Avoid TD Canada Trust

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2011 6:06 am
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
1093 posts
600 upvotes

Avoid TD Canada Trust

This is in regards to there Customer Service and there products.

I've had continued problems with this Company in terms of its products and Services.

1. They wanted to charge me $340 a month for car insurance, where as my current insurance company only charges me $267 (Gore Mutual Financials), and yes the exact same coverage.

2. The branch I went to (Upper James, in Hamilton Ontario) doesn't even know how to processes a wire transfer, nor could they processes a cheque from a reputable company (MBI) and lastly when I went to cash in a cheque they wanted to hodl it for 15 days, i went to a different bank and they processed it on the spot. The final straw was when they changed my US bank account without even telling me, how they aren't accountable for doing these types of things I have no clue. Avoid TD CANADA TRUST, HORRIDE service, and they will rip you off any chance they get, and if their reading this i'm sick of being treated like a douche bag, and i'll be canceling my cc, bank accounts, and investments with you, for a bank that actually has knowledgeable employees and care about my business.
65 replies
Jun 20, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
Hrm. I've never had an issue.

Perhaps it's operator error?

Just my $0.02. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
Prepare for a surge of flames from the TD select service mob...
[external advertising link removed]
Apr 6, 2007
407 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
wesboag wrote: Whatever happen to "Toronto" Dominion "Canada" Trust?
Got globalized :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver
wesboag wrote: I was speaking with a CSR at TD the other day on behalf of a client. I could barely understand the woman on the other end of the line. When I asked her if she was in Canada, she replied "no, India"....I asked her to repeat what I said to her a few times to confirm what I was saying to her. Not once did she reiterate what I had just said. I hung up.

Are you freaking serious? One of the largest employers in Canada, with a country fighting unemployment and you are outsourcing to India? It blew my mind! Whatever happen to "Toronto" Dominion "Canada" Trust?

I guess you bank with the good ole mattress? :rolleyes:
May 19, 2009
40 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
I like TD, it is the only one out of the big 5 banks that would waive fees with minimum balance. So far never had problems with them, except the financial advisors who speaks foreign languages to "help" immigrants. My parents being first generation immigrants got ripped off big time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
TD is alright but theyre starting to lose my interest outside of having a small checking account with atms everywhere. not really worth the time and money investment if you're a small timer trying to save up.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Been banking with Canada Trust and TD Canada Trust for over thirty years. Never had any kind of serious hassle.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16789 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
kar126 wrote: I like TD, it is the only one out of the big 5 banks that would waive fees with minimum balance. So far never had problems with them, except the financial advisors who speaks foreign languages to "help" immigrants. My parents being first generation immigrants got ripped off big time.

Yes,I like them. Quite friendly each time and a lot branches. Only surprised is when I changed my RRSP plan , that financial consultant told me he didn't use credit card :)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
wesboag wrote: I was speaking with a CSR at TD the other day on behalf of a client. I could barely understand the woman on the other end of the line. When I asked her if she was in Canada, she replied "no, India"....I asked her to repeat what I said to her a few times to confirm what I was saying to her. Not once did she reiterate what I had just said. I hung up.

Are you freaking serious? One of the largest employers in Canada, with a country fighting unemployment and you are outsourcing to India? It blew my mind! Whatever happen to "Toronto" Dominion "Canada" Trust?

Where have you been? Outsourced to India is old news. Same case with TD Visa cards.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
1348 posts
98 upvotes
Brampton
All banks are the same, there is no such thing as loyalty. As a former employee we did things for customers based on how much money they had and if they 'felt' like an honest person. (i.e a not a scammer) I know that current employees will say its not the truth. I say, put a microphone on someone who works at TD, any TD, don't tell the employees around that person and listen to the comments and things that are said. Any day, any condition, any time. I promise you, loyalty, products, services, blah blah blah, will go out the window. And I'm not a TD hater. Its every bank, my family works at almost every single major bank, some went in corrupt (willing to make a sale at the cost of a soul) and others like me sold their soul after we got there. IT was that or get fired or poor performance reviews. I was rated QH every single time, but I digress, I think I've almost got my soul back. Yesterday those automatic doors finally started to open for me again...

