Personal Finance

Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2017 5:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19252 posts
2702 upvotes
Waterloo
mkjr wrote:
May 27th, 2015 1:37 pm
to give you some numbers, CX J - YYZ-HKG ONLY, is NOW (post April 28) 105,000 avios or say 70,000 RBC. using AA miles, currently, it is 50,000 and you could essentially fly YYZ-HKG or if space was an issue, HKG-ORD or JFK or BOS and then to Toronto.

in the good old days, it was both 50K (AA and BA miles) but with avios you could go YYZ-HKG (stop over)-then continue to Tokyo (or PEK/PVG or even as far as Bali) for 50K each way so it was way better to convert to BA. i managed to book 6 tickets at the good old day miles.

factor the 50K with a 50% bonus on RBC to BA, and that flight was only 33,333 RBC points (granted you could not churn as easy back then)....so even at a bonus with AA, 33K versus say the 35% bonus on AA (the highest it ever ways), points to BA always won when it came to CX flights to the far east.

Then BA did the first devaluation and then YYZ-HKG went to 70K each way in J and you had to price out the onward connection separately so YYZ-HKG-NRT in J became 90K. so first devaluation almost doubled it.

Now, it is 125k. So that is why now, the bonus from AA over could be rather helpful although this ASSUMES that AA is not going to screw people like BA did....twice.

So for the time being, I think I will keep moving AP miles out of my account for flights I am forced to fly on AC and churn AP cards for no fees and move those points to Esso and to RBC at a rate of 0.684 RBC points per AP point. Then keep them there depending on what I plan to do with them. And decent to convert to AA or to BA but sadly, I have to now look at AP again to see what their redemption rates are...

Ahh...the games.
I thought Avios always priced separately?? so YYZ-HKG is one booking, then HKG-NRT/destination is another Avios booking

Anyway, each FFP has its places and sweet spots, best to diversify if possible to tap into different alliances.
I have Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios, AAdvantage
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
May 27th, 2015 11:29 pm
I thought Avios always priced separately?? so YYZ-HKG is one booking, then HKG-NRT/destination is another Avios booking

Anyway, each FFP has its places and sweet spots, best to diversify if possible to tap into different alliances.
I have Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios, AAdvantage
no. Avios used to be 50K with a stop over permitted and you could, although i did not although it is reported, do something like this YYZ-HKG (stop over)-Bali (end)-HKG-PVG(stop over)-HKG-YYZ. Just look over at FT and I saw guys do this with PVG and also add Tokyo for 100K in J.

I did YYZ-HKG (stop)-NRT//KIX-HKG(Stop)-YYZ for 100K in J also....so no, it was never always per segment. that took place in the first set of devaluations in nov. 2011.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19252 posts
2702 upvotes
Waterloo
mkjr wrote:
May 28th, 2015 12:10 pm
no. Avios used to be 50K with a stop over permitted and you could, although i did not although it is reported, do something like this YYZ-HKG (stop over)-Bali (end)-HKG-PVG(stop over)-HKG-YYZ. Just look over at FT and I saw guys do this with PVG and also add Tokyo for 100K in J.

I did YYZ-HKG (stop)-NRT//KIX-HKG(Stop)-YYZ for 100K in J also....so no, it was never always per segment. that took place in the first set of devaluations in nov. 2011.
I see, 2011 was before I had much miles to do much anyway. Took my first ever Mini-RTW in J with "only" 100K Aeroplan miles back then, and now it's 150K
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19252 posts
2702 upvotes
Waterloo
I just now realized Aeroplan excludes Aventura transfer as Promo, boo

What good is CIBC Aventura then, if I don't want to redeem it for flights... simply transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan (in 10K increments?)
I got free 15K Aventura (I should've chosen 15K Aeroplan)
1) Convert to miles (primary cardholders only) by telephone.
2) Exchange 1 point for 1 mile in increments of 10,000 points*.

® Aventura is a Reg. TM of CIBC.
™World Elite MasterCard is a trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.

*Aventura Points may be converted to Aeroplan Miles at an exchange rate of 1 for 1. Points must be converted in 10,000 point increments. To convert Points, you must be a CIBC Aventura World Elite MasterCard, CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite or CIBC Aventura Gold Visa cardholder prior to October 1st, 2013 and your account must be in good standing.
Apr 5, 2009
939 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2015 3:03 pm
I just now realized Aeroplan excludes Aventura transfer as Promo, boo

What good is CIBC Aventura then, if I don't want to redeem it for flights... simply transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan (in 10K increments?)
I got free 15K Aventura (I should've chosen 15K Aeroplan)
If I'm reading their fine print correctly, new Aventura cardholders do not qualify for Aeroplan conversion at all. It's only for those who signed up before October 2013.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
running the numbers again and i think this is not a great deal depending on where you want to fly...that is the BA bonus.

man, this is a pain to have to think about what to do....
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1828 posts
199 upvotes
North Vancouver
amex to BA bonus not quite often :twisted:
Feb 25, 2015
425 posts
258 upvotes
NB
Well, if this is to stay, it might be the time to clear out the remaining Avion points and begin looking for another primary travel card.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
carbide wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2015 4:51 pm
Well, if this is to stay, it might be the time to clear out the remaining Avion points and begin looking for another primary travel card.
yup. that is disappointing given BA has shoved a series of devaluations at us in NA.
Jun 10, 2008
928 posts
81 upvotes
Yikes - does this effectively kill the workaround to convert Aeroplan miles to BA Avios on an almost 1:1 ratio?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
barricuda wrote:
Nov 4th, 2015 1:47 pm
Yikes - does this effectively kill the workaround to convert Aeroplan miles to BA Avios on an almost 1:1 ratio?
yup. if my math is right about 1 AP with 30% bonus is about 0.9 BA miles. and screwing us out of the band 1 resumptions, we have been screwed twice in the same month.

i think given the devaluation in AP, i am going to convert all my AP over and make sure I have my 2:4:1 with my BA card since that doubles the value up. i used my BA card up to 30K and then over to Avion but now not so sure.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
Looks like the last day for the bonus. I am holding put. Keeping miles in RBC to consider moving to AA depending on where I fly. I think depending on where you go, even with the BA devaluations, converting to AA with no bonus is better than converting to BA with a 30% bonus.
Aug 3, 2006
676 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote:
Dec 15th, 2015 1:46 pm
Looks like the last day for the bonus. I am holding put. Keeping miles in RBC to consider moving to AA depending on where I fly. I think depending on where you go, even with the BA devaluations, converting to AA with no bonus is better than converting to BA with a 30% bonus.
What are the best uses of AA?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
BoogieMan wrote:
Dec 15th, 2015 1:49 pm
What are the best uses of AA?
depends really. before mar 22....travel to many places at smoking cheap rates in F and J..after, depends...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel