Food & Drink

Locked: Avoid Yang's Kitchen Sushi Bar in Markham! Police involved!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2009 9:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1642 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto

Avoid Yang's Kitchen Sushi Bar in Markham! Police involved!

Hey RFD,

I just had the worst dining experience at Yang's Kitchen Sushi Bar tonight, which is on the plaza in front of the Volvo dealership in Markham.

It wasn't about the food, but was the management/ownership in question (as well as customer service). Basically, we had a brief and civilized talk with the owner in regards of a mandatory service charge attached to the bill. While we agreed to the mandatory charge (as it was clearly noted in the menu), we didn't agree to the tip being added on top of the taxes. I gave her my reasoning, and she simply said that there was nothing she could do - as it was hardwired into the computer (as they've been doing the same thing for years, without complaints). I asked politely, if she could waive the 3 dollar difference between tip on subtotal, and tip on after taxes - by just not paying the three dollars. She rudely declined.

I realized that there wasn't a point in further arguments, and simply told her that I'd pay the three dollars, but would not be returning again (in a polite manner). She left at this point.

When we were digging up money from everyone.. she came back - looking to argue some more! WOW, so I told you that I was going to pay your stupid three dollars - you're going to argue with me and further piss me off? She repeats the same thing over and over - that this was hardwired in the system, and that I had gone overboard by calling them "cheats". I never had said they cheated their customers, but only said that it was "unethical". I tell her that I had no intentions of resisting the charge anymore and insisted that the argument should end - with us never returning again.

She calls us cheap, and then continues to stand there, waiting for the money. After a bit, I told her that we're still waiting for someone to come back, as they left midway throughout the dinner and didn't leave their money. She informs us that "we're lucky that she hasn't kicked us out of her restaurant, as tables are limited to 1.5 hours seating time, as specified in the menu". I flipped to the menu, and informed her that it was "dining time" that was limited to 1.5 hours - and we weren't dining, but paying the bill. I told her, if you're going to force us out of the restaurant - we'll leave, but we don't have enough money at the moment - and this is all you'll be getting from us. Basically, I told her "either you wait for the money, or take it as it is". A few employees come over to see what's happening, and the owner is talking smack about us (such as "our mothers not properly teaching us", and how "we were troublemakers"). This was all spoken in front of us, so that we could hear everything (deliberately, perhaps?).

So since the other person was taking awhile, I decide to foot the bill with my credit card and get the money from the person later.. They tell me that their machine is down - and that I'll have to run to the bank for money. The owner informs us that only I'm allowed to leave - and the rest will have to stay (because she said we were going to run with the bill unpaid - basically calling us thieves). I do this, and take a charge of $1.50 from the bank.. come back and pay them.

At this point, I proceed to take my receipt - and they told me that we had already received one. I asked them if they could print off another one, and they told me that they were not going to - in the rudest tone of voice. I insisted that I was going to take it, as I needed proof that I paid them. She starts yelling and swearing at me as I proceeded to the door.. and actually told one of her employees to chase after me (who informed me to "watch my back, and just give back the receipt"). I continued to insist that I was going to leave with my receipt simply because they were obligated to give me one after payment. I grabbed my girlfriend and walked out the door.

Doing that, she goes completely insane. She starts screaming off her lungs - and told me if I left - I would be committing theft (of a receipt?), and she would be calling the police. This was probably the only time I raised my voice, to which I responded by yelling back "Go ahead! Call the police, we'll see what they say about everything! Call them, but I'm leaving!".

She runs out the door, and literally jumps on me.. and tries to grab at the receipt from my hands. I proceed to put the receipt in my pocket, and she continues to assault me - by punching me, and continuing to grab the receipt.

I walk away from her, and everyone is pretty much at disbelief at her actions.. I try to leave, but she tells me that I'm not leaving until I give back the receipt. She tells us that "we shouldn't eat outside, if we can't afford to pay for it" - after we paid in full ($250.36)! Because we're being held against our will, I take my phone out, and start dialing 911 - but hung up, as I didn't want to block up the emergency lines and wanted to actually call the non-emergency.

We have more arguments, and she's still yelling her head off.

Police calls back, and I informed them of the situation. Two cops come over, gave the owners a lecture on assault and holding people against their wills and they end up (forcibly) surrendering the receipt to me. Police ask if I want to press charges, but I said no - simply that I didn't want a measly three dollars to escalate into criminal charges being laid - and the potential ruin of an entire restaurant. I simply told the police that I wanted the owners to understand the magnitude of their actions, and that it won't happen again (to other customers).

They never even said sorry!

