• Mar 23rd, 2017 12:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10903 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Auto Insurance

We have a "Ask me anything about insurance" thread but no one ever uses it. May we please sticky it or have a new, separate stickied thread dedicated to automotive insurance pricing in Ontario? A few members here give great tips and it'd be better than having a new thread pop up on insurance pricing every couple days, with the same answers being given over and over again.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4053 posts
350 upvotes
Markham
Good idea. Just like the mortgage one in personal finance.

To Mod: when I click op's link in iOS new app, nothing pop up, is this a bug?
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
Do you all think another mega-thread would prove to be of value? I'd say the community is fairly split on the idea, hence why we've created trial forums like the Wheels & Tires and Credit Card sub-forums.

The mega thread on Mortgages definitely helped me personally, but it is a lot of ever-changing information packed into one thread where by you have to literally start from the end and read backwards.

The other idea would possibly be a locked insurance FAQ thread (not sure if we can give OP access to edit it when new things pop up) but continue to allow individual threads to be created when questions arise.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4053 posts
350 upvotes
Markham
WorldIRC wrote: Do you all think another mega-thread would prove to be of value? I'd say the community is fairly split on the idea, hence why we've created trial forums like the Wheels
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4053 posts
350 upvotes
Markham
Same issue again, wrote a lot and content lost
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4053 posts
350 upvotes
Markham
One way to fix it is learning from Amazon: in Amazon review, you can review by most useful review first or newest review first. RFD should provide same search option, when I search auto insurance, it should give me option to display by most upvoted post vs newest post
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10903 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
WorldIRC wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:23 am
Do you all think another mega-thread would prove to be of value? I'd say the community is fairly split on the idea, hence why we've created trial forums like the Wheels & Tires and Credit Card sub-forums.

The mega thread on Mortgages definitely helped me personally, but it is a lot of ever-changing information packed into one thread where by you have to literally start from the end and read backwards.

The other idea would possibly be a locked insurance FAQ thread (not sure if we can give OP access to edit it when new things pop up) but continue to allow individual threads to be created when questions arise.
Of course. Auto insurance (in Ontario) does not change significantly as it is 90% similar across all insurance companies since it is regulated by FSCO. The usual answers given out are "check your rates at Insurance Hotline" or "you are new driver so high premiums are to be expected in GTA" for example.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10903 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So mods and admins? We just got a whole influx of insurance threads lately and a lot of them are the same questions being asked over and over again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9261 posts
434 upvotes
Markham
Is this gonna be just full of insurance shills?
:lol: