• Aug 12th, 2018 2:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8881 posts
1479 upvotes
兩最大

Avoid making holes in walls

Any one have this preference...ummm...addiction? I used to not care, if I have a painting, I'd just use a nail and hang it. Now, I'm finding all kinds of ways to try to avoid making holes. Those 3M Command strips are amazing since besides not making holes, then don't leave a mark when removed. The only things that breached my otherwise virgin walls are the TV and bathroom mirror.

What things do you have mounted that made holes or how did you avoid making them for stuff you wall-mounted?
11 replies
Oct 2, 2017
299 posts
178 upvotes
make holes then discover this amazing thing called drywall compound
You vandalize my perception but can't take style from me
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8954 posts
2866 upvotes
Brampton
I also try to avoid making holes for trivial things like paintings and photos. Mostly because matching paint Is a PITA. Patching is easy, I use DAP's nail filler but paint if I don't have a sample it's a PITA.

I just use 3M command for everything that isn't going to be permanently mounted
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2543 posts
1708 upvotes
That's like obsessing over the pristine doors of your new car before they get parking lot dings and dents from other careless people. You park far away from everyone else in the parking lot, and freak out when you come back to find a rusty old beater has parked right beside you for no reason. :)

People put nail holes in drywall for stuff. You'll get over it.
Nov 17, 2014
513 posts
194 upvotes
Ontario
tranquility922 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:09 pm
Any one have this preference...ummm...addiction? I used to not care, if I have a painting, I'd just use a nail and hang it. Now, I'm finding all kinds of ways to try to avoid making holes. Those 3M Command strips are amazing since besides not making holes, then don't leave a mark when removed. The only things that breached my otherwise virgin walls are the TV and bathroom mirror.

What things do you have mounted that made holes or how did you avoid making them for stuff you wall-mounted?
Those things are great until one fails, which has happened to me. I don't care how well you follow the instructions you're basically hanging things with glue.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3569 posts
2725 upvotes
Toronto
After you paint your walls, keep some of it in a smaller container/tub and put food wrap on top of the paint so it's not exposed to air (will keep it usable for many years) before closing the lid. I use large yogurt or small margarine containers. Then, filling and painting a small hole in the wall is very easy because you're just opening the small plastic container and stirring and painting with a small brush instead of re-opening a metal gallon can and dealing with a rusted edge, stirring with a paint stick, etc.

Then you'll realize it's very quick and easy to repair and repaint holes vs. 3M strips, which can add up and aren't 100% reliable.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2672 posts
1004 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 11:37 am
After you paint your walls, keep some of it in a smaller container/tub and put food wrap on top of the paint so it's not exposed to air (will keep it usable for many years) before closing the lid.
It's easier just to store your paint cans upside down.
May 31, 2017
99 posts
15 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:02 pm
It's easier just to store your paint cans upside down.
Omg does that really work??
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5079 posts
2424 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Many of my pictures are too heavy to trust to anything other than making holes (and I use anchors also). Doesn't really bother me since they are easy enough to fix when you need to.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3982 posts
994 upvotes
Debtario
I feel the same way, but only because of plaster walls.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15616 posts
1214 upvotes
Thornhill
For me, it ain’t secure until it’s attached to a stud with a 1/2” lag bolt :)

But seriously, fixing small holes is easy.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8881 posts
1479 upvotes
兩最大
I guess some of you guys don't care about fixing the walls when the time comes...to me, it's really a pita to plaster/try to match paint colors.

I've never had a 3M Command strip fail, then again, I don't hang heavy things w/ it, so it's a no-brainer imho.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)