Personal Finance

Avion/American Express/Hotels to Aeroplan/BA/AA/Asia Miles point transfer promo history

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2024 7:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
3026 posts
2227 upvotes
Calgary
Elfwood wrote: Last time 30% bonus explicitly stated no bonus for 7-night travel package from Marriott

This time the 25% bonus language is more relaxed on the 7-night travel package from Marriott
Yes, I noticed that. Waiting for a data point before I commit. Fingers crossed!
If the packages are not eligible, then the 25% bonus is not that great, considering we just had a 35% promo.
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
Elfwood wrote: Last time 30% bonus explicitly stated no bonus for 7-night travel package from Marriott

This time the 25% bonus language is more relaxed on the 7-night travel package from Marriott
Darn it missed this promo! I just redeemed a Marriott 7 night travel package about a week ago.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1389 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
Elfwood wrote: Last time 30% bonus explicitly stated no bonus for 7-night travel package from Marriott This time the 25% bonus language is more relaxed on the 7-night travel package from Marriott
arvind84 wrote: Yes, I noticed that. Waiting for a data point before I commit. Fingers crossed!
If the packages are not eligible, then the 25% bonus is not that great, considering we just had a 35% promo.
looking4deals1 wrote: Darn it missed this promo! I just redeemed a Marriott 7 night travel package about a week ago.
According to reddit, Marriott mentions this on their site: "*Bonus miles from Aeroplan (Air Canada) offers are not applicable."

So looks like a no go guys - sorry!
Dec 12, 2004
555 posts
351 upvotes
RBC Avion transfer to British Airways Avios and the points showed up in the BA account the next day.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
bhp wrote: Great redemptions! I'm waiting for the RBC Avion to Avios promo, hopefully 50% bonus. Alaska is flying out of Everett WA next fall, hopefully some warm destinations
This information is easy to find online, but here are the 8 cities to start ( out of 13 ):
Alaska’s new point-to-point destinations from Paine Field will be Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Orange County, California; Phoenix; Portland, Oregon; San Diego; San Francisco; and San Jose, California
United is just using PAE as a spoke to DEN and SFO.

SouthWest hasn't announced their 1st 5 flights but My guess is it will be into one of their hubs:
  • Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Chicago–Midway
  • Dallas–Love
  • Denver
  • Houston–Hobby
  • Las Vegas
  • Oakland
  • Orlando
  • Phoenix–Sky Harbor
We may see Austin or San Jose if a direct flight makes sense to connect the tech communities together.

I'm curious what the other 5 destinations will be on AK. These initial 8 are just no-brainer flights from their perspective, serving North Seattle residents, Everett better for popular routes ( who won't need to go through Seattle on the I-5 ). Of note, PAE and SEA are equidistant from East Seattle (Redmond, Kirkland)... so I expect Microsoft and Amazon ( located in Bellevue ) may make good use of PAE for a business-traveller bus... especially for employees who live north of their head offices. Everett, of course, is much closer to PAE than SEA.

I'd like to see AK flights from PAE to any of these
  • CLT (Charlotte, big eastern hub)
  • Ft. Lauderdale (cruises)
  • Cancun (beaches)
  • Boston ( underserved from YVR )
  • HNL ( another option to use Avios other than KOA/OGG )
If Vancouver had a PAE, it would be something like if Langley's airport was a large enough to be a viable 2nd airport... however, with YXX being just further out and more developed, I don't think that would happen.

YVR is convenient for Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby, but rather inconvenient for Surrey/Tri-cities
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: If history repeats itself, RBC Avion -> BA should be happening (hopefully) sometime within the next month... :D
June 15th or thereabouts.

Not sure if 30%, 50% or what though.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Avion -> Avios: June 15 - July 31, 30% bonus, 10k minimum points to convert
Aug 30, 2010
40 posts
2 upvotes
13inches wrote: Avion -> Avios: June 15 - July 31, 30% bonus, 10k minimum points to convert
Hi I am waiting for the next conversion bonus too. Is this one from a confirmed source? I searched a bit but didn't find anybody mentioning it yet......
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3919 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Housekeeping
bizee-bee wrote: If you're not in a rush for a need to use Avios, then I would wait. The RBC Avion to BA Avios conversion promos run about twice a year, at mid-year and end of year and have been either 30% or 50%. The past promos have been:
2018 Jun 30%
2017 Nov 30%
2017 May 30%
2016 Nov 50%
2016 Jun 30%
2015 Nov 30%
2015 Jun 50%
2014 Nov 50%
2014 May 50%

