Tags:
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Firebot wrote:
Feb 7th, 2007 11:31 am
This thread should be stickied for others to see, with the thread title changed to a more suitable title. While I haven't experienced this and wouldn't fall for such a scam, I know that there are are some who do easily get swayed by sweet talking scam artists. If someone can actually fall for the Nigeria ebay scam on these boards, they can also fall for this.

If a sticky saves one person from getting scammed, then it's worth it.
I agree this is a MAJOR scam.

Basically anyone who puts his resume on Monster with full "public access" enabled, and has a 905/416/647 number listed on the resume, will get at least one call per month by one of these scammer "headhunter agencies" (not to be confused with a real headhunter agency) trying to pull the tricks detailed in this thread.
Mar 5, 2002
731 posts
27 upvotes
Hi All,

This is too much.

I guess Cornerstone has scaled down from transnational to an Ontario based firm.

Here's what I just recently got:

Dear "Tano",

We recently noticed your online resume and would like to direct it to our partner Cornerstone. Cornerstone is an Ontario based career management firm that specializes in assisting mid to senior executives and managers in securing the best jobs in the local area.

By providing unique tools and technology Cornerstone assists their clients in identifying and pursuing the best career opportunities.

If you are interested in learning more, please reply to jobsoakville@gallowaypartner.com and attach the most current version of your resume. We will then direct it to the appropriate individual in Cornerstone's office. If they feel they can help you, Cindy or Katie will call you to set a time to meet with one of their consultants.

Best Regards,

Josie (Snipped)
Galloway Partners
--------------------------------
Thanks to Iexcel and everyone else for posting this scam. Saves me time, effort and confusion as to what their methods.

Cheers!
Tano
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Check this article out.

Avoiding "We'll Find You A Job" Rip-Offs

Mark Swartz
www.careeractivist.com
Author of "Get Wired, You're Hired"
February 13, 2007
Printer Friendly version

Dear Mark: I was recently contacted and invited in for an "interview" by a career management company. They found my resume online. Since I am not employed I listened to what they had to say. In a nut shell, they stated that they will find me employment that will suit my abilities, character, personality and so on. There is a fee, yet a guarantee that if I am not employed over a stipulated time, I will get my fee back! The fee is approximately $7,500. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to employment services companies, does one usually put money down? In conjunction to one's own due diligence in researching this arrangement, are there specific questions one asks, red flags to keep an eye on and so forth? Thank you for your time.

-- Massimo M., Hamilton, Ontario

Dear Massimo,

My simple advice to you in this matter is to run. Run like the wind! These so-called career management firms who troll the job banks looking for clients just like you, who ask you for thousands of dollars up front while supposedly guaranteeing you a job (we'll revisit this "guarantee" in a moment), are essentially vultures who prey on naive, hungry job seekers.

Point one to note is that there is a clear demarcation between genuine career consultants and true recruiting agencies. The folks that contacted you in this case, and who probably put you through a two hour interview that made you feel at times like a star and then desperate, are actually career coaches – but of the worst kind. A legitimate career consultant will never guarantee that they will find you a job. Their role is clear: to help you solve your own career issues. This might include how to deal with an irritating supervisor; or position yourself for a promotion; or to search out new employment. In the latter case, they will work with you to assess your skills, interests, values and marketability. Together you will put together a plan of action that will focus your efforts on using job boards (such as Workopolis), networking into the hidden job market, and incorporating recruiting agencies as part of your mix.

Recruiters, headhunters and personnel agencies will never promise you a job either – nor should they be asking you for any money since they get paid by the employer to find them a suitable candidate (see my earlier article on Types of Recruiting Firms link ).

How then can this "career management" firm that contacted you charge up to $7,500 or more for doing what a legitimate career coach could do for a fraction of the price? And how can they promise you a job, when the two key determinants of securing employment - current demand for your skills in the employment market, and the employer's personal criteria for making a particular hiring decision - are completely out of the career firm's hands?

It's all in the nature of the guarantee they provide you in writing. Read it carefully before handing over a penny or signing anything. You'll generally find a promise that, by following their methods, you will be employed within 12 months – or you get your money back. Here's where they get tricky about things. Notice that they will never, ever, outline in their guarantee every single grueling step you may be required to take in order to find a job. More importantly, they will never, ever include in their written guarantee the salary level at which you will be re-employed.