That said, I will never return - and I'm sure none of the people who were with me today would as well. I'm posting this story here, so that you're aware of the people running that restaurant.

Summary Notes:
  • Yangs Kitchen Sushi Bar (4261 Highway 7, in Markham)
  • Charged a mandatory tip on top of taxes, rather than on the subtotal
  • Heated argument, and owner decided to talk personal smack about us
  • Smack includes things like "our mothers not teaching us well"
  • Absolutely rude, when we were being reasonable
  • Failed to provide us with a receipt after payment
  • After taking the receipt, owner swears and yells at us
  • Owner continues to chase us out the door for the receipt and assaults me
  • Owner holds us against our wills until the receipt is returned in the cold (at night)
  • I call the police, and everything is sorted
  • Do not visit this restaurant.
Share:
496 replies
Banned
Oct 11, 2005
3950 posts
34 upvotes
damn pretty crazy night for you
actually why did you go there at the first place? was the food good or something?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1828 posts
2 upvotes
Just a simple question.

What nationality are you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1642 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
The food used to be decent in the past, but the service was always lackluster. We went there for a friend's birthday dinner (with around twelve people). The service since my last visit, has obviously declined in quality - and the food as well.

I'm Chinese, so it shouldn't be the "generalization" of the Caucasian person being treated crappy by a Chinese owner. hahaha

Keep in mind, that very few of the waiters speak English - and if so, in broken English (we noticed that the table beside ours complained about this).
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3820 posts
66 upvotes
Why would you go there in the first place?
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2453 posts
38 upvotes
Wow, ignorant people. If I were you I would've just ruined them. But that's my opinion.

Blacklisted.
Protip : You save more money when you're not on RFD! :lol:
Jun 14, 2005
959 posts
36 upvotes
whoa... that must have been insane lol... im glad no one got seriously injured (cept u, who got jumped on and punched)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1642 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
ephemera wrote:
Oct 13th, 2007 2:30 am
Why would you go there in the first place?
Well originally, I didn't mind their service and found that the food was decent at first. On top of that, it was a larger group - and Yang's was probably the most convenient for everyone.

After what happened tonight, my guess is that next time - we'll be willing to travel a bit farther, just to avoid this excuse of a restaurant.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1828 posts
2 upvotes
I commend you on keeping your cool.

I can't be like that. I would have literally ended up stabbing the person who told me to "watch my back".

I really can't control myself in these situations.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1148 posts
27 upvotes
Service charge at a buffet is pretty common, actually. It is also applied at many regular restaurants for large parties. Yang's is not my favourite AYCE sushi place, but when nearby SO7 is full the large number of tables at Yang's means we can get a table faster.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1143 posts
72 upvotes
mmmken wrote:
Oct 13th, 2007 2:25 am
The food used to be decent in the past, but the service was always lackluster.
+1

I haven't been back to Yang's in months, and have no intention on returning... even though I've never had a problem with'em... my friend had a similar experience (minus the yelling and jumping on ya) and everyday people keep complaining about them.
May 5, 2006
690 posts
4 upvotes
mmmken wrote:
Oct 13th, 2007 1:42 am
Hey RFD,

I just had the worst dining experience at Yang's Kitchen Sushi Bar tonight, which is on the plaza in front of the Volvo dealership in Markham.

It wasn't about the food, but was the management/ownership in question (as well as customer service). Basically, we had a brief and civilized talk with the owner in regards of a mandatory service charge attached to the bill. While we agreed to the mandatory charge (as it was clearly noted in the menu), we didn't agree to the tip being added on top of the taxes. I gave her my reasoning, and she simply said that there was nothing she could do - as it was hardwired into the computer (as they've been doing the same thing for years, without complaints). I asked politely, if she could waive the 3 dollar difference between tip on subtotal, and tip on after taxes - by just not paying the three dollars. She rudely declined.

I realized that there wasn't a point in further arguments, and simply told her that I'd pay the three dollars, but would not be returning again (in a polite manner). She left at this point.

When we were digging up money from everyone.. she came back - looking to argue some more! WOW, so I told you that I was going to pay your stupid three dollars - you're going to argue with me and further piss me off? She repeats the same thing over and over - that this was hardwired in the system, and that I had gone overboard by calling them "cheats". I never had said they cheated their customers, but only said that it was "unethical". I tell her that I had no intentions of resisting the charge anymore and insisted that the argument should end - with us never returning again.

