AVG vs Windows Defender for Windows 10?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 9:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
298 posts
75 upvotes

AVG vs Windows Defender for Windows 10?

Which is better and is more stable and reliable?

Can you run both at the same time or do these programs still conflict?

TIA
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4846 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Windows Defender came with lot of hopes but its pretty useless in bigger scheme of things. Its still better than nothing - but it really is minimal protection.

AVG in this day and age is frowned upon (especially the free version). It still works pretty good, but now they include extra adware software in their installation - and last I checked AVG is pretty bloated / resource hog. So ya - people have flocked on to other ones for now.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1439 posts
328 upvotes
Check out Sophos Home.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
1961 posts
301 upvotes
You can many times buy Kaspersky for less then $20/year.

Else, for free sw suggest MBAM free for on demand scans and it normally behaves well with other security sw.

For real time protection try Panda free, Bitdefender free, Avira free [ensure only install avira]... depending on your setup one of these should suffice.

Also, suggest to use standard acct and not admin acct for everyday use.
Aug 9, 2010
816 posts
172 upvotes
Waterloo
My vote is for Bitdefender. Keep it on and run Malwarebytes once in a while and you should be good.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28757 posts
917 upvotes
Fernando Po
Had the full paid version of malwarebytes, blue screened my computer regularly. Removed it, waste of money.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9950 posts
534 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I recently switched from Avira to Panda. I was using an older version of Avira, but you can no longer update definitions on older versions. Panda rated pretty well in an article I found and is relatively lightweight (55MB), although it does require .net 4.0+. I have to wonder why some antivirus protection software is over 100MB (install package).

I also use the open source Clamwin portable whenever I want a second opinion.

tdotcbc84 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:53 pm
Do we really need anti-virus? (I'm being serious, and also lack knowledge in this realm)
I have it installed for manual scans, when I download stuff.
Nov 15, 2011
904 posts
377 upvotes
Saint John
tdotcbc84 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:53 pm
Do we really need anti-virus?

(I'm being serious, and also lack knowledge in this realm)
I haven't used anti-virus beyond Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials for many years and can't remember the last time I had a virus. All those bloated AV programs do is slow down your computer and give you a false sense of security while failing to stop many threats. It seems every time a friend or family member has asked me to clean their computer of viruses, they have an AV installed that somehow missed the 399 malware programs and browser bars they have on their computer.

By far the best AV is the "Good Sense" meatware suite.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
2966 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
For the OP, these are good sites to check out evaluations of anti-malware software.

https://www.av-test.org/en/

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

AVIRA, Bitdefender, ESET, EMSISOFT, and F-SECURE are often the top rated products but this can vary as months and years go by and revisions address previous weaknesses. At one time (a few years ago) I had to remove AVIRA when it was lagging some older PC's prior to hardware being updated but I see it it highly rated on the latest reports from the above sites. BitDefender crashed my old laptop constantly when I was trialing it but the same engine in a different product (EMSISOFT) worked just fine. I found F-Secure very quick to scan and had low overhead on the system but it had no gaming mode. You may have to try a few of these before settling on one that works best for you.

For tdotcbc84.... yeah you do.

edit: oh my! download and see the charts in the "MRG Effitas 360 Assessment & Certification Q4 2016" report for the effectiveness of AVG and MSE Microsoft Defender..... fail!

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/

Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12185 posts
2482 upvotes
Toronto
Turn off windows defender as a rule! Waste of CPU usage.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
1925 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a difference between Windows Defender and Windows Defender Security Center?

I received one of the 'HP technology at work' emails last week where they were plugging the new Windows Defender Security Center debuting in the Spring of 2017.
https://h41369.www4.hp.com/taw/article/CA/GB/TAW_001164

Found their "The Wolf" video that was also in the email funny.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel