Sports & Recreation

"Away Fans" Section in European Futbol Soccer Stadiums?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West

"Away Fans" Section in European Futbol Soccer Stadiums?

Hello everyone,
I am planning a European trip pretty soon, and I want to take in a Champions League game. Stubhub still has tickets.

The stadium has an "away fans" section. But what does this really mean?
People who come from other places, other countries, must be seated in the "away" section? How do they even know whom you support, if you're not wearing a jersey or something?
Can I, as a foreigner, get a ticket in the "not away" section just to take in the game?
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
8 replies
Jan 7, 2013
16 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY
The away section is for fans of the visiting team. You can buy tickets in another section but do not openly root for the visiting team. It is meant to segregate home fans from visiting team fans to try to minimize potential confrontations.
Jun 9, 2005
7134 posts
280 upvotes
Scarborough
wesley1874 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:56 pm
The away section is for fans of the visiting team. You can buy tickets in another section but do not openly root for the visiting team. It is meant to segregate home fans from visiting team fans to try to minimize potential confrontations.
On top of this, these tickets are typically allocated to the away team, and sold through the away team directly.

If you just want to attend the game and have not real rooting interest in either team, you can purchase tickets in any section. You'll sometimes see away team fans in non away fans section, but expect a hostile environment.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5859 posts
1229 upvotes

Soccer, for whatever reason, is more likely to incite riots in the stands among fans than other sporting events; including the Olympics.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:28 pm
Hello everyone,
I am planning a European trip pretty soon, and I want to take in a Champions League game. Stubhub still has tickets.

The stadium has an "away fans" section. But what does this really mean?
People who come from other places, other countries, must be seated in the "away" section? How do they even know whom you support, if you're not wearing a jersey or something?
Can I, as a foreigner, get a ticket in the "not away" section just to take in the game?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
Update
Well, I got the e-ticket through stubhub for almost 3X the original ticket price. Turns out stubhub does not release the ticket PDF download until 3 days before the event. They claim it is for security but I think the real reason is that they don't want people to re-sell it again on competing websites.

Well, 3 days before the event is the same day I am getting on the plane. I have a night flight, so hopefully I can print the ticket at home before I go, rather than finding an internet cafe or something in Europe.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 9, 2005
7134 posts
280 upvotes
Scarborough
Depending which club, sometimes the tickets aren't released to ticket holders til closer to game day, so it might not be a StubHub driven thing. It's a pretty popular practice in NA where concert/sporting tickets are only printable/released 48 hours before the game/concert.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
wesleyw wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:45 am
Depending which club, sometimes the tickets aren't released to ticket holders til closer to game day, so it might not be a StubHub driven thing. It's a pretty popular practice in NA where concert/sporting tickets are only printable/released 48 hours before the game/concert.
Strange, I haven't even seen this in Canada but OK I suppose it's a plausible reason. Thanks.
The club is Sporting CP.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 9, 2005
7134 posts
280 upvotes
Scarborough
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:55 am
Strange, I haven't even seen this in Canada but OK I suppose it's a plausible reason. Thanks.
The club is Sporting CP.
Both Leafs and Raptors have it set up so that if you bought via TicketMaster (not a SSH or anything like that), you won't have access to your tickets until 48 hours before the game.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
wesleyw wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 4:21 pm
Both Leafs and Raptors have it set up so that if you bought via TicketMaster (not a SSH or anything like that), you won't have access to your tickets until 48 hours before the game.
OK I've only been to the Blue Jays and I never knew about this.

What if you bought it at the box office?

Edit: Got my PDF Tickets today!