Travel

** Australia Vacation ** Mega Thread - Places you must see, Things to do, Visa, Pets etc.

Mar 10, 2018
937 posts
44 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:19 pm
Yeah, it looks like prices are coming down for Australia which is awesome. Yet, here in Canada we are paying stupid prices to travel within our borders. I saw so much of australia and the equivalent I paid would be like flying from Toronto to Montreal. Even buying tickets within Australia on a budget airline last minute wasn’t too bad.

I noticed a lot of Canadians out of the west coast going to Australia when I was there. If possible, DO NOT fly Air Canada to Australia.
Man have so many friends in Australia. may be its good time to visit. Last time I checked the fare was around 1800/-
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31493 posts
6127 upvotes
Ottawa
callernamet wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:25 am
Man have so many friends in Australia. may be its good time to visit. Last time I checked the fare was around 1800/-
It is time to go. Actually, don't know where you are but the ticket prices have gone down quite a bit.It is a long ass fight though.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Feb 29, 2008
230 posts
43 upvotes
GTA
I took Air Canada earlier this year and taking United coming Feb.

Has anyone taken United before? Was debating upgrading to Premium Economy but been hearing it is not worth it as their premium economy is sub par comparison to Air Canada. Flight in Feb is AC to LAX and then United to Mel. Returning flight is Syd to Houston and then YYZ
Mar 10, 2018
937 posts
44 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 2:55 pm
It is time to go. Actually, don't know where you are but the ticket prices have gone down quite a bit.It is a long ass fight though.
lady sitting next to us was flying from Toronto to Shanghai and then 5 hr stop. Then direct to Sydney. She said the fair was cheap. 14 hrs is not problem for me now.
But after 9 hrs I get irritated. So I would prefer stop in HK or Singapore or somewhere. Yes I hate long flight. I try to avoid it unless it is cheap.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31493 posts
6127 upvotes
Ottawa
fuzzy2k3 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:06 pm

Has anyone taken United before? Was debating upgrading to Premium Economy but been hearing it is not worth it as their premium economy is sub par comparison to Air Canada. Flight in Feb is AC to LAX and then United to Mel. Returning flight is Syd to Houston and then YYZ
Any extra room will be well worth it. From the West Coast, it is a 15+ hour flight.....let alone getting from YYZ to the West Coast.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3492 posts
409 upvotes
fuzzy2k3 wrote:

Everytime I fly with United to, from, and around Asia, I get seated in premium economy (I have no idea why), but the seat pitch is noticeably roomier than economy on other airlines. Food is the same as their economy class, and it's comparable to Air Canada (most likely the same caterer). I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay more though if I wasn't getting it for no extra charge.

Edit: I just did some research and the reason why I was being seated on premium economy on their planes is that up to now, United did not have any distinction between economy and premium economy in terms of service and fare, which they are just about to start next year lol
Apr 30, 2009
18 posts
2 upvotes
Just returned from Australia a few days ago.
Flew AC Toronto to Sydney via Stop in Vancouver - 3-4-3 config - a lot of turbulence from YVR to SYD - hot beverages were not served until the last hour of the flight.
Return AC flight from Melbourne to Vancouver - 3-3-3 config - (paid extra $A1240 for premimum economy at the check-in counter) was delayed resulting in a lost connection to Toronto. Ended up spending extra 6 hrs to catch the flight out to Toronto. Did not receive 1 checked bag (out of 3) in Toronto. The line up to file a delayed bag was ridiculous with only 1 agent working. The bag was received and delivered the next evening.

Some Info that may be helpful:
- Upon arrival in Aus, you have to fill out Landing card; very thorough customs process
- SYD airport has a number of cell phone booths - Oputs, Telstra, Vodafone for example. We walked over to Optus (it's right in front of you as you exit with your bags). Needed 3 SIM Cards. The plan we got included shared 35GB total , unlimited talk/text within Aus, 10min free calls to CAN, valid for 28 days for $A20 each x 3 taxes incl.. If you use CC, they charge you extra $A1.65 transaction fee. They just needed our passports; swapped SIM cards and made sure all was in order. All was done in about 10 mins. The coverage was great.
- Airport luggage carts cost $A4
- Took internal flight SYD - MEL with Jetstar; found not too picky about individual carry-on (7 kg max) but for the check-in bag they are; we had pre-paid $A21 for a 20kg checked bag and $A5 for seat selection; the flight was on time
- Rented a car from MEL airport. Despite the car rental booths at the domestic terminal - no one is there. You have to walk across the terminal under Park Royal hotel to see the rental agent and pick up the car
- The weather was perfect in the mid-high 20s and some days high 30; missed downpour in SYD
- Coffee in general is expensive; a min of $A4 and they do not use 'cream'; just whole milk
- Generally, pricing is inclusive of all taxes and tipping is not required

