Autostart installation in Ottawa

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 10:07 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts

Autostart installation in Ottawa

Hi
I'm looking for recommendations of local shops in Ottawa that can be trusted to install a autostarter in a 2013 Subaru impreza.
The dealer quoted about 700 dollars. A colleague of mine, with the same make and model, got her's done at Canadian Tire for 300. I am a little wary about letting Canadian Tire work on my vehicle.. especially for an auto start installation.

Basically I'm looking for a place with reasonable pricing with trusted service.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2338 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
you may want to ask her - link
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2874 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm grappling with the same question. Derand, Audiomotive and Langlois all come highly recommended and have quoted me in the $400-$470 range. My situation is complicated by the fact that my vehicle is manual transmission which results in a $50-$100 more expensive system. You do right to stay away from Canadian Tire. Stick with someone whose business is predominantly auto electronics.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3553 posts
1407 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dirtmover wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:48 pm
I'm grappling with the same question. Derand, Audiomotive and Langlois all come highly recommended and have quoted me in the $400-$470 range. My situation is complicated by the fact that my vehicle is manual transmission which results in a $50-$100 more expensive system. You do right to stay away from Canadian Tire. Stick with someone whose business is predominantly auto electronics.
Curious to see who you go with as we also have manual vehicles (automatics are boring lol).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
dirtmover wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:48 pm
There shouldn't be any extra cost because your trying to install in a manual vehicle.
Both my summer vehicles are manual and the alarm/autostsart (Compustar) I have installed is the same if it were installed in an automatic.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
8 posts
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:43 pm
Pearl Auto in Kanata.
Thank you. I will call them to a get a quote.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2874 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:55 pm
There shouldn't be any extra cost because your trying to install in a manual vehicle.
Both my summer vehicles are manual and the alarm/autostsart (Compustar) I have installed is the same if it were installed in an automatic.
The starter is the same but the installation is different. For a start the Computstar would normally be installed with the motion/shock/tilt sensor on a manual transmission which is an additional ~$50 cost for the module. This may just be a recommendation and maybe your installer didn't bother with it or maybe if your primary use is an alarm the module was already included in your system? There is for sure some additional wiring required to the door and ebrake on a manual but if Pearl aren't charging for this I'll definitely give them a try.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
dirtmover wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:12 am
The starter is the same but the installation is different. For a start the Computstar would normally be installed with the motion/shock/tilt sensor on a manual transmission which is an additional ~$50 cost for the module. This may just be a recommendation and maybe your installer didn't bother with it or maybe if your primary use is an alarm the module was already included in your system? There is for sure some additional wiring required to the door and ebrake on a manual but if Pearl aren't charging for this I'll definitely give them a try.
You're correct, my install came with the shock sensor; but I don't remember it costing more; unless they just rolled everything into one price.
FYI, the install was not done by Pearl, as it was installed back in 2001.LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2874 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:38 pm
FYI, the install was not done by Pearl, as it was installed back in 2001.LOL
Turns out that Pearl want $550 for my vehicle which is significantly more than the other quotes I got :(
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
dirtmover wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:24 pm
Turns out that Pearl want $550 for my vehicle which is significantly more than the other quotes I got :(
Ooh, pricing themselves out.
I can only vouch for their work and customer service; if Manny is still running the place.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2874 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:48 pm
Ooh, pricing themselves out.
I can only vouch for their work and customer service; if Manny is still running the place.
I'm wondering if Manny is the same guy that owns the place along the road now http://www.diamondfleetandauto.com
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2874 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:48 pm
I think you are right.
Try giving him a call?
Coincidence, Pearl is Anthony Manzi (Manny?). I'll try diamond also.