But if you have more then a little knowledge, you as a customer can play by the rules and have a lot of things for free. Many of them have been covered in these forums. So in that respect TD/RBC are good.
Jul 28, 2005
908 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
Nauth wrote: This is in regards to there Customer Service and there products.

I've had continued problems with this Company in terms of its products and Services.

1. They wanted to charge me $340 a month for car insurance, where as my current insurance company only charges me $267 (Gore Mutual Financials), and yes the exact same coverage.

2. The branch I went to (Upper James, in Hamilton Ontario) doesn't even know how to processes a wire transfer, nor could they processes a cheque from a reputable company (MBI) and lastly when I went to cash in a cheque they wanted to hodl it for 15 days, i went to a different bank and they processed it on the spot. The final straw was when they changed my US bank account without even telling me, how they aren't accountable for doing these types of things I have no clue. Avoid TD CANADA TRUST, HORRIDE service, and they will rip you off any chance they get, and if their reading this i'm sick of being treated like a douche bag, and i'll be canceling my cc, bank accounts, and investments with you, for a bank that actually has knowledgeable employees and care about my business.

Another Steel Towner! Now fill out your location please - rep it :)

You are not alone; I have had my fair share of incompetence at the very same Branch on Upper James (Mohawk/Upper James branch?). I had some problems withdrawing about $3000 in cash @ the teller & being told they needed more info from me before they could give me the $. I had these issues before therefore had them place a password in my file that I would direct them to so as to eliminate this sort of nonsense - however she still wasn't being cooperative! Fortunately a guy I went to HS with came over and asked what the problem was and just told her he'll vouch for me and just do it.

I've been in other TDCT locations & walked in with no ID at all, directed them to where password info is and they say no problem how much do you need?

My breaking point was when I had a friend pay back money in $20/$50 and I just wanted to keep the $ instead of depositing back into my acc't so I went in and wanted to convert the $ to strictly $50/$100 denominations. They told me they can't do that for someone walking in - I said excuse me I have an acc't here, still no go. I left and went to the next closest branch which was the one by Limeridge Mall & no problems whatsoever. I then closed my acc't on the spot. The teller at that location was very good & tried to persuade me but when I told him the story he said I don't blame you then. Been with PCF since - now looking to open another acc't with one of the big 4 banks.

Sounds like stay away from the idiots from TDCT on Upper James at all costs or at least definitely the one @ Upper James & Mohawk.
Ralphael wrote: Always buy!!! no regrets.... you can always return later....
MetalGear wrote: Nothing is more permanent than temporary
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1321 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
So everyone should avoid one of Canada's largest and top rated banks because a) they didn't give you the cheapest car insurance quote, b) you have an issue with a handful of their service reps at one of their branches, and c) you didn't make yourself familiar with their policies before you signed up for various services with them?
:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
wesboag wrote: I knew they hired those whose native tongue was not English speaking, but I didn't think they outsourced to third world countries.
I think its mentioned in Roseman's article in Toronto Star few years back.
I am with Canada trust for long time. But I don't like their service nowadays. Its not bad but not good as used to be.
The thing I see are new hires without experience. They have less info than whats on their web site.

Last month is the first time (in 20 Years) I had to show ID for $1000 US withdrawal for my US Visit.
The bad thing I see is no people over age 40 in branch.
Never Black people working in branch. I see Canadians of Chinese origin, Indian, Middle East but never black or African Canadian. :(
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver
champlinD wrote: Never Black people working in branch. I see Canadians of Chinese origin, Indian, Middle East but never black or African Canadian. :(
Not that I care, but my main branch has a black person working the counters.