Clever, eh? So if during that 12 months they tell you to perform 100 activities in furthering your search, and you complete only 99 of them, technically you may have invalidated your contract. Also, if you receive an offer during that period as a stock keeper at your local Quickie Mart for $8.00 an hour, and you turn it down, you may have breached your contract with the career management firm. They get to keep your hard earned money. You're stuck. And if you think you can take them to court because you believe they made you verbal promises (that is, specific guarantees or agreements that aren't in writing), you'll find out quickly that it might cost you more to sue them then you paid them upfront.

But please don't take my word alone for the advice I'm giving here. Try Googling "Bernard Haldane busted" and read about how the company many of these bottom-feeding career management firms are modeled on had to fold in Canada after their unethical dealings were outed on the investigative TV show W5 a number of years back.

Anyhow, sorry if I sound a bit strident this week. I just hate to see good people be taken advantage of. In the end it is always up to you to produce the effort, and use the right strategies, to find suitable work. No shortcuts available – not even plunking down a ton of moolah hoping someone else will honour a deliberately vague assurance that they'll do the hard stuff for you.

===================

Read the bolded paragraph above!
Mar 20, 2007
5 posts
I received an e-mail today from "Nancy" at "Candian Career Management Group." (No, that is not a typo. That is how it was spelled in the e-mail that I received.) I performed a Google search to find more information on this company, and found this thread. I find it interesting that Canadian Career Management Group has a web site outlining their services, and going to execpositionhunt.com, as indicated in the e-mail, points to a different web site, but offering similar services. (And with a front page titled "Page 1" and a view of the web page source indicating it was created with "WebSite Tonight," godaddy's "web page designer for dummies," it becomes obvious that this web site was created very quickly.) I am tired of this sort of garbage. I found out last week that I will be out of work in less than one month, and these sort of people have the nerve to prey on that sort of situation? I would love to be cunning enough to design an elaborate scheme to screw these guys for a change.

The following is the e-mail that I received:

Your resume came to me through one of our partners and we would like to set an appointment to meet with you. At Candian Career Management Group, we help build relationships to assist senior executives and managers find the best jobs in the Edmonton area. We steward our clients careers, maximizing their earning potential and job satisfaction.

We provide unique tools and technology that assist our clients in identifying and pursuing the best career opportunities.

If you are interested in learning more, please reply to edmonton@execpositionhunt.com and attach the most current version of your resume and our office will call you to set a time to meet.

Best regards,

Nancy
Executive Administrator
Mar 22, 2007
2 posts
I have been taken by these guys! There were flags that I didn't see or failed to react to. I have gone ahead and sued them in small claims court. Of course they failed to file a defence. I "won" the judgement and am starting the ball rolling on getting my money back. I doubt they will act on the judgement so I will probably have to get a hold of their assets somehow. Does anyone have any knowledge of where Ian Cabral, or Nancy Gordos reside so I can seize assets?

Thanks
Mar 20, 2007
5 posts
stevel wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2007 3:00 pm
I have been taken by these guys! There were flags that I didn't see or failed to react to. I have gone ahead and sued them in small claims court. Of course they failed to file a defence. I "won" the judgement and am starting the ball rolling on getting my money back. I doubt they will act on the judgement so I will probably have to get a hold of there assets somehow. Does anyone have any knowledge of where Ian Cabral, or Nancy Gordos reside so I can seize assets?
I am sorry to hear that you had to deal with this experience. I do not know much about the legal aspect of things, but if the court orders money to be repaid to you or assets seized, wouldn't the money and/or assets come from the company, rather than the owners? I have not gone to any of their interviews, so I do not know what their setup looks like, whether it is a hole in the wall or an elaborate location.
Mar 22, 2007
2 posts
They rent space. They had a place in Mississauga and Toronto but have closed them both. Most likely they didn't pay their rent and got kicked out. You are right about the company vs. personal involvement, however, if they are the company owners they should be liable. I'm going to take this as far as I can. I hate being taken.
Mar 20, 2007
5 posts
stevel wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2007 3:12 pm
They rent space. They had a place in Mississauga and Toronto but have closed them both. Most likely they didn't pay their rent and got kicked out. You are right about the company vs. personal involvement, however, if they are the company owners they should be liable. I'm going to take this as far as I can. I hate being taken.
I understand. Their Edmonton location is only two blocks away from a legitimate recruitment agency that I have been dealing with and I might take a peek, just to see.

