• Dec 22nd, 2018 10:28 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13316 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:54 pm
I would tell them you are taking everything to a new company if they don’t cover the so called “modified” car
They wouldn't even blink an eye.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
l69norm wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:54 pm
I would tell them you are taking everything to a new company if they don’t cover the so called “modified” car
Good luck. These scammers, I mean insurance companies don’t give a shit.
Nov 13, 2008
388 posts
51 upvotes
Kitchener
What a racket. You voluntarily provide the info to them, they increase your premium and then a short time later tell you they won't insure the car anymore. I'd be shopping both my auto policies and house insurance to another insurance company. In fact, I'd pay extra to get away from them on principle.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1720 upvotes
jheath wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 7:19 pm
What a racket. You voluntarily provide the info to them, they increase your premium and then a short time later tell you they won't insure the car anymore. I'd be shopping both my auto policies and house insurance to another insurance company. In fact, I'd pay extra to get away from them on principle.
Perosnally, i would have told them you would remove the lowered suspension if it was not approved....
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
390 posts
118 upvotes
jheath wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 7:19 pm
I was planning to switch to Desjardins in March when my policy was supposed to expire. Them cancelling my insurance early throws a bit of a wrench in my plans, as now I'll need to phase in the new insurance...

The cars are all under my name too, so it's not like I can just kick out the car and the primary driver out of my plan... Looks like I'll have to open up a second insurance under my name or just keep it uninsured until March.
Aug 20, 2011
461 posts
233 upvotes
Pallet Town
PerformingAzura wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 7:53 pm
I was planning to switch to Desjardins in March when my policy was supposed to expire. Them cancelling my insurance early throws a bit of a wrench in my plans, as now I'll need to phase in the new insurance...

The cars are all under my name too, so it's not like I can just kick out the car and the primary driver out of my plan... Looks like I'll have to open up a second insurance under my name or just keep it uninsured until March.
You still have a couple of options actually
1. you could cancel your current policies; some companies actually have no cancellation fee. some might have a prorated fee, but you can look into that
2. you could explain your situation to the new company, and they may be able to write a policy for 3 months, cancel it without fee, and have a new policy start up. Some companies are able to do this, so doesn't hurt asking

As for the situation, it doesn't seem like a policy cancellation to me. Don't think it would show up on your insurance history as cancelled. If anything, ask for a letter of experience detailing the issue, or keep whatever communications they gave you already on file. That should be enough for the new insurance companies
Jan 27, 2015
56 posts
19 upvotes
Georgina
I am confused as to why you told them the car was lowered in the first place. They only ask if there are modifications valued at or over $ 5000.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1625 posts
971 upvotes
IamMurphy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:11 am
I am confused as to why you told them the car was lowered in the first place. They only ask if there are modifications valued at or over $ 5000.
He told them because he wanted to be reimbursed for the cost of the extra suspension in the event of a claim. Insurance companies care if you have anything aftermarket, even an air filter or muffler as it could "increase power". Anything that is not factory increases risk and they could potentially drop your coverage. Whoever told you this $5000 thing is BS.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1720 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:26 am
He told them because he wanted to be reimbursed for the cost of the extra suspension in the event of a claim. Insurance companies care if you have anything aftermarket, even an air filter or muffler as it could "increase power". Anything that is not factory increases risk and they could potentially drop your coverage. Whoever told you this $5000 thing is BS.
Actuallly....As per belair direct....
"Modifications have been made to your vehicle and they exceed $5,000 or enhance your vehicle’s performance"....Some may argue that a lowered suspension could be vehicle performance or you could argue that the stock suspension caused motion sickness.
Smash that like button!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i changed my radio, will that be considered an aftermarket modification? what about backup camera? is that an aftermarket modification
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1720 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:27 am
i changed my radio, will that be considered an aftermarket modification? what about backup camera? is that an aftermarket modification
Yes because you are increasing your vehicles performance :P
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8344 posts
5674 upvotes
Markham
This is really strange, they notified you of non-renewal based on a lowered suspension alone? 25% of cars in York region have lowered suspensions.

I am certain you're missing something here, did you do other performance enhancing modifications? APR tune, larger turbo, etc... ? I am simply not believing that they non-renewed you based on a lowered suspension.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1630 posts
681 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:31 pm

+1, when I switched from Co-operators to Coseco, I had to bring in the summer vehicles (both lowered) for a pictures and a quick once over at a designated shop and had no issues getting them insured.
I went to Coseco and they never asked to see my cars, one was lowered but since I have sold it and will maybe lower my replacement,
engineered wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:41 pm
Is this normal? I've never been asked for an inspection, but I've been with TD Meloche forever.
first time hearing it from the poster above

take your money and move it all to a new company, insurance companies are scammers, just try and get scammed the least I say.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13316 upvotes
Ottawa
lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:02 am
I went to Coseco and they never asked to see my cars, one was lowered but since I have sold it and will maybe lower my replacement,
Did you disclose that it was lowered?
I disclosed my entire setup, in which the entire suspension and components were replaced.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1630 posts
681 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:09 am
Did you disclose that it was lowered?
I disclosed my entire setup, in which the entire suspension and components were replaced.
They never asked , but again I lowered it with sport springs that would have came with the car if ordered with the OEM sport package.
To confirm they did not ask "Has any of your vehicles had any modifications to it?", if they had I don't know how I would have answered anyways Winking Face

I do remember a friend that had an older mustang that was modded heavy in the engine, he received a random call from his insurance that they were coming by to have a look in the morning. He spent the night removing everything and putting it back to stock, he sold the car like that as didn't want to deal with it anymore.