Personal Finance

Average Canadian debt to income is 168%, what's yours?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2016 4:18 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_leverage_ratio

"In essence, the CLR demonstrates how many years it will take on average to pay off the debt in full if the whole annual disposable income is used to do so."

(again, don't confuse disposable income with discretionary income)

So basically this ratio says it will take the average person 1.68 years to pay off ALL their debt if they use 100% of their after-tax paycheque to pay off debt (which of course is impossible to do).

So ya, pretty useless still. But that's what it does.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
it's ok, the govt is helping to prop it up.

if it weren't, you'd only buy what you have REAL money for,
Means everyone would just rent. Won't need cmhc, won't need mortgages, won't need realtors, etc damn how many people would need another job eh
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
steveoheh wrote: Debt - to - income ratio is suppose to be calculated monthly debt payments vs monthly income not total debt vs total income that is your networth. This percentage says that in general people are going in debt further every month by 68% of monthly income.
That's a debt servicing ratio. Debt to income is total debt to total income.

I really think the 168%!!! metric that gets trumpeted in the news media is of little utility. I have a mortgage on a new house built last year, so my household figure is over 500%. A 168% national average isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Negative... if you consider my friends who owe me for last week's drinks! ;)
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
steveoheh wrote: Debt - to - income ratio is suppose to be calculated monthly debt payments vs monthly income not total debt vs total income that is your networth. This percentage says that in general people are going in debt further every month by 68% of monthly income.
That's a debt servicing ratio. Debt to income is total debt to total income.

I really think the 168%!!! metric that gets trumpeted in the news media is of little utility. I have a mortgage on a new house built last year, so my household figure is over 500%. A 168% national average isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
Agreed. I think the more useful numbers examine consumption related debt versus income. ( Credit cards, Car loans etc ). However, those number are deceiving too. After recently paying off all credit card debt, I just took out 25K in balance transfers for investing. 25K or 50% looks huge, but at 0% and 1% fee, its insignificant, and its offset by what I hope will be an increasing asset.

Here is that number from May 2016. Considering that an average car loan is about 20K, these numbers look pretty reasonable.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transun ... -1.3587197
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
0 except when I use the 1% & 0% interest balance transfers provided by credit card companies which I invest at a higher rate and then pay off before the due date all the time. Right now I have $68K of those coming due in the next 9 months.
Nov 3, 2010
101 posts
Taikonaut wrote:With a mortgage, and using my income only... 113%
I have 80 k of income and 160k mortgage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Total debt (including mortgage)/Total annual income x 100 = 43%
Last edited by ksgill on Sep 18th, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: 0 except when I use the 1% & 0% interest balance transfers provided by credit card companies which I invest at a higher rate and then pay off before the due date all the time. Right now I have $68K of those coming due in the next 9 months.
How is it 0% if you owe ~ 68k? Total debt ratio is total debt/ total annual income, it has nothing to do with the interest rate/payments.
-
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
ksgill wrote:
eonibm wrote: 0 except when I use the 1% & 0% interest balance transfers provided by credit card companies which I invest at a higher rate and then pay off before the due date all the time. Right now I have $68K of those coming due in the next 9 months.
How is it 0% if you owe ~ 68k? Total debt ratio is total debt/ total annual income, it has nothing to do with the interest rate/payments.
He basically said it's 0% except when he owes $68k :)
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
ksgill wrote:
The whole point of this article is to show how people will be greatly strained if interest rates rise. Is this a problem for Eonibm, or myself. Is it reasonable to suggest that Eonibm will be under strain if interest rates rise?

This is the point that some of us are trying to make. These debt service ratios are deceiving. If it is REAL debt where you don't have the cash ( or a significant asset - a house ) to quickly cover it, than this is a big problem. However, if you have all that cash sitting in a high interest savings account, the high debt ratio is insignificant. I can max out my credit cards and lines of credit, invest that cash in the stock market, watch the stock market crash and lose half its value, and STILL reach into my savings and cover all that debt. But, OOPS, I have a debt to income ratio of more than 200%???!!! Oh my God! How scary! Well, actually, not scary at all!!
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
bewiseman wrote:
ace604 wrote:
ksgill wrote:
The whole point of this article is to show how people will be greatly strained if interest rates rise. Is this a problem for Eonibm, or myself. Is it reasonable to suggest that Eonibm will be under strain if interest rates rise?

This is the point that some of us are trying to make. These debt service ratios are deceiving. If it is REAL debt where you don't have the cash ( or a significant asset - a house ) to quickly cover it, than this is a big problem. However, if you have all that cash sitting in a high interest savings account, the high debt ratio is insignificant. I can max out my credit cards and lines of credit, invest that cash in the stock market, watch the stock market crash and lose half its value, and STILL reach into my savings and cover all that debt. But, OOPS, I have a debt to income ratio of more than 200%???!!! Oh my God! How scary! Well, actually, not scary at all!!
No, the whole point of the article is to generate clicks to get ad revenue quoting a useless stat.

And it's not a debt servicing ratio, it's a consumer leverage ratio. But whatever. Still useless.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
Mine's 0. No mortgage (live in a housing co-op), no credit card debt (I use credit cards a lot but never carry a balance), no auto loan (paid off 4 years ago), no personal loans.

I'm in my 40s, married, have 2 kids under 14, earn teacher's salary. Bucking the trend, I know.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Mine's 0. No mortgage (live in a housing co-op), no credit card debt (I use credit cards a lot but never carry a balance), no auto loan (paid off 4 years ago), no personal loans.

I'm in my 40s, married, have 2 kids under 14, earn teacher's salary. Bucking the trend, I know.
Whats a housing coop?
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
This is the first decent thread by techcrium and you guys manage to eff it up arguing about what a debt to income ratio is?
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Penalty Box
Apr 16, 2012
3565 posts
688 upvotes
Greely
Luckyinfil wrote: This is the first decent thread by techcrium and you guys manage to eff it up arguing about what a debt to income ratio is?
So what is yours? I hope you have low debt to income otherwise you are due for a margin call for that amazing investment call in VRX...
Luckyinfil wrote: Bought some VRX at 101, purely speculation. Pearson is back and there was a huge drop when he left. I was expecting those losses to be pared somewhat when he returns.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
0% currently. Rent a fairly cheap apartment, almost everything else gets saved and invested.

Contemplating buying a house, so that % may increase in the future.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
cmoibenlepro wrote:
Piro21 wrote:
mpt wrote: 0%
Same.

I have no debt of any kind, I rent a cheap apartment, and I save.
Renting means that you lose amounts forever, that you could save instead. Not bad if temporary though
Renting means I have all the water and electricity I want, I have someone to watch my place whenever I go away, I'm not subject to garbage restrictions, I don't have to bother with repairs, mowing lawns, or shoveling snow, and I can live 15 minutes away from work right next to a subway station. I can also pack up and leave whenever I like with no selling process or costs if opportunities arise.

Paying a small amount for all that while I save up my salary isn't a big deal. It's a better deal for me than throwing away money on taxes, utilities, maintenance, and debt interest. Getting to work before everyone else and being able to stay longer instead of wasting time commuting has also been pretty good for my career and my bank account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)