Home & Garden

Automatically Locking Deadbolt (without Fancy Keypad)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2015 3:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes

Automatically Locking Deadbolt (without Fancy Keypad)

Where can I buy a deadbolt that will automatically lock in (for example) 1 minute or 5 minutes if left unlocked?

The ones I've found look fancy, with a keypad or a touch screen. I want one that looks like a "dumb" deadbolt from the outside.

Alternatively, is there any sort of device out there that I can put over the inside lever of the deadbolt to achieve the same purpose?
4 replies
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
FrancisBacon wrote: This is exactly what you need, and more
http://www.cnet.com/videos/the-august-s ... ppliances/
A friend has one of these, and it worked like garbage out of the box (he had it replaced, same problem); it was manufactured incorrectly, so when you tighten it down, it goes out of alignment. He worked at a machine shop, so we came up with a way to make his work properly; he was only a diehard because he wants everything he owns to be made by Apple, but it is horrible for the price. It's also shockingly ugly, IMO.

There are some more discreet things, like the Kevo Unikey, but anything that doesn't have a physical unlock feature (where you activate the lock somehow, then physically unlock it), the battery will die quickly.