Auto insurance and accident forgiveness

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 9:40 am
[OP]
Sep 27, 2007
12 posts

Auto insurance and accident forgiveness

Hi all,

Just bought a new car and have narrowed my insurance to either Belaire or Scottish and York. I have some questions regarding additional benefits that they offer.

Belaire is quoting me $1686 for 1 million and 500 deductable with accident forgiveness.

Scottish and York are quoting me $1754 for the same 1 mil and 500 deductable but with both accident forgiveness and minor conviction protection.

My question is, is that minor conviction protection worth the extra premium? This is my first car so don't really know what is best in this scenario. It seems like for the extra 70 the conviction protection is worth it just in case but I've also heard your first ticket doesn't affect you anyway.

Personally, I'm 27 with no at fault accidents and two speeding tickets back when I was 20. Stupid me. Since then, I have been a "good" driver not doing stupid things.

I'd appreciate any help on the matter. Thank you!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21822 posts
6831 upvotes
Toronto
For that little more in premium, I say take the S&Y offer
[OP]
Sep 27, 2007
12 posts
The question is does Belaire really forgive first minor convictions without an increase. If they do it's a mute point right?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21822 posts
6831 upvotes
Toronto
Your orig thread said bel air is offering just accident forgiveness..
[OP]
Sep 27, 2007
12 posts
Correct but apparently your first ticket doesn't actually affect your rate???
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21822 posts
6831 upvotes
Toronto
Every insurance company has different policy on how they handle the 1st minor ticket conviction. Nobody here can predict your situation
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1736 posts
471 upvotes
Kitchener
Almost all companies impact your rates for 1 minor conviction. Its either a surcharge or a loss of the conviction free discount. I would take S&Y offer since the minor conviction waiver can save you a lot if you end up with a conviction. Depending on the company the impact for 1 conviction can be anywhere from 5-20%
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3464 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
If you do use these added value features, you need to stay with said insurance company for long time, usually 6 years until the at fault or conviction falls off your record. Belair is known to increase alot on second year for new customers. Can't say for SY. Do a search on belair if you are leaning for cheaper premium.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2302 posts
1560 upvotes
After 7 years those tickets are off your record. Belair is fine to deal with. Just an FYI though, accident forgiveness only means your rates wont increase with that company. You are essentially forced to stay with that company until it is off your record. Also read the fine print; i was told by Belair that accident forgiveness is only valid up to a certain collision amount so you may want to clarify that with both companies. In any case, I guess i hit my target a little too hard in bumper cars
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1736 posts
471 upvotes
Kitchener
tickets only are rateable for 36 months from the date of conviction. Accidents vary by company but generally anywhere between 6-10 years for rateablity.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
conviction protection works like the accident protection or accident waiver protection coverage. It forgives the oldest conviction on your record (within the past 3 years) which means they cannot surcharge you if you have 1 conviction on your record. If you have more than 1, then you'll see the s/c. I would choose the company that offers this coverage IMO. Plus see what the difference between $1mil & $2mil is and also ask for a quote for the increased accident benefits coverages which they have offered to you when you got your quote. The additional premium is minimal depending on which coverages you choose.
stefan.416 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 5:36 pm
Hi all,

Just bought a new car and have narrowed my insurance to either Belaire or Scottish and York. I have some questions regarding additional benefits that they offer.

Belaire is quoting me $1686 for 1 million and 500 deductable with accident forgiveness.

Scottish and York are quoting me $1754 for the same 1 mil and 500 deductable but with both accident forgiveness and minor conviction protection.

My question is, is that minor conviction protection worth the extra premium? This is my first car so don't really know what is best in this scenario. It seems like for the extra 70 the conviction protection is worth it just in case but I've also heard your first ticket doesn't affect you anyway.

Personally, I'm 27 with no at fault accidents and two speeding tickets back when I was 20. Stupid me. Since then, I have been a "good" driver not doing stupid things.

I'd appreciate any help on the matter. Thank you!
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
incorrect> convictions remain on your record for 3 years not 7. Lic suspensions remain on your record for 6 as do at fault accidents. Accident protection coverage protects you for your first at fault accident and your rates cannot be impacted due to the at fault. This coverage does not protect you for general rate increases.
6mthatch wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:16 pm
After 7 years those tickets are off your record. Belair is fine to deal with. Just an FYI though, accident forgiveness only means your rates wont increase with that company. You are essentially forced to stay with that company until it is off your record. Also read the fine print; i was told by Belair that accident forgiveness is only valid up to a certain collision amount so you may want to clarify that with both companies. In any case, I guess i hit my target a little too hard in bumper cars
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
correct.. some companies such as Intact have up to a 9 star rating; however, on the auto application it only asks for claims in the past 6 years. An autoplus report would show anything beyond 6 yrs for rating purposes.
peelhic wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:54 pm
tickets only are rateable for 36 months from the date of conviction. Accidents vary by company but generally anywhere between 6-10 years for rateablity.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2302 posts
1560 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 8:52 am
incorrect> convictions remain on your record for 3 years not 7. Lic suspensions remain on your record for 6 as do at fault accidents. Accident protection coverage protects you for your first at fault accident and your rates cannot be impacted due to the at fault. This coverage does not protect you for general rate increases.
Lol i know that, i was implying at 7 years they were well off the record.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
however, they would be off the record in 6 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
6mthatch wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 9:04 am
Lol i know that, i was implying at 7 years they were well off the record.