Personal Finance

Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2019 8:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3044 posts
1474 upvotes
smuncky wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:20 am
AP is offering 30% transfer from their website, but I received an email offering 35%.

30%: https://www.aeroplan.com/spring-convers ... gn-2019.do

35% email:
Hmmm... that would mean 50,000 Cobalt MRs = 33,750 (instead of 25,000 through Marriott Bonvoy). Might be a good way to top up the account for a specific redemption in J... but otherwise there's still a lot of point-leakage.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Jan 21, 2007
135 posts
52 upvotes
Terrace
atomiton wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 5:50 pm
Hmmm... that would mean 50,000 Cobalt MRs = 33,750 (instead of 25,000 through Marriott Bonvoy). Might be a good way to top up the account for a specific redemption in J... but otherwise there's still a lot of point-leakage.
Is Cobalt MR to Bon Voy not 5 to 6 like regular MR? I just got the Colbalt for dining and groceries for the purpose of Bon Voy.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3044 posts
1474 upvotes
lovethesales wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 8:54 am
Is Cobalt MR to Bon Voy not 5 to 6 like regular MR? I just got the Colbalt for dining and groceries for the purpose of Bon Voy.
Yep. 50,000 MRS x 1.2 = 60,000 BV = (20,000 + 5000 BV bonus) x 1.35 (AP bonus) AP.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2498 posts
99 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 12:19 pm
Yep. 50,000 MRS x 1.2 = 60,000 BV = (20,000 + 5000 BV bonus) x 1.35 (AP bonus) AP.
Does AP really do the 35% on top of the the 5k they give you as a bonus?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3044 posts
1474 upvotes
smuncky wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 7:38 pm
Does AP really do the 35% on top of the the 5k they give you as a bonus?
AP doesn’t give you 5k bonus. Marriot does. Aeroplan is offering 35% on hotel points. That 5k.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4466 posts
2475 upvotes
crimsona wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 9:45 pm
Yes.

P.s. Why isn't anybody updating the thread summary? I already gave up responsibility
Hey crim. I would, but I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around why this is a good conversion event. I haven't done the homework lately, but I always thought the hotel points were better value, versus using a poor conversion into Aeroplan, and the bonus event only takes a bit of the sting away. I mean, other than if you REALLY needed some Aeroplans to make a redemption, is it not still better to leave them as Bonvoy? I don't know, I'm just asking.

And btw, the Marriott Flights and Nights travel packs where you can push points into Aeroplan, are still excluded from getting the 35% bonus, so without that I wouldn't even consider participating. Remember when 180K Amex MR became 162 Aeroplan + 7-nite e-certificate? Man, what a deal that was. I still have to deal with using or extending five e-certs by this summer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7258 posts
904 upvotes
Burnaby
More for historical tracking really. With Airbnb, the cash values of hotels are less relevant, especially if I'm traveling with family like my in-laws. For example, 2 hotel rooms or a suite vs 2 bedroom condo.

Some cities that price gap (even on points) is ridiculous, like London, Paris, Florence, based on personal experience.

Having said that, blowing half mill on Aeroplan miles per trip or 600 plus for a family of 4 is even more painful
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4466 posts
2475 upvotes
crimsona wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:36 am
More for historical tracking really. With Airbnb, the cash values of hotels are less relevant, especially if I'm traveling with family like my in-laws. For example, 2 hotel rooms or a suite vs 2 bedroom condo.

Some cities that price gap (even on points) is ridiculous, like London, Paris, Florence, based on personal experience.

Having said that, blowing half mill on Aeroplan miles per trip or 600 plus for a family of 4 is even more painful
We've had some good AirBnB's in Europe too (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium), but you have to did out the reviews and hope for the best some times. Saw the CBC Marketplace documentary this past Friday, "When Airbnb goes wrong: Cancellations and covert listings". It's up on YouTube now:

They're highlighting the extreme cases though, so I'd still continue to use AirBnB, but would be cautious of any places that seem too good to be true.

Yeah, but 600K for family of 4 means you're doing a mini-RTW in biz class, which is better than using 160K (40K pp) going on cattle class to Meh-hee-ko. :|
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2498 posts
99 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 10:09 pm
AP doesn’t give you 5k bonus. Marriot does. Aeroplan is offering 35% on hotel points. That 5k.
Ah. I was always under the impression it was AP who gave that.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3044 posts
1474 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:50 am
We've had some good AirBnB's in Europe too (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium), but you have to did out the reviews and hope for the best some times. Saw the CBC Marketplace documentary this past Friday, "When Airbnb goes wrong: Cancellations and covert listings". It's up on YouTube now:

They're highlighting the extreme cases though, so I'd still continue to use AirBnB, but would be cautious of any places that seem too good to be true.

Yeah, but 600K for family of 4 means you're doing a mini-RTW in biz class, which is better than using 160K (40K pp) going on cattle class to Meh-hee-ko. :|
I find AirBnB not that useful... to be honest. If you have small kids, AirBnB usually charges per person. A hotel, on the other hand ( in North America ) doesn't care if you have 2 kids in tow. It's good for couples or larger groups... but for a standard 2+2... I find hotels are generally the better deal. That or actual professionally run B&Bs... not Joe renting out his basement suite. I like proper B&Bs... less of a cash grab and more of a 'we do this because it's our business'.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2933 posts
2324 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
atomiton wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 6:35 pm

I find AirBnB not that useful... to be honest. If you have small kids, AirBnB usually charges per person. A hotel, on the other hand ( in North America ) doesn't care if you have 2 kids in tow. It's good for couples or larger groups... but for a standard 2+2... I find hotels are generally the better deal. That or actual professionally run B&Bs... not Joe renting out his basement suite. I like proper B&Bs... less of a cash grab and more of a 'we do this because it's our business'.
I find it really depends on the location and city. I have had good luck finding nice AirBnBs where the hotels are cheap to begin with. I find expensive cities, you have to book in advance or go with professionally run ones. Depending on my mood, I switch back between hotels and AirBNB. Also, I choose AirBnB when I need Delta Skymiles, but lately that hasnt been the case.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222