Home & Garden

Average rate for painting per square foot?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2009 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3178 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide

Average rate for painting per square foot?

As title suggest just wondering what an average range for painting per square foot is including paint, on an interior wall that just requires the average prep work.
9 replies
Sep 3, 2007
605 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
I just moved into a new home. I had a builders painter guy come to paint some stuff that they forgot the first time around. He quoted me $1 per square feet (of home size) including paint. My house is 3700 square feet. He quoted me $3700 hundred to paint all walls and 4 room ceilings for that price.
Sep 2, 2004
195 posts
5 upvotes
I have been told $1/sq ft as well. But will know for sure next month after I get my place painted.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14800 posts
1487 upvotes
It's about 1.00 - 1.50. This includes low-mid grade paint.

When getting quotes, make sure you ask for the specific brand and line of paint they're going to use.

You can also ask for a labour only cost and search for a paint deal yourself.

BTW, contractor paint prices are about 20% lower than the public; but if you're buying 10 - 20 gallons, most stores should be willing to set you up with a "contractor" price.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6388 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
BongoBong wrote:
May 12th, 2009 6:25 pm
As title suggest just wondering what an average range for painting per square foot is including paint, on an interior wall that just requires the average prep work.
As has been said, be aware of what paint is being quoted in the price. A better rate for cheaper paint wont make anyone happy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6388 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
BongoBong wrote:
I wouldn't say this upfront, but when they are done, don't forget to ask for leftover paint for touch-ups. If they are feeling generous, they might just give it away. If you ask before they begin, they generally wont.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3178 posts
121 upvotes
Adelaide
thanks for all the info
Mar 10, 2008
234 posts
8 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
We just painted our house - 1950sq.ft and paid 2200 for painting and spent $350 for the paint. The painters also said $1/sq.ft but since we chose all dark colors they had to do 2 coats in every other room.

We didn't do the ceilings. We went for a eggshell finish - medium grade finish and semigloss for kitchen and bathrooms. They did a great job, i just found them through craigslist. One of the painters work for BM store, so I ordered paints through him and it worked out atleast 20% cheaper than BM store prices.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14800 posts
1487 upvotes
Steeles Paint has great prices on paint - especially in larger quantities.

As for Paints, Para Ultra, Para Elite are good choices. Benjamin Moore Collections or Aura is good too.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2006
1335 posts
coolspot wrote:
May 14th, 2009 2:03 pm
Benjamin Moore Collections or Aura is good too.
I just used both of those last week to paint my rec. room. Good stuff. We definitely used less paint than expected because of the higher quality paint.

Aura paint is roughly about $60/can. The next step down Ben. Moore paint is in the 50s.
× < >