Credit to @crimsona for maintaining a history of the promos at his thread here:
Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history

With Aeroplan's oncoming demise in 2020, I decided it's time to explore new territory, so I converted 100K Amex MR to 125K BA Avios during last year's 25% conversion promo. I'm in no rush, and can afford to wait. I'll sit out on this current 30% Avion > Avios promo.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
On my US Amex card, there is a 40% transfer bonus to Avios until Nov 15, 2018.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
batcave wrote: On my US Amex card, there is a 40% transfer bonus to Avios until Nov 15, 2018.
wow, we're doing pretty well then, considering the 30% exchange rate difference
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
emmpeethree wrote: wow, we're doing pretty well then, considering the 30% exchange rate difference
I'm not sure whether you're being facetious or not but I don't use Canadian funds to spend in the US so exchange rate is not a factor for me.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
batcave wrote: I'm not sure whether you're being facetious or not but I don't use Canadian funds to spend in the US so exchange rate is not a factor for me.
i was pointing out that canadians for once get a better deal than americans with regards to points.

in general:
$1 USD spent on US amex = 1 US Amex reward point x 1.4 conversion transfer bonus = 1.4 Avios/USD $ x 0.76 (exchange rate) = 1.064 avios/ CAD$
$1 CAD spent on canadian amex= 1 Canadian Amex point x 1.3 conversion transfer bonus = 1.3 avios/ CAD$

When taking into account the exchange rate, the US Amex points are only worth ~7% more despite costing ~30% (exchange rate) more (using CAD as base currency). So this means Canadian Amex users who take advantage of these transfer bonus offers are earning ~23% more avios points compared to american amex members
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
emmpeethree wrote: i was pointing out that canadians for once get a better deal than americans with regards to points.

in general:
$1 USD spent on US amex = 1 US Amex reward point x 1.4 conversion factor bonus = 1.4 Avios/USD $ x 0.76 (exchange rate) = 1.064 avios/ CAD$
$1 CAD spent on canadian amex= 1 Canadian Amex point x 1.3 conversion factor bonus = 1.3 avios/ CAD$

When taking into account the exchange rate, the US Amex points are only worth ~7% more despite costing ~30% (exchange rate) more (using CAD as base currency). So this means Canadian Amex users who take advantage of these transfer bonus offers are earning ~23% more avios points compared to american amex members
I think collecting points is a game that people of millennial age like to play. I'm not saying you're of that age. Winking Face

One of my issues with collecting points is that it causes collateral spending. If one has points and takes a vacation that they weren't going to take if they had to pay cash, then the points are causing behaviour modification. With these point, one will spend more than they would without the points and actually cause the earn rate of the card to decrease. I find some cards that cause behaviour modification is like the phone game that was causing people to run into traffic and over cliffs. Crying Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7372 posts
9176 upvotes
Montreal
emmpeethree wrote: i was pointing out that canadians for once get a better deal than americans with regards to points.

in general:
$1 USD spent on US amex = 1 US Amex reward point x 1.4 conversion factor bonus = 1.4 Avios/USD $ x 0.76 (exchange rate) = 1.064 avios/ CAD$
$1 CAD spent on canadian amex= 1 Canadian Amex point x 1.3 conversion factor bonus = 1.3 avios/ CAD$

Yes, you're right. And if you have both a U.S. and a Canadian MR account, you can take advantage of that by calling Amex and moving your U.S. MR to your Canadian account at the current exchange rate. That way, your 1 MR will convert into 1.31 MR and then using the Canadian 30% promo to get 1.7 Avios vs. 1.4 Avios using the U.S. 40% promo.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
efrant wrote: Yes, you're right. And if you have both a U.S. and a Canadian MR account, you can take advantage of that by calling Amex and moving your U.S. MR to your Canadian account at the current exchange rate. That way, your 1 MR will convert into 1.31 MR and then using the Canadian 30% promo to get 1.7 Avios vs. 1.4 Avios using the U.S. 40% promo.
now I just have to find out how to get a US amex... didn't know you could transfer between CAD and US MR accounts

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)