I agree with you about being taken. Like I expressed in my previous message, what makes it even more painful is that they tend to go after people that are in a desperate situation. If I was working full time and making a decent salary and I am suddenly out $2,000, it is painful, but if that $2,000 is all I have left and rent is due and my children need food on the table, it is suddenly a lot more than just painful.

And because I am in the latter situation, I have it out for companies like this even more than I normally would.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
This thread should be stickied, as a sort of scammer notice.
May 29, 2007
3 posts
Edmonton
Steve:

I too have been taken by these guys...but only for a measely $2,000. However, I first complained to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with my complaint back in February, 2007. Ian Cabral's response to my complaint was exactly what was explained above in Konfusion666's posting, which included a reply from Mark Swartz. Ian Cabral initially just stated after my BBB complaint that I had not found a job yet because I had not fulfilled my obligations to the CCGM contract. What Ian Cabral failed to do (other than read my complaint) was to grasp that I was not complaining about "not" finding a new job (I was, and still am employed). I was complaining because the CCGM was obviously doing nothing to earn the $2,000 I had already paid. And what little work they did do was done so poorly it actually hurt my chances of finding a better job, at least in the short-term.

I did submit another post on this web site explaining that the CCGM is no longer around....they have closed their doors, shut down their web site, and apparently are no longer in that office tower downtown Edmonton. It would be interesting to learn if both Ian Cabral and Nancy Gordos are in that office still, but now with a new company, probably still scamming people who are eager to find a job. My other posting can be read at:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ment+group.

As for where does Ian Cabral live....well, I was going to do the same thing as you and trying to track down these clowns to file a lawsuit (or at least have the BBB follow-up with my complaint), but as you have already done so, and that I will probably have to "eat" my loss anyway, I should give you first dibs.

I tracked down an Ian Cabral at:

1 thru 11 Brentwood Place
St. Albert, Alberta T8N 0A1
(780) 459-3657
(780) 459-9160

I'm not sure if this is the same Ian Cabral, or if it is I'm not sure if he would still live there. I'm also not exactly sure of the specific address, the Canada Post web site only stipulated that the numbers run from 1-11 and from 2-10 for that postal code. Let me know if you manage to track him down as I may want to get in line in court.

I could not find any record of a Nancy Gordos, which could mean a few different things. She could be using her maiden name on the job, in which case there might not be much registered under that name. The name could be an outright fabrication, which would not surprise me for a con-artist. She could even be married to Ian Cabral, in which case you might find them both at the address above.

I have a couple other leads that I'm working on too...if you want to work together on this send me an e-mail and we can talk.

Try and stay in touch.

stevel wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2007 3:00 pm
I have been taken by these guys! There were flags that I didn't see or failed to react to. I have gone ahead and sued them in small claims court. Of course they failed to file a defence. I "won" the judgement and am starting the ball rolling on getting my money back. I doubt they will act on the judgement so I will probably have to get a hold of their assets somehow. Does anyone have any knowledge of where Ian Cabral, or Nancy Gordos reside so I can seize assets?

Thanks
May 29, 2007
3 posts
Edmonton
Thallanor:

I have posted three times to this web site....as mentioned in the others I too have been scammed by the Canadian Career Management Group (CCMG).

However you direct attention to a typo in Nancy Gordos' e-mail, the fact that she misspelled "Canadian", which is a major typo when you think about it.

Nancy sent out e-mails to 22 different potential employers on my behalf (that is all the CCMG will send out to make it appear as though they are doing a diligent job on your behalf). But her e-mails were terrible...not unlike the one with a typo sent to you.

The e-mails that Nancy sent out on my behalf looked as though they were written by a 14-year old who was not doing well in school. Suffice it to say that Nancy "is not the sharpest tool in the shed", as it were. She should never be allowed to write anything to any potential employer on behalf of someone else, and because the type of work in which I was interested was at the senior manager or executive level, this hurt me much more than it did her. Her e-mails were written so poorly that of the 5 responses I did received from potential employers none were considering me for the type of work in which I was interested. In fact, the managers who did respond to me were in the very positions in which I was interested, so you can imagine their reaction when I informed them of my career aspirations (i.e. I was dropped like a hot potato). One potential employer even got angry at me, and felt as though I had misled them about my true career intensions, which of course was not the case.

