020 7:09 am
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
**Surcharge of $200 for exotic class vehicles: Acura NSX, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi R Series, BMW M Series, Bugatti, Bentley, Corvette, Cadillac XLR/CTS-V, Dodge Ram SRT10, Viper, Ferrari, Ford GT40, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lexus LFA, Maserati, Mercedes Benz AMG Series, Porsche, Lotus, Maybach, McLaren, Nissan GTR, Rolls-Royce, Volkswagen Arteon RLine
VW moving up in the world wootwoot (or is it down being on this list?) haha. Not sure if this is a one-time charge or a per claim charge.

Honestly these aftermarket warranties are useless unless you know someone who's used them and has experience with how they handle claims. The only news/info on this company i can find is their 1 press release, which is not ideal. The warranty is only valid if they stay in business. Who knows if this company will be around for 4 years.
What are my maintenance requirements?
To keep your warranty valid you are required to have an oil and oil filter change with all fluids checked/topped-up at every 6 months or 12,000 KM interval, whichever comes first. Maintaining proper oil and filter changes with proper fluid levels will help keep your vehicle safe and reliable. This will also protect your vehicle against avoidable and inconvenienced breakdowns.
6 months / 12,000km is pretty strict for the average person, i'm guessing this'll get them out of the average large claim if they are picky.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
They claim to be "secured" by dejardin. It'd be interested in seeing their contract and finding out more information about the business arrangement they have with dejardin.
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
7248 posts
1322 upvotes
London
dealguy2 wrote: They claim to be "secured" by dejardin. It'd be interested in seeing their contract and finding out more information about the business arrangement they have with dejardin.
You and me both. Going to do some sleuthing.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
I'd save my money for when the car actually breaks down.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: I'd save my money for when the car actually breaks down.
That is what I do. I just took the cost of the extended warranty when I bought my vehicle new, and invested that amount into a TFSA. The amount has more than doubled in that time and the costs I have had to pay for repairs were less than the extended warranty amount. It also helps to purchase a vehicle that is known for reliability so the odds of expensive repairs is reduced.

Extended Warranties are great under the following situations:

- Buying a luxury ride (BMW, Audi, Benz) and keeping the vehicle past the 4 year warranty
- Buying a vehicle that has a poor track record for reliability
- Buying a warranty if you want to keep the car for a long period (7+ years) and want some peace of mind.

The key is to READ the fine print and in particular, the stuff that they EXCLUDE or don't cover. Most likely it will be those items that will break down and the warranty won't help you with those things.

The one time I got an extended warranty was for my Toyota Camry back in 2002. The warranty didn't cover the timing belt, but covered the water pump. When I had to do the belt replacement, the pump was leaking. As a result, I just paid for the part value for the timing and other belts and the water pump and labour was covered under warranty. $180 for a timing belt/water pump, all belt service was a great deal for a job that typically would cost 3x that. At the end of it, I pretty much broke even on the extended warranty cost, and actually lost the opportunity cost that I could have made if I invested the cost of the warranty into stocks.
Dec 19, 2017
9 posts
4 upvotes
hightech wrote: That is what I do. I just took the cost of the extended warranty when I bought my vehicle new, and invested that amount into a TFSA. The amount has more than doubled in that time and the costs I have had to pay for repairs were less than the extended warranty amount. It also helps to purchase a vehicle that is known for reliability so the odds of expensive repairs is reduced.

Extended Warranties are great under the following situations:

- Buying a luxury ride (BMW, Audi, Benz) and keeping the vehicle past the 4 year warranty
- Buying a vehicle that has a poor track record for reliability
- Buying a warranty if you want to keep the car for a long period (7+ years) and want some peace of mind.

The key is to READ the fine print and in particular, the stuff that they EXCLUDE or don't cover. Most likely it will be those items that will break down and the warranty won't help you with those things.

The one time I got an extended warranty was for my Toyota Camry back in 2002. The warranty didn't cover the timing belt, but covered the water pump. When I had to do the belt replacement, the pump was leaking. As a result, I just paid for the part value for the timing and other belts and the water pump and labour was covered under warranty. $180 for a timing belt/water pump, all belt service was a great deal for a job that typically would cost 3x that. At the end of it, I pretty much broke even on the extended warranty cost, and actually lost the opportunity cost that I could have made if I invested the cost of the warranty into stocks.
There are too many ifs here. I, for example, buying a used car and it is next to impossible to know what could go wrong at any time. I am also not a mechanic and cannot spot signs of trouble that a practicing mechanic could. This is also a purchase from a dealer, so arranging to have a local mechanic to take a look at it is not possible.
I think purchasing extended warranty will primarily depand on personal circumstances.

As for Autorepair.ca, they sure sound good and the prices are right but, 1) they dont post their exclusion list (will have to contact them for more details) and 2) they dont seem to be registered with OMVIC (Insured Warranty Providers)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Go with manufacturer extended warranty. You can take them to small claims in the worst case and they won't make the disappearing act.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes

Failing my spidey test.
Last edited by eldiablo on Jan 29th, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
Hibbing wrote: Anyone have any experience with this new direct to consumer company?
I'm thinking, You can warranty Nannies?Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 19, 2017
9 posts
4 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Go with manufacturer extended warranty. You can take them to small claims in the worst case and they won't make the disappearing act.
That's only for a new car. Cant get it on a used car.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Johnsonn wrote: That's only for a new car. Cant get it on a used car.
It's possible for a Honda, Acura or Lexus. I didn't bother checking other brands. Toyota's extended warranty on used car is not the same as the one for new cars.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)