39 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

Toyota key replacement in Montreal- Alternative to dealer

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
Retailer:
Autokey.ca
For anyone who may need to replace a lost set of car keys, there are alternatives to paying the Canadian dealers exorbitant prices ($349 for blank key plus 2 hours labor to program it) .

I just replaced a lost key (includes a key fob integrated onto the key shaft and a programmable chip that is needed to start the car) for a 2014 Toyota Corolla. There is a small locksmith company in Montreal that can duplicate the key using an original key.
The cost for one key, including the programming, was $245 plus tax and it took about one hour. The new key is working fine including the buttons for doors and trunk and the warranty is 3 months. Disclosure: I actually had to go there twice because they used the wrong Toyota compatible key blank (a triangular head) on the first try: it started the car and the door buttons worked but the trunk button didn't work. They called me back when they got the right key blank (a rounded head in the same shape as the original key) and then replaced the key in less than an hour. The trunk button now works.

I have also seen some compatible key blanks for Toyota advertised on a few US web sites for $ 80 US, but they specifically stated on the sites that their blank key (with chip) would not work for Canadian Toyota vehicles and I emailed the vendor to confirm that they do not supply key blanks for Canadian Toyota vehicles. For Toyota vehicles, the chip in the key has to be programmed in order for the key to be used to start the car since the car has an anti-theft immobilizer.

TIPS:
1. Quote the FCC id number from the back of your original key when inquiring. This number includes the number of the chip.
2. You need to bring all keys (for that car) with you
3. If you lose all keys, it will be more expensive to replace a key.
4. It is also possible to get a slightly cheaper version of the key if you only need to start the car and don't need the fob buttons.
5. Prysm auto insurance (affiliated with CAA-Quebec) covers key replacement up to $500 total with no deductible.
Images
  • Toyota_key_and_copy.jpg
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2655 posts
881 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
I had a local locksmith make me a chipped key. They had a little computer to program the chip.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3923 posts
1218 upvotes
so it's where décarie meets the 40.

It looks a bit like self promotion, and I'm usually against that, but that actually might be useful! I'll check it out and I'll probably stop by for an Honda key.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2513 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
raskal wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:14 pm
I had a local locksmith make me a chipped key. They had a little computer to program the chip.
I could definitely use this service in GVR to get a new Honda key. Could you give me the name of the locksmith you used? Anyone know the names of others that offer similar service out here?
May 10, 2016
74 posts
69 upvotes
On some cars you can do it yourself. Not sure how common this is especially on newer models, but it worked for my '04 Mazda 3.

Buy a blank transponder key ($15), get it cut at a locksmith or CT, and then you can use the two programmed keys you already have to program the third. Might be worth looking into for your car BEFORE you lose one, because it can only be done if you have two.
Jun 5, 2009
203 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
Solarisphere wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:03 am
On some cars you can do it yourself. Not sure how common this is especially on newer models, but it worked for my '04 Mazda 3.

Buy a blank transponder key ($15), get it cut at a locksmith or CT, and then you can use the two programmed keys you already have to program the third. Might be worth looking into for your car BEFORE you lose one, because it can only be done if you have two.
That used to work for all Ford and Mazda cars. Last time I did it was on a 2012 model. I haven't kept up to date on more recent models.
Feb 20, 2011
679 posts
140 upvotes
Montreal + cheap Smart Key company + Toyota = your car in a container headed for another continent...
Aug 22, 2007
39 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Even cheaper and simpler solution, I snapped my key off in my car and had to call CAA. The CAA guy, came, took my spare key, cut a copy on a plain metal key, took what was remaining of the old key, ground off the actual metal key part, and used some hockey tape to tape the chip part of the old key to the top of the new plain metal key he just cut. I thought about getting it replaced but I never had a single issue with it so I just left it and it works like a charm.
Aug 11, 2011
30 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Bishop8 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 12:47 am
I could definitely use this service in GVR to get a new Honda key. Could you give me the name of the locksmith you used? Anyone know the names of others that offer similar service out here?
West Coast Locksmith 4386 Dawson St · (604) 291-0444
I cut a few keys there and saw a sign they can program chipped key.

For toyota owners, if you lost all your keys then you need to replace with new ecu + keys. cost $1000+.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2513 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
speedpower wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 12:17 am
West Coast Locksmith 4386 Dawson St · (604) 291-0444
I cut a few keys there and saw a sign they can program chipped key.

For toyota owners, if you lost all your keys then you need to replace with new ecu + keys. cost $1000+.
Excellent, I'll give them a call. Thanks very much!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1085 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
There’s also the DIY route for those of you who feel comfortable and are tech savvy.

Smart Keys: Replacement Info & How-To

Definitely not something to undertake unless you are 100% confident and understand the how-to as you can end up in a worse position. But hey, knowledge is power and it’s always good to have options. This is also for the keyless ignition systems, so slightly different.
Nov 29, 2011
358 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
sorry slightly off-topic, but knowledgable owners seem to be on this thread...

i just got a 2018 Corolla and when i went in to pick up the vehicle, the dealer said not to run the car until it's very very empty, because at some point the car goes into "self preservation" mode and will shut itself off. (he didn't say how low on gas this occurs)

he said if that happens, then they'll charge $800 to "reboot" the car.

this is my first car since 2000 so i have no idea wtf's going on with these computerized cars now...

anyone know what device i can buy to do this reboot process myself -- any OBD2 reader?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2655 posts
881 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
gotglint wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 3:06 pm
i just got a 2018 Corolla and when i went in to pick up the vehicle, the dealer said not to run the car until it's very very empty, because at some point the car goes into "self preservation" mode and will shut itself off. (he didn't say how low on gas this occurs)
that sounds like BS to me, but look in your owners manual. If what your dealer says is true, it will be in the manual.

my 30 seconds of google searching never found anything like this
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1085 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
raskal wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 3:32 pm
that sounds like BS to me, but look in your owners manual. If what your dealer says is true, it will be in the manual.

+1

Sound advice.
Nov 29, 2011
358 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
raskal wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 3:32 pm

thanks. yes, i did look in the manual. didn't find anything, but i thought it was due to me not knowing the right keyword to look for. hope it's bs!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)