So there was a double-lesson learned here. One is to never give any "headhunter", "recruiter" or "career coach" any money in advance for anything. The other is to never hire an incompetent or illiterate person to write correspondence for you...at least not until you have proof-read the material that is being sent out on your behalf before it is actually sent.

Hopefully, in about a year, I will once again be able to send out job feelers again...after all those who had come into contact with my name through the CCGM have had time to forget who I am :) .

Talk to you later

thallanor wrote:
Mar 21st, 2007 2:50 pm
I received an e-mail today from "Nancy" at "Candian Career Management Group." (No, that is not a typo. That is how it was spelled in the e-mail that I received.) I performed a Google search to find more information on this company, and found this thread. I find it interesting that Canadian Career Management Group has a web site outlining their services, and going to execpositionhunt.com, as indicated in the e-mail, points to a different web site, but offering similar services. (And with a front page titled "Page 1" and a view of the web page source indicating it was created with "WebSite Tonight," godaddy's "web page designer for dummies," it becomes obvious that this web site was created very quickly.) I am tired of this sort of garbage. I found out last week that I will be out of work in less than one month, and these sort of people have the nerve to prey on that sort of situation? I would love to be cunning enough to design an elaborate scheme to screw these guys for a change.

The following is the e-mail that I received:

Your resume came to me through one of our partners and we would like to set an appointment to meet with you. At Candian Career Management Group, we help build relationships to assist senior executives and managers find the best jobs in the Edmonton area. We steward our clients careers, maximizing their earning potential and job satisfaction.

We provide unique tools and technology that assist our clients in identifying and pursuing the best career opportunities.

If you are interested in learning more, please reply to edmonton@execpositionhunt.com and attach the most current version of your resume and our office will call you to set a time to meet.

Best regards,

Nancy
Executive Administrator
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7017 posts
169 upvotes
New Westminster
bump for good info
insert witty comment
Mar 20, 2007
5 posts
Edmonscrewed wrote:
May 31st, 2007 1:53 pm
I did submit another post on this web site explaining that the CCGM is no longer around....they have closed their doors, shut down their web site, and apparently are no longer in that office tower downtown Edmonton. It would be interesting to learn if both Ian Cabral and Nancy Gordos are in that office still, but now with a new company, probably still scamming people who are eager to find a job.
I read your posting before going for lunch. I have landed a new job downtown Edmonton and took a detour to check out their address, as I work only four blocks from Manulife Place, which is where their office is located. It is still on the building directory but going to the floor itself yielded nothing, as most of the floors in Manulife Place have a central reception area and no indication as to what companies are located on that floor. I did not want to talk to reception because I did not know what to say, and I was also on my lunch break. But they are still in the building directory, for what it is worth. I did not attempt to call them, though. I was going to take a picture with my mobile, but because there is no real front, it wouldn't have shown much.

Just thought I would provide a brief update.
Mar 20, 2007
5 posts
Edmonscrewed wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:25 pm
So there was a double-lesson learned here. One is to never give any "headhunter", "recruiter" or "career coach" any money in advance for anything. The other is to never hire an incompetent or illiterate person to write correspondence for you...at least not until you have proof-read the material that is being sent out on your behalf before it is actually sent.
I learned the second lesson when dealing with CNC Global, another recruiting agency. They appear to be legitimate though, and are easy to approach and talk to, but their literary skills are sorely lacking. They arranged two interviews for me that went well, but I got a look at my resume after they had "updated" it. The first thing that I noticed was that my carefully-formatted resume was pasted into a Word resume template. The Word templates are nice, but I've read several HR people indicate that if they see a Word template, it tends to go to the bottom of the list, as they are looking for something that sticks out. That makes sense, but CNC Global told me the exact opposite, that because Word templates were a "standard" that I should use them instead. (It turns out that the job I landed was using a resume that I designed myself.) The second thing was that they felt I was overqualified, so they dumbed down all of my past titles, from IT Manager to Help Staff, things like that. They asked me to focus my resume more, concentrating on few things, yet told me that I needed to exhibit a more broad knowledge of IT. How do you do both? And then there was the spelling and grammar, which was horrible. The entire thing must not have been cut and paste into a template because she spelled my name wrong in the new resume. I couldn't believe it.

Like I said, the interviews went well, but it is hard to come across as intelligent when your resume looks like the one you wrote for your first job.

Anyway, another two cents from me.