• Oct 23rd, 2014 3:20 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 26, 2014
70 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Auto lights on my Toyota often turns on highbeams

I've been wondering about the auto lights feature on my Toyota Prius. I notice if I turn it to auto, it often turns on the high beam when it gets dark so I just end up turning on my low beams manually. It would be nice if there is a way that it turns on my low beam as I sometimes forget to turn the lights on when it gets dark.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
I have the auto lights feature on my 2010 Matrix but never had it switch to high beam before.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
For the sake of being thorough to understand your issue:

Are you accidentally pushing the stick forward when you are signaling, putting it into high beam mode? Whether auto or not in your car is beside the fact. I have done this before accidentally. You will know this when there is the blue icon that comes onto your dashboard.

Or perhaps when you mean high beam you mean night lights, and low beam, you mean daytime running lights? Haven driven a few toyota and lexuses, I have had no issue of the high beam coming on automatically.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5136 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
The auto light will switch on your night light which probably has 3 modes.
Normal - Low beam mode
Pull on the stick towards you - activates high beam momentarily(spring loaded action)
Push on the stick away from you - high beam mode

You probably have it set to high beam mode so it will always use highbeam, until you pull the stick back towards you to deactivate the high beam mode.
Jun 24, 2005
745 posts
131 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wing0 wrote: The auto light will switch on your night light which probably has 3 modes.
Normal - Low beam mode
Pull on the stick towards you - activates high beam momentarily(spring loaded action)

You probably have it set to high beam mode so it will always use highbeam, until you pull the stick back towards you to deactivate the high beam mode.
I might be wrong, but your description is for Hondas. On Toyotas, you need to pull back on the stick until it clicks to engage or disengage from high beams.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
rngun wrote: I might be wrong, but your description is for Hondas. On Toyotas, you need to pull back on the stick until it clicks to engage or disengage from high beams.
On Toyotas, if you pull back the stick, high beams stays on while the stick is being held in position. If you push the stick toward the gauges, it stays on high beam. The auto-on feature automatically senses the surrounding light levels and activates the night driving lights without having the driver to switch them on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5136 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
rngun wrote: I might be wrong, but your description is for Hondas. On Toyotas, you need to pull back on the stick until it clicks to engage or disengage from high beams.
Sorry. I was thinking about Honda.
We do have toyota too and yes, you pull back complete to set high beam on or pull back slightly to activate high beam momentarily.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
wing0 wrote: The auto light will switch on your night light which probably has 3 modes.
Normal - Low beam mode

This may be the case (wrong position of headlight dimmer) but some cars also have "high beam assistant" (I think was started by Chrysler under the "SmartBeam" moniker but other makers have similar tech now) which also automatically activates high beams when permittable. In that case it could be a dirty or defective sensor (usually on the windshield glass somewhere) that is thinking there are no cars up ahead. However I'm not sure if Prius has that or not?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
If you pull the stalk on your right, the washer and wipers come on.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
does this explain the high frequency of civics driving with high beams?

i've seen at least one on every single commute, guaranteed.

ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Lately, every evening while walking my dog on a busy main street, I see at least one or two vehicles driving along with just their DRLs. Coincidentally, always the Toyota family of vehicles. One time I even saw the City of Mississauga parking enforcement officer hop into his unmarked (also Toyota) Camry, didn't turn on the headlights, and rushed to go through the intersection to start ticketing the next block of cars on Burnhamthorpe Rd in front of Celebration Square - how sad and pathetic.
Aug 30, 2005
463 posts
147 upvotes
ghotie wrote: I've been wondering about the auto lights feature on my Toyota Prius. I notice if I turn it to auto, it often turns on the high beam when it gets dark so I just end up turning on my low beams manually. It would be nice if there is a way that it turns on my low beam as I sometimes forget to turn the lights on when it gets dark.
Normal - Low beam mode

This post is the most informative and not everyone own cars with auto headlights. On the Toyota Prius would have Auto Lights and the light stalk/stick similar to other Toyota/Lexus cars and exactly as described above. However, there's a disclaimer, if your low beams are off and you push the light stalk forward nothing will happen. So you could have accidentally push the stalk forward while indicating left/right turn signals and not notice it (I am guilty of that before), then once your auto lights turn on it will jump directly to high beams.

But as others have posted, if your car has high beam on when auto lights are activated you'll see the Blue Icon indicating you have high beams on. And you can easily pull the stalk/stick back to turn it off.
Jan 26, 2014
70 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Normal - Low beam mode
Push on the stick away from you - high beam mode.

Thanks, this make the auto headlight feature work with low beams. I had inadvertently pushed the stick towards the windshield/ away from me. I had no idea that stick works in 3 dimensions.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1727 posts
1547 upvotes
Can't believe the number of people who don't know how their own cars work. So many who only have DRL on at night and have no idea when you try and indicate that to them, and so many who have high beams on.

There is NO EXCUSE for not learning how your car works. Ever heard of Owner's Manual?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5136 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
ghotie wrote: Thanks, this make the auto headlight feature work with low beams. I had inadvertently pushed the stick towards the windshield/ away from me. I had no idea that stick works in 3 dimensions.
you're welcome.

I'm glad to reduce misuse of high beam by one. Still a whole bunch out there.

I wish they can include the understanding of headlight use in both G2 and G tests. Like asking the driver to turn on low beam and high beam during lights inspection. If they don't know which is which, instant fail for not understanding fundamental car feature.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
I have to chime in here . I just actually can't believe the number if people that drive who lack common sense. If I get a new car I learn all the features cause that's what I paid for. Firstly that left lever controls your high beams and miraculously controls the goddamn turn signals too. Its there for a reason . I drive for a living and you idiots are frustrating as hell.Take transit and let the pros drive.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
ShadowVlican wrote: does this explain the high frequency of civics driving with high beams?

i've seen at least one on every single commute, guaranteed.

I usually see the lights completely OFF. The "high beams" are just the DRLs, running the high beam bulb at a lower voltage, but the beam is already high enough to be annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
multimut wrote: Can't believe the number of people who don't know how their own cars work. So many who only have DRL on at night and have no idea when you try and indicate that to them, and so many who have high beams on.

There is NO EXCUSE for not learning how your car works. Ever heard of Owner's Manual?
Benefit of doubt... what if you're in a rental? But yes if it's your car you really should know.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
multimut wrote: Can't believe the number of people who don't know how their own cars work. So many who only have DRL on at night and have no idea when you try and indicate that to them, and so many who have high beams on.

The more scary thing is, if they don't know how their headlights work, what are they going to know about things like brakes, differential, and tyres; understeer and oversteer? What are they going to know about driving? Yet the provinces still hand out licences like candy, watching the road carnage while raking in their blood money. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
No one reads theirs owner's manuals anymore.
A lot of people do their driving test 2 hours up north....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)