Shopping Discussion

Avoid CIK Telecom's internet. They're LIARS!

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2016 1:36 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2008
897 posts
95 upvotes
Guelph
I can't even get the phone setup!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1958 posts
54 upvotes
GTA
the company is still advertising upto 7M and unlimited download DSL in its website.
http://www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/Resident ... /index.asp

chengbin wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 8:15 pm
I was fed up with Bell's bandwidth limit, and I canceled and decided to switch. While researching I'm torned between Teksavvy or CIK Telecom. Teksavvy offers 5M 200GB dry loop internet for $37.25 a month, while CIK Telecom offers 7M unlimited bandwidth dry loop internet for $39.99. I ultimately chose speed and bandwidth over reputation and price.

BIG MISTAKE.

CIK Telecom's internet is THE SAME AS TEKSAVVY!!!

They claim a speed of 7M, but my modem (TP LINK TD-W8960N) shows the theoretical download and upload speed on my line as 5056Kbps and 800Kbps, respectively. Speed test shows the ISP as Teksavvy, and I only get around 4.3Mbps at download Toronto.

The second lie, which is the definitive proof that it is the same as Teksavvy, was that it WASN'T REALLY UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH! They actually charge you extra if you go over 200GB a month, the same bandwidth limit from Teksavvy.

I find it amazing that they blatantly put 2 BIG lies on their ads. I called them and they deny these accusations, saying Bell choose a speed depending on your area so it avoids packet loss (big BS) and they can't put all the info on an ad. Come on, UNLIMITED and 200GB LIMIT means completely different things. It doesn't take anymore space to write 200GB limit on the ad.

Worse of all, they charge more for the same service as Teksavvy. I pay $39.99, where I had to pay a year upfront to get that price, where Teksavvy charges $37.25 monthly.

Do not use CIK Telecom. They don't deserve to be in business with their shady business practices. I'm gonna switch to Teksavvy. I feel better knowing that I'm using a company that is honest and reputable.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9444 posts
883 upvotes
elmst200 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2010 2:40 pm
the company is still advertising upto 7M and unlimited download DSL in its website.
http://www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/Resident ... /index.asp

they did say "up to" not "at 7m"...

for the record when I was with tsi, I was able to get 7M on my line. However, it wasnt 100% stable.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3087 posts
404 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Evan_Colo wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 9:27 am
As far as I know the max a DSL reseller can offer is 6M lines and thats to businesses only.

On Bell's system in Ontario up to 6 Mbps is certainly possible with good quality lines close to the CO.

Where's the OP's proof they don't have unlimited?

The point is moot anyhow as the CRTC is allowing Bell to impose a 60 gig cap on 3rd party ISP's due to come into effect by Jan 21.
Dec 7, 2003
502 posts
38 upvotes
Scarborough
chengbin wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 8:15 pm
I was fed up with Bell's bandwidth limit, and I canceled and decided to switch. While researching I'm torned between Teksavvy or CIK Telecom. Teksavvy offers 5M 200GB dry loop internet for $37.25 a month, while CIK Telecom offers 7M unlimited bandwidth dry loop internet for $39.99. I ultimately chose speed and bandwidth over reputation and price.

BIG MISTAKE.

CIK Telecom's internet is THE SAME AS TEKSAVVY!!!

They claim a speed of 7M, but my modem (TP LINK TD-W8960N) shows the theoretical download and upload speed on my line as 5056Kbps and 800Kbps, respectively. Speed test shows the ISP as Teksavvy, and I only get around 4.3Mbps at download Toronto.

The second lie, which is the definitive proof that it is the same as Teksavvy, was that it WASN'T REALLY UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH! They actually charge you extra if you go over 200GB a month, the same bandwidth limit from Teksavvy.

I find it amazing that they blatantly put 2 BIG lies on their ads. I called them and they deny these accusations, saying Bell choose a speed depending on your area so it avoids packet loss (big BS) and they can't put all the info on an ad. Come on, UNLIMITED and 200GB LIMIT means completely different things. It doesn't take anymore space to write 200GB limit on the ad.

Worse of all, they charge more for the same service as Teksavvy. I pay $39.99, where I had to pay a year upfront to get that price, where Teksavvy charges $37.25 monthly.

Do not use CIK Telecom. They don't deserve to be in business with their shady business practices. I'm gonna switch to Teksavvy. I feel better knowing that I'm using a company that is honest and reputable.

How is quality of service?
disconnects?
compared with Tek?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2167 posts
67 upvotes
Awesome wrote:
Jun 14th, 2011 10:49 am
How is quality of service?
disconnects?
compared with Tek?