Reason you don't see as much of them is probably cause they're at a disadvantage when it comes to having a second language skill that's spoken by a visible minority. I doubt it's what you're thinking.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1366 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
champlinD wrote: I think its mentioned in Roseman's article in Toronto Star few years back.
I am with Canada trust for long time. But I don't like their service nowadays. Its not bad but not good as used to be.
The thing I see are new hires without experience. They have less info than whats on their web site.

Last month is the first time (in 20 Years) I had to show ID for $1000 US withdrawal for my US Visit.
The bad thing I see is no people over age 40 in branch.
Never Black people working in branch. I see Canadians of Chinese origin, Indian, Middle East but never black or African Canadian. :(

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn12 ... racist.gif[/IMG]
Jul 28, 2005
908 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
Fox2k wrote: So everyone should avoid one of Canada's largest and top rated banks because a) they didn't give you the cheapest car insurance quote, b) you have an issue with a handful of their service reps at one of their branches, and c) you didn't make yourself familiar with their policies before you signed up for various services with them?
:facepalm:

I'm very familiar with what I signed up for etc; however I didn't & will not stand for idiots who have no clue of what they're doing on a repeated basis.
I have personally felt the Upper James/Mohawk branch to be a branch of bigots & only went to that branch as a last resort since it's so close to my home.
Gee isn't that why some on RFD avoid OCZ rebates, Stooples... poor service etc @ a location that sours you on the entire company?
If you want to allow a company to insult you etc & keep your patronage be my guest, but I will take my biz elsewhere where it will be appreciated & treated with respect - thanx
Ralphael wrote: Always buy!!! no regrets.... you can always return later....
MetalGear wrote: Nothing is more permanent than temporary
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2000 posts
115 upvotes
North York
Asking for ID on large transactions is for YOUR protection. They don't do it just to annoy you. I'm with TD on this one.
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
54 upvotes
Dilton wrote: Asking for ID on large transactions is for YOUR protection. They don't do it just to annoy you. I'm with TD on this one.
Pardon me, but that's a bunch of crapola.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1321 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
molexir wrote: I'm very familiar with what I signed up for etc; however I didn't & will not stand for idiots who have no clue of what they're doing on a repeated basis.
I have personally felt the Upper James/Mohawk branch to be a branch of bigots & only went to that branch as a last resort since it's so close to my home.
Gee isn't that why some on RFD avoid OCZ rebates, Stooples... poor service etc @ a location that sours you on the entire company?
If you want to allow a company to insult you etc & keep your patronage be my guest, but I will take my biz elsewhere where it will be appreciated & treated with respect - thanx

That's fine, but I would argue that there's quite a difference between staples / OCZ and a national bank. When you submit a rebate to OCZ, you are dealing with their corporate headquarters / rebate centre. When you deal with stooples, you are dealing with their corporate policies which are pushed on to the stores, and designed to lure customers in to the store, but ultimately do what's best for the store. When you have a bad experience at a bank, or several bad experiences, you are dealing with a branch that is managed by a local branch manager with minimal day-to-day influence from head office on how things are run. TD corporation has no way of knowing if a teller is not knowledgeable unless they are told. They have no way of knowing that a branch is poorly run, aside from reviewing that branch's performance, and receiving complaints from customers. I would also argue that if you continually have a bad experience with a particular branch, a better course of action would be to file a complaint and take your business to another branch, rather than to slander the reputation of the corporation.

I worked at staples for several years part time during my undergrad. I had a good experience with my job, but I hate the company. I hate their policies, I hate how the stores are always jerking people around (stooples for a reason), and I haven't shopped there in years. While I worked there, my managers were great, my co-workers were great. But I still think the company as a whole is going in the wrong direction. I am also a TD customer. I have a few accounts and a couple of mutual funds with them. I tried to get an auto insurance quote from them but they couldn't touch the quotes I received from several insurance brokers. So I don't have an auto policy with them. I have had issues with some people, at some branches, so I try to deal with my home branch whenever I can. All I'm trying to say is I don't think it's fair, in this case, to bash TD as a whole given what the OP provided.

based on recent posts it sounds like that branch as a whole is not doing too well. Maybe you guys should get together and try to do something about it :)