• Dec 22nd, 2018 10:28 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:16 am
They never asked , but again I lowered it with sport springs that would have came with the car if ordered with the OEM sport package.
To confirm they did not ask "Has any of your vehicles had any modifications to it?", if they had I don't know how I would have answered anyways Winking Face

I do remember a friend that had an older mustang that was modded heavy in the engine, he received a random call from his insurance that they were coming by to have a look in the morning. He spent the night removing everything and putting it back to stock, he sold the car like that as didn't want to deal with it anymore.
Not sure if the agent put a note, but when asked why I swapped out the factory suspension parts, I said they were crap compared the quality stuff I installed.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10918 posts
5359 upvotes
Toronto
IamMurphy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:11 am
I am confused as to why you told them the car was lowered in the first place. They only ask if there are modifications valued at or over $ 5000.
Happens when you buy a 3" lift with 35" MTs and new rim on a $43000 Jeep. Not the OP but this is the new thing in insurance. Modify your vehicle and expected to be reimbursed you need to keep your receipts and notify your insurance. Problem is, they'll probably drop you. Alternative, vehicle gets into an accident and you're out of luck getting money for the parts.

Moral of the story is basically modifying your vehicle will cost you money in the beginning and in the end.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1637 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:19 am
Not sure if the agent put a note, but when asked why I swapped out the factory suspension parts, I said they were crap compared the quality stuff I installed.
Strange
koffey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:23 am
Happens when you buy a 3" lift with 35" MTs and new rim on a $43000 Jeep. Not the OP but this is the new thing in insurance. Modify your vehicle and expected to be reimbursed you need to keep your receipts and notify your insurance. Problem is, they'll probably drop you. Alternative, vehicle gets into an accident and you're out of luck getting money for the parts.

Moral of the story is basically modifying your vehicle will cost you money in the beginning and in the end.
I have 22"'s on my truck with the suspension coded lowered on my X5 , your saying I need to tell insurance this?
Even if its factory they will fight you tooth and nail to not pay you out for full repairs/write off value, hence why people hate these companies.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:30 am
Strange

I have 22"'s on my truck with the suspension coded lowered on my X5 , your saying I need to tell insurance this?
Even if its factory they will fight you tooth and nail to not pay you out for full repairs/write off value, hence why people hate these companies.
They might get you on a technicality that it didn't come as a pre-installed option?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1637 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:31 am
They might get you on a technicality that it didn't come as a pre-installed option?
The rear has air bags , you can code it lower with an ODB plug and software, factory was 20" wheels but I like my 22" better
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:34 am
The rear has air bags , you can code it lower with an ODB plug and software, factory was 20" wheels but I like my 22" better
On your next renewal, disclose this and see what they say.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1429 posts
344 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
koffey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:23 am
I lifted my last truck 4". Never told insurance. Never made a claim on the truck. Sold the truck 5 years after the lift went in for a fair price.

I may have "got away with one" there.

I won't be modifying my new truck.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1721 upvotes
To echo what everyone else says,

I wont modify another vehicle. I'll get one that best suits my needs in terms of speed from the get go.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10918 posts
5359 upvotes
Toronto
lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:30 am
Strange
If you want insurance to payout for your rims/tires/suspension bits in the event of a write off or collision and these parts need replacing yes.
rkjredflag wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:40 am
I lifted my last truck 4". Never told insurance. Never made a claim on the truck. Sold the truck 5 years after the lift went in for a fair price.

I may have "got away with one" there.

I won't be modifying my new truck.
You only got away with one since you didn't get wrecked. My buddy has a jeep, lifted, big tires, insurance dropped him cause it was modified. My trucks are modified but insurance doesn't know. I'd rather pocket pay to play and keep my rates low or not have insurance at all.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 14, 2007
780 posts
216 upvotes
Man, I wonder if these kids with all the stickers on their vehicles reported to their insurers. That’s gonna be big trouble if they get into accidents.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1637 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:31 am

lilmikey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:34 am

See attached pics, 18" for winters, my 20" for summer/factory and running with 22's last 2 summers.
Last picture lowered rear on computer to see the look, didn't ride nice so had to higher it a bit after lol

koffey wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:21 pm

If you want insurance to payout for your rims/tires/suspension bits in the event of a write off or collision and these parts need replacing yes.

I agree

You only got away with one since you didn't get wrecked. My buddy has a jeep, lifted, big tires, insurance dropped him cause it was modified. My trucks are modified but insurance doesn't know. I'd rather pocket pay to play and keep my rates low or not have insurance at all.
x2
What I want them to insure i'll let them know, whatever else leave me alone.

[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
392 posts
120 upvotes
IamMurphy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:11 am
I am confused as to why you told them the car was lowered in the first place. They only ask if there are modifications valued at or over $ 5000.
Whenever I called them on the phone, they always ask about any aftermarket modifications made to car.

Anything from radios to spoilers. I've never heard about this 5000$ threshold before.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27571 posts
13499 upvotes
Ottawa
PerformingAzura wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 3:30 pm
Whenever I called them on the phone, they always ask about any aftermarket modifications made to car.

Anything from radios to spoilers. I've never heard about this 5000$ threshold before.
Must be specific to his insurance company, as there is no threshold with Coseco.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8661 posts
3008 upvotes
Toronto
Do i need to tell insurance i have K&N air filter sticker on the window? +10HP though
Koodo customer $40/8GB
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13083 posts
1431 upvotes
Mississauga
er34er34 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 4:28 pm
I doubt this is considered "cancelled" insurance, they just refuse to cover you because of modifications. Just like RHD cars, nobody wants to touch those.

Just shop around and find another insurer.
hmm. Most new cadillacs, benzs, bmws are still RHD.. LOL