AVOID Bestbuy.ca <-- Terrible Customer Service. $6,000 missing

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 9:37 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes

AVOID Bestbuy.ca <-- Terrible Customer Service. $6,000 missing

I've been having the worst week recently with Best Buy. First off, I placed an order a whole week ago and I had it cancelled because I wanted to make some changes to the order. I was charged $2400 to my debit card and I didn't receive any refund at all for an order that was never even shipped up to this day. It's been about a week now and every-time I go ahead and call Best Buy, their response is the same, "Please wait another couple days, we've returned the authorization". I have called Best Buy almost 4 times now and I still don't have my money. It's a debit card, you cannot authorize payments, You either charge the card or you dont lol.

After I cancelled my order, 2 days later I decided to place another one with my correct items and everything was going great until my Package showed up. I ordered a Nintendo switch, Macbook Pro, and a Printer. When my package showed up the following day, I had received my Nintendo Switch and Printer, everythings great so far, but then I got to my last package. The package that was supposed to have my Macbook, instead had PRINTING PAPER INSIDE IT. Now I've called Best Buy about this and they told me to keep waiting and that the Macbook might show up in a couple days? This is honestly the most triggering, mind blowing thing they could have said because currently, I'm still waiting on my $2400 refund and my $3,600 Macbook Pro. Now I'm waiting for a LOST ITEM claim which they said can take up to 14 business days. THATS 3 DAMN WEEKS.

So right now as Im making this post, I'm currently sitting at a missing $6,000.

I have only been told to keep waiting and my Bank said a chargeback can take months. I don't know what to do. I advise everyone here to STAY AWAY from Best Buy. You have way better options for online shopping. Amazon, Newegg, Canada Computers. They will all provide you with better service and your money back on cancelled orders and usually same day shipping. I for one am never shopping with Best Buy again. I used to shop here for all my electronic needs but now that has to change.
36 replies
Mar 20, 2011
135 posts
73 upvotes
Langley, BC
JeevinP4394 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 11:39 am
Now I've called Best Buy about this and they told me to keep waiting and that the Macbook might show up in a couple days? This is honestly the most triggering, mind blowing thing they could have said because currently, I'm still waiting on my $2400 refund and my $3,600 Macbook Pro. Now I'm waiting for a LOST ITEM claim which they said can take up to 14 business days. THATS 3 DAMN WEEKS.
When the order was shipped, did you get tracking numbers for the order? Have you verified these on the couriers website? Just seems a crazy thing to say "keep waiting and that the Macbook might show up in a couple days" - why would it ever show up if all the tracking numbers for the order are delivered and match the shipping labels on the boxes. For the Macbook clearly there was a mistake, or a substitution theft in the warehouse.

For the debit refund (I'm assuming Visa Debit), they can be slow and take a while, up to 10 business days sometimes. For Visa Debit it is like a hybrid Credit/Debit card the way it works with authorizations and refunds. I think that money will get back to you eventually. I would focus more on the Macbook issue.
Last edited by CanadaJimmy on Mar 8th, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
JeevinP4394 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 11:39 am
I've been having the worst week recently with Best Buy. First off, I placed an order a whole week ago and I had it cancelled because I wanted to make some changes to the order. I was charged $2400 to my debit card and I didn't receive any refund at all for an order that was never even shipped up to this day. It's been about a week now and every-time I go ahead and call Best Buy, their response is the same, "Please wait another couple days, we've returned the authorization". I have called Best Buy almost 4 times now and I still don't have my money. It's a debit card, you cannot authorize payments, You either charge the card or you dont lol.

After I cancelled my order, 2 days later I decided to place another one with my correct items and everything was going great until my Package showed up. I ordered a Nintendo switch, Macbook Pro, and a Printer. When my package showed up the following day, I had received my Nintendo Switch and Printer, everythings great so far, but then I got to my last package. The package that was supposed to have my Macbook, instead had PRINTING PAPER INSIDE IT. Now I've called Best Buy about this and they told me to keep waiting and that the Macbook might show up in a couple days? This is honestly the most triggering, mind blowing thing they could have said because currently, I'm still waiting on my $2400 refund and my $3,600 Macbook Pro. Now I'm waiting for a LOST ITEM claim which they said can take up to 14 business days. THATS 3 DAMN WEEKS.

So right now as Im making this post, I'm currently sitting at a missing $6,000.

I have only been told to keep waiting and my Bank said a chargeback can take months. I don't know what to do. I advise everyone here to STAY AWAY from Best Buy. You have way better options for online shopping. Amazon, Newegg, Canada Computers. They will all provide you with better service and your money back on cancelled orders and usually same day shipping. I for one am never shopping with Best Buy again. I used to shop here for all my electronic needs but now that has to change.
You probably bought something from one of those 3rd party sellers on BestBuy.ca, not from Best Buy itself.
I would consider going to the police on this one.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5498 posts
1879 upvotes
Alberta
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:27 pm
You probably bought something from one of those 3rd party sellers on BestBuy.ca, not from Best Buy itself.
I would consider going to the police on this one.
x2. Probably bought from their stupid marketplace. Looks like you got ripped off. Someone stole your MacBook and put a pack of paper in the box instead. Sounds just like all those people who ordered Samsung phones and it got stolen somewhere between the order processing, shipping or carrier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7872 posts
831 upvotes
As others have stated those 3rd party resellers maybe the issue and I hope that something can be done for you. When I'm buying off of Amazon, if I don't see shipped by Amazon then I'm not interested.

In the future try paying for your purchases with a credit card for more options. Once the scammers saw debit well that's a different story. Let's hope for a positive outcome.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8452 posts
2599 upvotes
Toronto
Go instore purchase
Koodo $40/8GB
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6180 posts
815 upvotes
OP is a one post wonder. With no track record here I am doubtful about anything he says.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2799 posts
455 upvotes
Water loo
Unless there is financial motivation, I find combining multiple items into one big order more headaches then its worth. I now make multiple orders, if something goes wrong ... its waaaaay easier to manage.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
rilles wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 12:11 pm
Unless there is financial motivation, I find combining multiple items into one big order more headaches then its worth. I now make multiple orders, if something goes wrong ... its waaaaay easier to manage.
Yes, I wish I had learned this lesson long ago.
I ordered some limited edition DVD release and combined it with some other miscellaneous purchase. Well the miscellaneous item held up the order for over a month, and then I lost out on the limited DVD. :facepalm:
This was before 'Prime' so I was just trying to get free shipping.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7582 posts
1692 upvotes
Mississauga
Why do people pay big purchases by debit card that offers no purchaser protection??
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7582 posts
1692 upvotes
Mississauga
woof wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 12:11 pm
OP is a one post wonder. With no track record here I am doubtful about anything he says.
Yeah I agree.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2799 posts
455 upvotes
Water loo
Raggie wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 7:49 pm
Why do people pay big purchases by debit card that offers no purchaser protection??
Because credit card bills suck.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1498 posts
1346 upvotes
Absolutely agree.

BestBuy.ca took my credit card info and processed a bunch of charges without my permission.

We were disputing the sale price as they charged me full price. When it came to them trying to fix it they ended up refunding and charging inaccurate amounts.

It was a disaster. I chargebacked all of it and I think things are all in my favour. I haven't heard back since then.

Stay away.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.