Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

Avoiding bank monthly fees

I've got a friend switching from CIBC to TD and was wondering if there is anything they could do to avoid the bank fees or have them waived for a bit of time

They are bringing over chequing, saving and credit card and will be starting mutual fund investment account - although the total sum of funds is not high

They used to have promos for their switching to them so anything they can do in this "downtime"?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: I've got a friend switching from CIBC to TD and was wondering if there is anything they could do to avoid the bank fees or have them waived for a bit of time

They are bringing over chequing, saving and credit card and will be starting mutual fund investment account - although the total sum of funds is not high

They used to have promos for their switching to them so anything they can do in this "downtime"?
Min balance. TD has a website.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
Kaitlyn wrote: I've got a friend switching from CIBC to TD and was wondering if there is anything they could do to avoid the bank fees or have them waived for a bit of time

I think TD requires 5k to avoid bank fees...
BMO require 2.5k
RBC requires 3 products
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Ducky wrote: I think TD requires 5k to avoid bank fees...
BMO require 2.5k
RBC requires 3 products
Depends on which banking plan you want.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Sorry yes I was aware of the minimum balance to avoid fees but they are keeping a minimum in the checking account and so I was wondering if they would actually budge on the fees
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Ducky wrote: I think TD requires 5k to avoid bank fees...
BMO require 2.5k
RBC requires 3 products
TD requires 4k
BMO 3.5K
RBC 2 products + $5.95/month
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
MehtabS wrote: TD requires 4k
BMO 3.5K
RBC 2 products + $5.95/month
:facepalm:
No, :facepalm:
TD requires 2k :facepalm:
BMO 1.5K :facepalm:
RBC 2 products + $0.00/month :facepalm:

It depends on the banking plan you want.
Mar 2, 2014
930 posts
559 upvotes
Ontario
Kaitlyn wrote: Sorry yes I was aware of the minimum balance to avoid fees but they are keeping a minimum in the checking account and so I was wondering if they would actually budge on the fees
only time that happened to us was with CIBC when taking a mortgage with them, they waived monthly banking fees for a year.
Have tried with TD with my dad being senior, they still wouldnt budge on monthly fees (he only has chequing with them)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
Tangerine and PCF have free banking with no minimum required.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Switched everything to rbc recently and things have been going so much smoother. STAY AWAY FROM TD! They lost my business.

Take advantage of RBC's multi product rebate. You save more that way.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Sorry yes I was aware of the minimum balance to avoid fees but they are keeping a minimum in the checking account and so I was wondering if they would actually budge on the fees
With little assets, nope.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
hvwozq wrote: :facepalm:
No, :facepalm:
TD requires 2k :facepalm:
BMO 1.5K :facepalm:
RBC 2 products + $0.00/month :facepalm:

It depends on the banking plan you want.
hahahah
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
imflying12 wrote:
Take advantage of RBC's multi product rebate. You save more that way.
isn't that gone now or greatly diminished, just last month?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
jfmartel wrote: Tangerine and PCF have free banking with no minimum required.
PC Bank and Tangerine are both pretty decent. PC also has decent free credit cards with PC points on everything = free groceries.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
BMO is different depending on the plan you have, mine is 3500$ for the performance plan.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
gogoblender wrote: isn't that gone now or greatly diminished, just last month?
You can still get free banking if you switch to the Day to Day Banking package. I didn't make use of most of the No Limit package anyway, so downgrading to the lower level doesn't affect me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7086 upvotes
West GTEH!

Your friends should call TD directly and ask. or they should go into the Branch and ask a Manager this question.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
kool1 wrote: PC Bank and Tangerine are both pretty decent. PC also has decent free credit cards with PC points on everything = free groceries.
You can get PC credit cards without using PCF as your banking solution and vice-versa.

The PC World Mastercard gives you a 2% return when shopping only at locations that sell PC products and the points can only be redeemed at these same locations.

The MBNA Smartcash also gives 2%, but no restrictions on which grocery stores and your rewards are paid out by cheque.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
I'm with TD, min balance use to be $2500 but recently increased to $3000. Not happy about that and looking to switch.
Sep 20, 2013
447 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
Was with TD right from day 1. Switched to Tangerine a few months back when I received a letter from TD informing about their service fee increases. Couldn't have been happier!
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.