She calls us cheap, and then continues to stand there, waiting for the money. After a bit, I told her that we're still waiting for someone to come back, as they left midway throughout the dinner and didn't leave their money. She informs us that "we're lucky that she hasn't kicked us out of her restaurant, as tables are limited to 1.5 hours seating time, as specified in the menu". I flipped to the menu, and informed her that it was "dining time" that was limited to 1.5 hours - and we weren't dining, but paying the bill. I told her, if you're going to force us out of the restaurant - we'll leave, but we don't have enough money at the moment - and this is all you'll be getting from us. Basically, I told her "either you wait for the money, or take it as it is". A few employees come over to see what's happening, and the owner is talking smack about us (such as "our mothers not properly teaching us", and how "we were troublemakers"). This was all spoken in front of us, so that we could hear everything (deliberately, perhaps?).

So since the other person was taking awhile, I decide to foot the bill with my credit card and get the money from the person later.. They tell me that their machine is down - and that I'll have to run to the bank for money. The owner informs us that only I'm allowed to leave - and the rest will have to stay (because she said we were going to run with the bill unpaid - basically calling us thieves). I do this, and take a charge of $1.50 from the bank.. come back and pay them.

At this point, I proceed to take my receipt - and they told me that we had already received one. I asked them if they could print off another one, and they told me that they were not going to - in the rudest tone of voice. I insisted that I was going to take it, as I needed proof that I paid them. She starts yelling and swearing at me as I proceeded to the door.. and actually told one of her employees to chase after me (who informed me to "watch my back, and just give back the receipt"). I continued to insist that I was going to leave with my receipt simply because they were obligated to give me one after payment. I grabbed my girlfriend and walked out the door.

Doing that, she goes completely insane. She starts screaming off her lungs - and told me if I left - I would be committing theft (of a receipt?), and she would be calling the police. This was probably the only time I raised my voice, to which I responded by yelling back "Go ahead! Call the police, we'll see what they say about everything! Call them, but I'm leaving!".

She runs out the door, and literally jumps on me.. and tries to grab at the receipt from my hands. I proceed to put the receipt in my pocket, and she continues to assault me - by punching me, and continuing to grab the receipt.

I walk away from her, and everyone is pretty much at disbelief at her actions.. I try to leave, but she tells me that I'm not leaving until I give back the receipt. She tells us that "we shouldn't eat outside, if we can't afford to pay for it" - after we paid in full ($250.36)! Because we're being held against our will, I take my phone out, and start dialing 911 - but hung up, as I didn't want to block up the emergency lines and wanted to actually call the non-emergency.

We have more arguments, and she's still yelling her head off.

Police calls back, and I informed them of the situation. Two cops come over, gave the owners a lecture on assault and holding people against their wills and they end up (forcibly) surrendering the receipt to me. Police ask if I want to press charges, but I said no - simply that I didn't want a measly three dollars to escalate into criminal charges being laid - and the potential ruin of an entire restaurant. I simply told the police that I wanted the owners to understand the magnitude of their actions, and that it won't happen again (to other customers).

They never even said sorry!

That said, I will never return - and I'm sure none of the people who were with me today would as well. I'm posting this story here, so that you're aware of the people running that restaurant.

Summary Notes:
  • Yangs Kitchen Sushi Bar (4261 Highway 7, in Markham)
  • Charged a mandatory tip on top of taxes, rather than on the subtotal
  • Heated argument, and owner decided to talk personal smack about us
  • Smack includes things like "our mothers not teaching us well"
  • Absolutely rude, when we were being reasonable
  • Failed to provide us with a receipt after payment
  • After taking the receipt, owner swears and yells at us
  • Owner continues to chase us out the door for the receipt and assaults me
  • Owner holds us against our wills until the receipt is returned in the cold (at night)
  • I call the police, and everything is sorted
  • Do not visit this restaurant.
I understand your point - but to make this fuss over $3.00 and the fact that a bunch of you (from the size of the bill) didn't have $3.00 but had to go to the back machine is ridiculous - shame on you guys.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5263 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
never understood why ppl love yang's anyways.. went there once and was very disappointed (must be my high standards after hearing such good things about it).. service was crap (keep missing orders), and food was just average or below it... sushi on 7 i still take over yang's anyday... as it's consistent (even if i don't go for a long time).. too bad it's quite small :(

edit: oh yeah, good stuff keeping the cool... i may have wanted to press charges if i were u.. but then, just posting this around the net will do even more damage.. u know the old addage, 'one person tells ten ppl, those ten ppl tell ten other ppl' and so on...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1184 posts
53 upvotes
Reading what you gone through (being jumped and punched, and being a customer nonetheless!) , you definitely should have demanded an apology.

Personally I would have placed charges "IF" they didn't apologize. But I guess you're the bigger man here. *Thumbs UP*