Hope this helps/
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1133 posts
270 upvotes
fuzzy2k3 wrote:

United is good. I took it (complaint from Air Canada was from others), and the staff were generally friendly, we flew on one of the newer planes (787 Dreamliner) - had a good variety of meals and snacks served throughout. The only annoying ones were some passengers (didn't dim their window light until the flight attendant told them too, and kept reading light on). I also found the leg space to be quite comfy.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1133 posts
270 upvotes
nikej wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:15 pm
Just returned from Australia a few days ago.
Flew AC Toronto to Sydney via Stop in Vancouver - 3-4-3 config - a lot of turbulence from YVR to SYD - hot beverages were not served until the last hour of the flight.
Return AC flight from Melbourne to Vancouver - 3-3-3 config - (paid extra $A1240 for premimum economy at the check-in counter) was delayed resulting in a lost connection to Toronto. Ended up spending extra 6 hrs to catch the flight out to Toronto. Did not receive 1 checked bag (out of 3) in Toronto. The line up to file a delayed bag was ridiculous with only 1 agent working. The bag was received and delivered the next evening.

Some Info that may be helpful:
- Upon arrival in Aus, you have to fill out Landing card; very thorough customs process
- SYD airport has a number of cell phone booths - Oputs, Telstra, Vodafone for example. We walked over to Optus (it's right in front of you as you exit with your bags). Needed 3 SIM Cards. The plan we got included shared 35GB total , unlimited talk/text within Aus, 10min free calls to CAN, valid for 28 days for $A20 each x 3 taxes incl.. If you use CC, they charge you extra $A1.65 transaction fee. They just needed our passports; swapped SIM cards and made sure all was in order. All was done in about 10 mins. The coverage was great.
- Airport luggage carts cost $A4
- Took internal flight SYD - MEL with Jetstar; found not too picky about individual carry-on (7 kg max) but for the check-in bag they are; we had pre-paid $A21 for a 20kg checked bag and $A5 for seat selection; the flight was on time
- Rented a car from MEL airport. Despite the car rental booths at the domestic terminal - no one is there. You have to walk across the terminal under Park Royal hotel to see the rental agent and pick up the car
- The weather was perfect in the mid-high 20s and some days high 30; missed downpour in SYD
- Coffee in general is expensive; a min of $A4 and they do not use 'cream'; just whole milk
- Generally, pricing is inclusive of all taxes and tipping is not required

Hope this helps/
Yes, the check in process at airport overall was fantastic. I think we were there at the same time, as I had similar weather and luckily missed the sand storm in Sydney. I got almond milk which of course was 50cents to a $1 extra lol. If they can find a way, the Aussie's will charge you for it. The Brisbane airport was nice though. Sucks about the lost bags though, glad it got sorted out for you.

I had a lot of turbulence flying back from Sydney. I always hate turbulence freaks me the hell out lol

Despite the high prices and long ass flight, I will do Australia again in the near future. Now that I've basically done all the "touristy and bucket list stuff," going back again I'll be better equipped. The USA looks less and less attractive as a tourist destination, once you travel overseas, at least for me. Once Canada smartens up on domestic flights, I'll travel throughout this nation.
Nov 23, 2015
529 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
fuzzy2k3 wrote:

I liked United. If you're in Economy you won't notice much of a difference relative to AC. AC includes comp booze in econ while United only gives you wine and I think beer. Everything else - seating, meals, entertainment, service levels - are all pretty comparable between the two on flights to Australia. The fact that they used the same aircraft type on my flights (787) also made them feel very similar.

I will say though, SYD-IAH is a loooong flight. Even in biz that would be a chore.