• Jun 8th, 2009 11:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
10 posts
montreal

AWD on Nissan Rogue really functional??

Looking to buy a Rogue, never have a awd before, is that really good for winter?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21224 posts
2344 upvotes
Montreal
Unless you regularly drive up the mountain in snow or ice, FWD is just fine.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2416 posts
62 upvotes
Thornhill
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2009 10:52 pm
Unless you regularly drive up the mountain in snow or ice, FWD is just fine.
+1

A good set of winter tires and alert driving, and FWD is perfectly fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17414 posts
1610 upvotes
Woodbridge
My Dad has the SL FWD with Blizzak's and I had a blast last winter. I drove my cousin to the Airport 3AM and it snowing heavily, my drive was amazing.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5674 posts
1339 upvotes
BC
Why do people in Eastern Canada always talk as though the only reason for having AWD in a vehicle is better traction in snow?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
macnut wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2009 11:38 pm
Why do people in Eastern Canada always talk as though the only reason for having AWD in a vehicle is better traction in snow?
We're talking about a rogue here.. automatic cuv. It's not like awd makes it more fun to drive like an audi quattro or wrx..
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
10 posts
montreal
cuz I am not a skier,I think it is fine to get a FWD. Thanks for your guys.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa
Hmmm. Here's one vote for AWD and good winter tires. CUV or not, you'll have a blast in wet, icy, and snowy conditions. Our "fleet" used to be FWD (with separate winter wheels) and the AWD performance is another level better.

That being said, you are looking at a CUV that is primarily designed to operate as FWD until the system detects slippage. I think the Rogue also sends some of power aft at launch but it will mostly operate as a FWD vehicle. IOW, not a true full-time AWD and most definitely NOT an off-roader. I personally think of this configuration as a FWD with enhanced traction.

YMMV
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
143 upvotes
North
[QUOTE]Other features we give credit for on the Rogue is the AWD system, which connects with the standard Vehicle Dynamic Control sensors (yaw, wheel sip, steering angle) to send torque front to rear as needed. The torque is split 50:50 at start in preparation of any type of surface.[/QUOTE]

http://suvs.about.com/od/nissa1/fr/08_NissanRogubj.htm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24026 posts
4311 upvotes
Nah the AWD isn't "really functional" at all. Nissan just slaps an AWD badge on the FWD model and then charges you an extra couple thousand for the badge :lol:
macnut wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2009 11:38 pm
x2. What's funny is this is not a reason at all. AWD doesn't give you any better traction, it just utiliises more traction (from the other two tyres). And tyres is the key word--that's where your traction comes from, not from what wheels are driven.
CaptSmethwick wrote:That being said, you are looking at a CUV that is primarily designed to operate as FWD until the system detects slippage. I think the Rogue also sends some of power aft at launch but it will mostly operate as a FWD vehicle. IOW, not a true full-time AWD and most definitely NOT an off-roader. I personally think of this configuration as a FWD with enhanced traction.
Actually it is a "true full-time AWD" vehicle. Full-time AWD is essentially a redundant phrase as by the typical definition of AWD, any AWD vehicle is full-time 4WD. I've said it many times before, the term "full-time" when it comes to driving all four wheels does not refer to torque splits or what wheels are driven when, it refers to the system being engaged (or able to be engaged) at all times in all driving conditions, which is certainly the case with the Rogue where the AWD sytem (like any true AWD system) is not even normally defeatable.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21224 posts
2344 upvotes
Montreal
guuddee wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2009 11:52 pm
cuz I am not a skier,I think it is fine to get a FWD. Thanks for your guys.
You don't need to be skier though. I have to climb Peel or Atwater every day to get to work. There days when AWD saved my ass getting to work. Consider your driving patterns. FWD cars suck when going uphill.