Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton

Auto Help needed; ABS brake warning lights going on

HI, my ABS brake light has been going on and off for the past 3 or 4 days now; it seems that once I get going a little ways, perhaps a few blocks, when I go to brake, it feels as though my brakes have gotten water on them, and I feel as though my brakes are skidding [not working properly] when I go to stop. It doesn't feel serious, they still have good 'grab' to them.

My question; I have booked an appt. to take it in on Mon. to get it looked at; but I would far rather wait until Fri. to do so, as I have too much running around to do this week. Is it too risky to drive around with my ABS warning light on? It is not always on, just from time to time. Also; it is my understanding that brakes can still work with the ABS warning light on, just that the ABS feature will not be implemented, then.

Finally- could it be an expensive repair? Is there anything I need to look at, on my own, first {fluid levels, etc.} to be able to save some money?

Thanks for all of your help!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
40 upvotes
jory29 wrote:HI, my ABS brake light has been going on and off for the past 3 or 4 days now; it seems that once I get going a little ways, perhaps a few blocks, when I go to brake, it feels as though my brakes have gotten water on them, and I feel as though my brakes are skidding [not working properly] when I go to stop. It doesn't feel serious, they still have good 'grab' to them.

My question; I have booked an appt. to take it in on Mon. to get it looked at; but I would far rather wait until Fri. to do so, as I have too much running around to do this week. Is it too risky to drive around with my ABS warning light on? It is not always on, just from time to time. Also; it is my understanding that brakes can still work with the ABS warning light on, just that the ABS feature will not be implemented, then.

Finally- could it be an expensive repair? Is there anything I need to look at, on my own, first {fluid levels, etc.} to be able to save some money?

Thanks for all of your help!

er.. what car do you drive?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
you can drive with your abs warning light on. the abs wont work though, its either a bad sensor or you need a brake job.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
rdtx2002 wrote:er.. what car do you drive?
'93 GrandAM. {I prefer to spend any money I have on electronics found via RFD websites, LOL!}
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
nano wrote:you can drive with your abs warning light on. the abs wont work though, its either a bad sensor or you need a brake job.
Thanks, good to know. :)
Mar 5, 2005
155 posts
1 upvote
jory29 wrote: Finally- could it be an expensive repair? Is there anything I need to look at, on my own, first {fluid levels, etc.} to be able to save some money?
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's going to be expensive. My old '93 cutlass supreme had the same problem 2 years back and it costed me over $1000 to fix - I don't quite remember the exact amount. Now currently, my 2000 Alero has the same problem and I can't bare to fork over the money over something that I don't use that often. (Aleros are based on the same brake design as the grand am) So what I told the mechanic was to disable the light so it doesn't bug me anymore. I've been driving it like that for over a year now and I don't feel any difference.
Mar 15, 2004
221 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
My 98 Grand Am had the ABS warning light come on occassionally. It turned out to be a sensor problem. It cost me $700 to fix. I thought about living with the ABS warning light but I decided against gambling with my safety.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
ya i had da ABS sensor issue wid my sunfire, just stuck a sticker over it :)
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Aug 5, 2004
225 posts
webdoctors wrote: just stuck a sticker over it :)
Totally agree! A sticker would do. The 'engine' light on my parent's caravan was on for a while. On and off... finally decided to bring it back to the original dealer since it's THE ENGINE, and if there is anything wrong with it, it could still be covered.

A basic check-up cost us $79 plus taxes and all other associated charges...

Found out that there was nothing wrong with the engine...

The mechanics suggested that it could be the sensor... after spending a little more time on it. The mechanics reported a good news: it wasn't the sensor, it was just the light bulb :confused:

Cost us another $150

A stick will do.
Oct 18, 2001
710 posts
120 upvotes
Brampton
Very common problem with the Aleros. I had the same issue with my 99 Alero. The sensor is need the wheel bearings. So make pain in the as* to replace. The other issue you might have is that(the sensor is the same one for ABS) is the the traction control might think your slipping even if it's bone dry on the road. Would have to turn off the traction control. Thats one of the MANY problems with the Alero's. If you haven't experienced them, then get ready.
PussInBoots wrote:Man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's going to be expensive. My old '93 cutlass supreme had the same problem 2 years back and it costed me over $1000 to fix - I don't quite remember the exact amount. Now currently, my 2000 Alero has the same problem and I can't bare to fork over the money over something that I don't use that often. (Aleros are based on the same brake design as the grand am) So what I told the mechanic was to disable the light so it doesn't bug me anymore. I've been driving it like that for over a year now and I don't feel any difference.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
jory29 wrote:'93 GrandAM. {I prefer to spend any money I have on electronics found via RFD websites, LOL!}
Just disposed of my wife's '93 Sunbird - same problems..... had it off and on for years..
Have you recently (last 6 months) had your brake pads replaced or is it unusually dusty where you are now?
Could be the problem is dust covering the sensor - either brake pad dust or simply road dust. If you can find a shop that will pull the code off your chip (either cheap or for free) drive in with the ABS light on and they can read what wheel it is - then pull the wheel off and clean off the sensor. Or if you feel energetic you can pull all 4 off and clean all four sensors.
Or you can do what we did - figure out that it was the dust problem - nothing serious here folks.... and then ignore it.

HTH
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
I agree. In most cases the costs associated with replacing ABS sensors/computer is prohibitive. They all have a failsafe so if a malfunction is detected ABS is supposed to switch itself off completely. You can try spraying some lube on the sensors (if you know where to find them) as some tend to rust and seize.

From my experience ABS lights either come on permanently i.e. ABS is OFF or flash to indicate that ABS is engaged i.e. it's attempting to help you.

Your braking problem may be unrelated to ABS.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2005
3444 posts
1 upvote
b.c.
well the light is there for a reason,and usually means something is wrong.even if it is only a sensor ,you really need to have it checked out by someone who is qualified to make a proper annalysis.anything less is irresponsible on your part. :)