Careers

Avoid Cornerstone / Canadian Career Managemant Group

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2016 8:49 pm
Tags:
Apr 16, 2009
150 posts
14 upvotes
I experienced this scam for myself a few months ago when a company called You Find Work called me for an interview. They're at 151 Yonge Street, 11th floor, Toronto.

At first I thought it was the usual recruiter/headhunter interview and they had a job posting. But they have no job postings, they only offer their services to you to help you market yourself, improve your resume, interview skills, etc. for a price. The guy wouldn't tell me what price though. I just said no thanks and left. What a big waste of my time that was. I found a link where a bunch of others experienced this too:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... tml?page=4
Dec 21, 2013
528 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
People, please don't be fooled by this scam. I was a former agency recruiter (see other thread)

These companies claim they will "market you" because it's illegal to take fees from candidates for recruitment services. So they establish their license as a "marketing company" instead... When the government comes knocking on their door they claim that they were hired by you for a "fee" to send your resume our an call companies to find you a job, not the other way around.

Scam scam scam!!!! Never pay a fee, it's illegal!
Aug 31, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I recently went to an "interview" with a company call TPS Associates. They found my resume and wanted to discuss potential employment opportunities they have lined up.
Right away, a slimy looking man greets me and we head off to a meeting room. He starts off by saying he sees 10-15 people a day. Only 3 make the cut as an ideal "fit"
candidate. Funny, if there were that many people scheduled, I would figure there would be at least 1-2 people waiting at the reception. Nothing.

During our meeting, of course he told me I made the cut. Yay. I was told that TPS has a very high success rate at finding people jobs at the executive level. When asked if
they are a headhunting company, the man just said they are more of a "marketing" company. They have vast underground networks of connections to hidden executive level
jobs that not even the headhunters could get a hold off. Of course. I was told that they would make me extremely marketable for a small fee. Something that would not put
me in financial strain. However no amount was given. When I ask what type of services they would provide to me, the man said, and I kid you not, "extremely valuable service".
And that was it. I told him that it doesn't sound right that I have to pay them money immediately since they can not guarantee a job. He then goes on telling me that they are
like real estate agents. They work on a small commission fee. Funny thing is, real estate agents only make the commission once they help a client sell or find a house. Unlike
these clowns. What a loser.

Eventually I was asked to come in a for 2nd interview. This time with my wife. My wife??? "This should concern her since this is a about you" was the reply I got when asked why
I need my wife to be there. Its not like I am going to a swinger's party. At that point the only thing in my mind was getting the heck out of this scamming place. Thank god my
instincts were on high alert. It doesn't take a genius to see through the shenannigens. I just wish something could be done to these scums.

A heads up to anybody: the company is now called TPS Associates. They are at 1 Yonge Street. The man goes by the name Steven D. Fischer.
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
1 upvote
5859 Younge Street, …
This company appears to be trying to avoid legal action by calling themselves a "Marketing Agency".
It is absolutely illegal for an agency to charge you a fee.

According to The Employment Standards Act, recruitment agencies aren't allowed to do any of the following:

1. Charging a fee to an assignment employee in connection with him or her becoming an assignment employee of the agency.
2. Charging a fee to an assignment employee in connection with the agency assigning or attempting to assign him or her to perform work on a temporary basis for clients or potential clients of the agency.
3. Charging a fee to an assignment employee of the agency in connection with assisting or instructing him or her on preparing resumes or preparing for job interviews.
4. Restricting an assignment employee of the agency from entering into an employment relationship with a client.
5. Charging a fee to an assignment employee of the agency in connection with a client of the agency entering into an employment relationship with him or her.
6. Restricting a client from providing references in respect of an assignment employee of the agency.
7. Restricting a client from entering into an employment relationship with an assignment employee.
8. Charging a fee to a client in connection with the client entering into an employment relationship with an assignment employee, except as permitted by subsection (2).
9. Charging a fee that is prescribed as prohibited.
10. Imposing a restriction that is prescribed as prohibited. 2009, c. 9, s. 3.

You can find the complete employment act here: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK149

Overall, if at any point an agency starts bringing up fees that should be your cue to exit.
The part about asking candidates to bring their wives to a second interview is also completely baffling and another huge red flag.
Jul 4, 2009
178 posts
49 upvotes
Good to note that "Cornerstone / Canadian Career Managemant Group" (oops, guess it should be "Cornerstone / Canadian Career Management Group") shows up as #1 and #3, respectively, for those two google searches. Hopefully this thread'll help people.

I recall a similar slimy scam ages ago when I was in university. The prof let a couple of "alumni" speak to the class - they must've hit up a few lecture halls as a year later I got a sales pitch from a poor acquaintance of a classmate who got suckered into the scam. For shame that these get rich quick schemes continue to fester - though judging from some of the other spam people get to convince them to turn over their PINs and such, I'm not surprised sadly.
Dec 30, 1969
98 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
it sound weird, i also have the opinion that it kind of scam.
Dec 30, 1969
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
moshiden wrote:
Jun 12th, 2014 10:50 am
I recently went to an "interview" with a company call TPS Associates. They found my resume and wanted to discuss potential employment opportunities they have lined up.
Right away, a slimy looking man greets me and we head off to a meeting room. He starts off by saying he sees 10-15 people a day. Only 3 make the cut as an ideal "fit"
candidate. Funny, if there were that many people scheduled, I would figure there would be at least 1-2 people waiting at the reception. Nothing.

