Automotive

auto insurance and tuned vehicles

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 1:16 pm
Jul 2, 2010
54 posts
2 upvotes

auto insurance and tuned vehicles

does anyone here have auto insurance for a tuned car (thinking of getting an APR stage 1 done) and if so what insurance company are you with?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Tune the car and dont say anything. I dont think there is a benefit of letting them know, its not like if you crash the car they are going to give you an extra $800 because it was tuned & they are not going to look into it and check if you were. If its not visible I dont see a reason to let them know.
duffman316 wrote: does anyone here have auto insurance for a tuned car (thinking of getting an APR stage 1 done) and if so what insurance company are you with?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Tune the car and dont say anything. I dont think there is a benefit of letting them know, its not like if you crash the car they are going to give you an extra $800 because it was tuned & they are not going to look into it and check if you were. If its not visible I dont see a reason to let them know.
I think the risk is that they could deny you coverage for modifying your car and not informing them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 8, 2015
450 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: I think the risk is that they could deny you coverage for modifying your car and not informing them.
Insurance does not cover mechanical failures regardless of it being tuned.
So it does not matter. Thats a warranty issue not insurance issue. Wont be a problem unless its been turned into a racecar
Last edited by sebakaa on Jan 8th, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
Tune an adjuster won't be able to see. What you need to worry about are visual modifications. It's up to the adjuster's discretion, but they can deny your coverage if you ever get in an accident and need to submit your claim as mentioned by @engineered. If you disclose your mods, they can refuse to offer coverage.

I was at a shop when an adjuster showed up for a friend's car and he went through it with a fine tooth comb checking for everything from performance, suspension and brake mods. I've also seen adjusters who didn't care.

I shouldn't be saying this, but if you choose to mod your car, you need to have a shop where you can have it towed to if you ever get in an accident to have it demodded.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sebakaa wrote: Insurance does not cover mechanical failures regardless of it being tuned.
So it does not matter. Thats a warranty issue not insurance issue. Wont be a problem unless its been turned into a racecar
This is not entirely true as some insurance co's will cover blown engines, such as TDMM.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41792 posts
30052 upvotes
Center of Universe
I remember reading an article where the adjuster requested the dealership to pull out the ECU and check for modifications.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sebakaa wrote: Insurance does not cover mechanical failures regardless of it being tuned.
Yea, I'm not talking about blowing up the car, I'm saying that if you crash, they may claim it was due to mods and deny coverage. Now this shouldn't be a problem for basic stuff, but if you crash because your car is stanced or something dumb like that, then it makes sense not to cover it. Same goes for lifted bro trucks.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 2, 2010
54 posts
2 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I remember reading an article where the adjuster requested the dealership to pull out the ECU and check for modifications.
christ that is scary
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41792 posts
30052 upvotes
Center of Universe
duffman316 wrote: christ that is scary
Yup.
All modern vehicles store information such as speed and whether the driver applied the brakes before a collision occurred.
Tech's are able to determine if a modification was done to the ECU (aka tune) even if we revert back to stock, as the ECU has a "write" counter.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Slap two Type R stickers on it and be done with it.