No comparison.
Teksavvy is sooo much better in terms of pricing and service.
Dec 7, 2003
502 posts
38 upvotes
Scarborough
rsasp wrote:
Jun 14th, 2011 11:19 am
No comparison.
Teksavvy is sooo much better in terms of pricing and service.

pricing is ok, but their tech and billing can't adjust the start dates properly, even though issues about their service not working yet were reported, service too more than a month to start working properly -- yet no credit were applied to account

bell and rogers tech don't show up on time for them, and even no shows

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-g ... 89136/194/
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2298 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Download speeds are all over the map. :rolleyes:

Suggest avoiding this ISP.
Nov 13, 2011
1 posts
NEPEAN
Warlock wrote:
Sep 1st, 2011 1:51 am
Download speeds are all over the map. :rolleyes:

Suggest avoiding this ISP.
Does that mean sometimes I can also pay vary payment such as $1 / month? If CIK can do vary speed to his customers, we the customer can do the same to CIK.

Only quality service provided deserved a good and prompt payment. CIK, no way!!!!!

Agreed to avoid this ISP.
Jan 20, 2011
116 posts
7 upvotes
MONTR
I have read a lot of ppl complaining about CIK in the chinese forums and I was wondering the credibility since I have never used one, generally, I guess that they might be a bit manipulating to the ppl since basically what ppl are trying to do is just collecting together so you pretty much got the "collectivism" power in which it makes ppl tend to believe that is true. I would love to know whether they are really that bad? cuz if that company is real bad then they will already been sued or whatever that can happen...just a piece of thought, no any offense!
Feb 16, 2012
2 posts
1 upvote
COQUITLAM
lordevilium wrote:
Nov 15th, 2011 10:20 am
I have read a lot of ppl complaining about CIK in the chinese forums and I was wondering the credibility since I have never used one, generally, I guess that they might be a bit manipulating to the ppl since basically what ppl are trying to do is just collecting together so you pretty much got the "collectivism" power in which it makes ppl tend to believe that is true. I would love to know whether they are really that bad? cuz if that company is real bad then they will already been sued or whatever that can happen...just a piece of thought, no any offense!

Yes! CIK is really really bad.The speed is not as fast as they promised and the attitude of service is bad when you make a complaint, and even you cannot call in to make a complaint as there are too many people calling in aims to make a complaint.what's more, cik is not unlimited, it is actually limited; once you use more that 200M, cik will manually slow down your speed. Think about that, every internet service company such as Rogers or Bell is earning money from usage, if a customer paid 500M of usage, but just used 100M, then the internet service company will earn money; calculated as (500M-100M)=400M*$?/M.Therefore, if a company provides it's customer unlimited usage,the company will make no money or even a big loss.What CIK talked about unlimited is totally a lie, when you over 200M, cik will slow down the speed in order to make the profit guaranteed.In addition, the call center of cik is not in Canada, it is actually in Xi'an, which is actually a city of China.When you asking them about their call center location,they will not tell you; however, once a man named NIKE told me that the time of his place is 2.00a.m. unconsciously while the exact time is 2.00p.m. in GTA. Anyway,cik is a big liar, do not trust cik.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2470 posts
215 upvotes
update for anyone's experience with CIK? did it get better after the ISPs unthrottled everyone?

i'm looking for a new ISP...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2485 posts
180 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
poorwingman wrote:
Jul 10th, 2012 10:44 pm
update for anyone's experience with CIK? did it get better after the ISPs unthrottled everyone?

i'm looking for a new ISP...
This might be late as a reply, but service is as bad as ever. From 10 pm to 12 am, everything slows to a crawl. Quite ridiculous, actually, as my parents pay $60 a month for 15Mbps download and 512kbps upload speed. They're too cheap to switch back to teksavvy though, which increased their rates a year back. Totally not worth it. And for those of you who have accused Chinese people of stereotyping the Chinese, trust me, you don't understand the Chinese mentality.

Please, avoid CIK. Teksavvy may cost a little more per month, but their service is superior in every way. Even Acanac wasn't this bad...

P.S. We're using cable, so if you want to blame the big companies for throttling, Rogers is your man.
Nov 7, 2012
2 posts
RICHMOND HILL
I was hesitated to switch to CIK when I read the comments on this thread! However, after going through the bad experiences from Roger, I think everybody's experiences might be different. Since I was fed up with the BT from Rogers, the deal in CIK is more attractive. I decided to give a try. At first, I signed up for their free modem deal which will lock me for one year. In reference to comments in thread, I requested them switch me to the no contract plan. Though the customer services was not too helpful in the beginning, I got the help from their Senior Customer Service Manager (Jack) and plan changed as requested.

I encounter slow speed in the beginning. I went to Jack right away and he explained to me the process was calling their tech support to raise a ticket. If the issues escalated to Level 3, he will get involved. I did follow their process but also copied Jack everything. They were quick in responding to me and explained that Rogers (I used Roger's existing line) reached full capacity and Rogers will switch their router. Jack updated me that their hardware upgrade and told me to keep testing the speed. The best assurance was he will work with me. Also assured me that if they can't resolve the issues with Rogers, they could even switch me to Fiber To Node DSL at no cost to me.

The speed is ok and I got unlimited usage at reasonable price. I am a happy for my decision. Should I encounter future problem. I will update again.
× < >