Sports & Recreation

"Away Fans" Section in European Futbol Soccer Stadiums?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 1:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West

"Away Fans" Section in European Futbol Soccer Stadiums?

See Post #10 for Update!!!

Hello everyone,
I am planning a European trip pretty soon, and I want to take in a Champions League game. Stubhub still has tickets.

The stadium has an "away fans" section. But what does this really mean?
People who come from other places, other countries, must be seated in the "away" section? How do they even know whom you support, if you're not wearing a jersey or something?
Can I, as a foreigner, get a ticket in the "not away" section just to take in the game?
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Sep 11th, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
13 replies
Jan 7, 2013
17 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY
The away section is for fans of the visiting team. You can buy tickets in another section but do not openly root for the visiting team. It is meant to segregate home fans from visiting team fans to try to minimize potential confrontations.
Jun 9, 2005
7155 posts
282 upvotes
Scarborough
wesley1874 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:56 pm
The away section is for fans of the visiting team. You can buy tickets in another section but do not openly root for the visiting team. It is meant to segregate home fans from visiting team fans to try to minimize potential confrontations.
On top of this, these tickets are typically allocated to the away team, and sold through the away team directly.

If you just want to attend the game and have not real rooting interest in either team, you can purchase tickets in any section. You'll sometimes see away team fans in non away fans section, but expect a hostile environment.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes

Soccer, for whatever reason, is more likely to incite riots in the stands among fans than other sporting events; including the Olympics.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:28 pm
Hello everyone,
I am planning a European trip pretty soon, and I want to take in a Champions League game. Stubhub still has tickets.

The stadium has an "away fans" section. But what does this really mean?
People who come from other places, other countries, must be seated in the "away" section? How do they even know whom you support, if you're not wearing a jersey or something?
Can I, as a foreigner, get a ticket in the "not away" section just to take in the game?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
Update
Well, I got the e-ticket through stubhub for almost 3X the original ticket price. Turns out stubhub does not release the ticket PDF download until 3 days before the event. They claim it is for security but I think the real reason is that they don't want people to re-sell it again on competing websites.

Well, 3 days before the event is the same day I am getting on the plane. I have a night flight, so hopefully I can print the ticket at home before I go, rather than finding an internet cafe or something in Europe.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 9, 2005
7155 posts
282 upvotes
Scarborough
Depending which club, sometimes the tickets aren't released to ticket holders til closer to game day, so it might not be a StubHub driven thing. It's a pretty popular practice in NA where concert/sporting tickets are only printable/released 48 hours before the game/concert.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
wesleyw wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:45 am
Depending which club, sometimes the tickets aren't released to ticket holders til closer to game day, so it might not be a StubHub driven thing. It's a pretty popular practice in NA where concert/sporting tickets are only printable/released 48 hours before the game/concert.
Strange, I haven't even seen this in Canada but OK I suppose it's a plausible reason. Thanks.
The club is Sporting CP.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jun 9, 2005
7155 posts
282 upvotes
Scarborough
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:55 am
Strange, I haven't even seen this in Canada but OK I suppose it's a plausible reason. Thanks.
The club is Sporting CP.
Both Leafs and Raptors have it set up so that if you bought via TicketMaster (not a SSH or anything like that), you won't have access to your tickets until 48 hours before the game.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
wesleyw wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 4:21 pm
Both Leafs and Raptors have it set up so that if you bought via TicketMaster (not a SSH or anything like that), you won't have access to your tickets until 48 hours before the game.
OK I've only been to the Blue Jays and I never knew about this.

What if you bought it at the box office?

Edit: Got my PDF Tickets today!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
Update...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post an update here and say that I did spend the exorbitant cash on Stubhub and I went to the game.
It was just a crazy environment and I had zero regrets!
The cost was $270 for super crappy seats in the back. But I saw Messi. I'm glad I did it.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3018 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
OP glad you had fun and it was an good experience for you !
Oct 13, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
Couple years ago, I also watched a "football" game while travelling Europe. I think if you have no affiliation with the home team nor the away team, it doesn't really matter. However, if you are looking for good atmosphere, you ought to stay away from the away fan section. stay close to the home team fans is the way to be. Get a jersey as well, cause they are cheap if you pick one that's a season old. No one really care if you wear a year old jersey. Good luck and enjoy your game.

I was able to buy ticket from the fan site, and they are usually available maybe X number of days before the game day. They were resale ticket from season ticket holders or fans who bought the tickets already. Stubhub is expensive and not necessary good seat.
Sep 19, 2013
952 posts
274 upvotes
Winnipeg
i have been a football fan. when I moved to Canada few years and started following NHL, one thing I was surprised about was there are so many games, and people are just hopping from one game to another. theres no real stability. see for football, every game is an event, and there is so much buildup and fans look forward to the weekend game. in NHL, theres little time to breath between games and fans are just crazy to go for a game. theres no real celebration if the team wins and no real sadness if your team loses.

i told one of my office colleagues about this, and he said they have so many games for the revenue. i think NHL experience would improve a lot if they cut down on # of games, so that each game has more value. i dont know much about the revenue and $ figures, so cant really comment if it would affect the business in a major way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
amitdi wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:47 pm
i told one of my office colleagues about this, and he said they have so many games for the revenue. i think NHL experience would improve a lot if they cut down on # of games, so that each game has more value. i dont know much about the revenue and $ figures, so cant really comment if it would affect the business in a major way.
I'm not going to deny any of this. I'll only add that European football stadiums have far more seats than a hockey arena, so they can sell the same number of tickets in fewer matches.
- Casual Gastronomist -