Home & Garden

average price to install home humidifier?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2015 11:35 am
Tags:
None
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a 1-3 hour job easily so do the math at their hourly rate. $200 seems right to me but I installed mine myself. If you need maintenance perhaps you can get them done at the same time and not pay the drive there twice? There is several different types of humidifiers out now but I would stay away from the wick types IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Lumber-jack wrote: It's a 1-3 hour job easily so do the math at their hourly rate. $200 seems right to me but I installed mine myself. If you need maintenance perhaps you can get them done at the same time and not pay the drive there twice? There is several different types of humidifiers out now but I would stay away from the wick types IMO.
what kind would you recommend? steam? particular brand?
do you know any good contractors to install in Ottawa?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
You do realize it clearly states up to 2000 feet...
You need this one http://www.homedepot.ca/product/17-gall ... ier/945831

I have this one but got it on sale for about half price http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/heat ... nt=Default
There wasn't a huge selection of non wick types back then is it my favourite - no. I do like the misting type as I have to clean the disc at the end of the season with CLR.

Personally, JC Robinson has screwed me over too many times and burned their bridge with me and I will never go back. I have had good experience with Valley Appliances or Francis Fuels.

Are you in Ottawa? Your location says TO. I buy my filters from this place but drop ship in Ogdensburg and it would probably be much cheaper to buy the part and have it installed.
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/humidifier
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
I have the desert spring one as well and like it. There is no drain required as it does not waste any water. The only problem with that is that over time, there is mineral build up. This can be helped by draining every so often into a bucket. As the poster above mentioned, you do have to use CLR to clean it at the end of the season. I also fill with baking soda and vinegar at the end of the season and let it run for 24 hours with the damper closed to help remove much of the build up. I have used their customer service as well and they are very responsive. I would put a price drop notification on Canadian Tire's website as it periodically drops by 50%.

Oh, and it's easy to install yourself and takes about an hour or so depending on your skills.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Honeywell he260. It works well but I had a huge issue getting it up and running. Had several people try to diagnose the issue with no luck. Ended up rewiring another way that the manual doesn't describe and finally got it working
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
I hooked a washer water hose on it with a garden hose valve attached to the tray and drain it once a month at least. If you use the clear top and lay it upside down in the laundry sink it is the perfect shape to pour CLR in and I simply drop and rotate the disc (each day) and let it soak for days to clean the entire disc in the spring. A paint brush also helps to get into the discs.
kasm wrote: I have the desert spring one as well and like it. There is no drain required as it does not waste any water. The only problem with that is that over time, there is mineral build up. This can be helped by draining every so often into a bucket. As the poster above mentioned, you do have to use CLR to clean it at the end of the season. I also fill with baking soda and vinegar at the end of the season and let it run for 24 hours with the damper closed to help remove much of the build up. I have used their customer service as well and they are very responsive. I would put a price drop notification on Canadian Tire's website as it periodically drops by 50%.

Oh, and it's easy to install yourself and takes about an hour or so depending on your skills.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)