During our meeting, of course he told me I made the cut. Yay. I was told that TPS has a very high success rate at finding people jobs at the executive level. When asked if
they are a headhunting company, the man just said they are more of a "marketing" company. They have vast underground networks of connections to hidden executive level
jobs that not even the headhunters could get a hold off. Of course. I was told that they would make me extremely marketable for a small fee. Something that would not put
me in financial strain. However no amount was given. When I ask what type of services they would provide to me, the man said, and I kid you not, "extremely valuable service".
And that was it. I told him that it doesn't sound right that I have to pay them money immediately since they can not guarantee a job. He then goes on telling me that they are
like real estate agents. They work on a small commission fee. Funny thing is, real estate agents only make the commission once they help a client sell or find a house. Unlike
these clowns. What a loser.

Eventually I was asked to come in a for 2nd interview. This time with my wife. My wife??? "This should concern her since this is a about you" was the reply I got when asked why
I need my wife to be there. Its not like I am going to a swinger's party. At that point the only thing in my mind was getting the heck out of this scamming place. Thank god my
instincts were on high alert. It doesn't take a genius to see through the shenannigens. I just wish something could be done to these scums.

A heads up to anybody: the company is now called TPS Associates. They are at 1 Yonge Street. The man goes by the name Steven D. Fischer.
Hi guys,

I'm afraid everything that was mentioned here about TPS Associates and this Mr. Steven D. Fischer is true. I just had an interview with him last Monday at the same address (1 Yonge street <-- The Toronto Star Building) because the day before (Sunday; who calls on a Sunday?), a certain "Anna" rung me and told me the same script about out of hundreds of applicants I was selected for an interview. The office is located on level 18, as per Anna's instructions. Upon reaching the floor, I should inform whoever is in the reception that I have an appointment with Anna at 11. I came 20 minutes earlier just to calm my nerves down. This also gave me a chance to observe what kind of an environment I was in to. The office appeared to be some kind of an office rental space where all incoming calls pass through one main reception. There seemed to be several companies inside based on the different answers the reception makes whenever she picks up the phone. Anyway, it was getting close to 11 when a white fella in his 50s came in and guess what, he asked what my last name was! At the back of my mind, maybe this guy mistook me for someone. Now, I am not a native english speaker and I have a non-caucasian sounding name so I figured I had to pronounce my name in the way it is supposed to be said. When I said my family name, I got the impression that he did not understand what I said, only that it sounded different to him, ignored it and motioned me with his hand to follow him. We got on the lift and alighted on the 19th. This guy was as confident as can be, and you can feel that he knows what he's up to. We got onto business after I passed him an updated copy of my CV. I saw that he browsed through them, giving me the impression that he was generally impressed by what he sees.

Long story short, the whole point of the meeting was an attempt to cash in on my vulnerability as an unemployed fresh immigrant bound to meet him again in a few days to bring along the spouse where his partner, Gord (or Gordon), will present his views on how to make me more marketable.

Appranently, we are not alone:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... tml?page=2
Dec 30, 1969
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
asaadmq wrote:
Sep 11th, 2013 5:08 am
Any updates on the company or new companies that do the same thing?
bro, they're still at it, this is their latest contact which I got from an encounter yesterday. I was invited for the 2nd meeting with the instruction to bring along my spouse. Take note of the quality of the business card. I imagine this was poorly cut-out from a single piece of printed paper.

Jun 16, 2008
652 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
shinotsuchi wrote:
Jan 20th, 2015 5:07 pm
bro, they're still at it, this is their latest contact which I got from an encounter yesterday. I was invited for the 2nd meeting with the instruction to bring along my spouse. Take note of the quality of the business card. I imagine this was poorly cut-out from a single piece of printed paper.

LOL @ 16 month post reply, thanks for the info, i am following this :)

EDIT: Whatever information you have (website etc) forward it to me via PM
Dec 30, 1969
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
asaadmq wrote:
Jan 20th, 2015 10:36 pm
LOL @ 16 month post reply, thanks for the info, i am following this :)

EDIT: Whatever information you have (website etc) forward it to me via PM
I just thought it would be beneficial for all to see this latest info (the 'amazing' quality of the business card, suspected to be poorly cut-out from a single piece of printed paper), which I failed to indicate properly in my last post:

http://postimg.org/image/tkvvl3kcj/
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1331 posts
388 upvotes
Ontario
An organization that offers air traffic controller jobs does something similar. $200 approx. to take a 4 page test. I think their name is Nav Canada.
Apr 13, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Any way to report this to police or a fraud unit somewhere? I'd like to see the people behind this scam get shut down.

When I was younger, I ran into something similar. Still annoys me to this day that I got took for a scam.
Mar 6, 2016
1 posts
3 upvotes
This company has moved and is operating under a different name again. They are called Advantage Transitions, now at 401 Bay Street, Suite 1600. I did some forensic online investigating and the same people who were connected to TPS, YouFindWork, Toronto Pathways, RDG, Cornerstone, etc are still up to their tricks.

My younger brother (who has a learning disability) was bilked out of over $2300 by these people, by dishonest and illegal tactics, namely: saying he would never find a job again if he didn`t purchase their services.

Avoid, avoid, AVOID!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel