None
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
421 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

B.C. teacher disciplined (no sex but racism this time)--updated

The B.C. Teacher Regulation Branch has released the discipline proceedings of two B.C. high school teachers involved in inappropriate behaviour with students.

In the first case, a South Peace Secondary School teacher was reprimanded after grabbing a female students face and blowing on it.

The incident occurred in January and the teacher, Richard Andy George Roderick Payne, was suspended without pay for one day.

It was not his first infraction. He was reprimanded in March 2011 for allegedly dumping a student out of his chair and later admitted to hitting another student on the arm.

In October 2011, he broke a hockey stick over a student’s back, allegedly in jest. Then in November 2012 he was found to be hugging students and placing his hands on their shoulders.

He was reprimanded under a consent resolution order and was required to undergo counselling or have his licence suspended.

In the second case, Hazelton high school teacher Brian Allen Procter was reprimanded and required to take a boundaries course after incidents involving racial name-calling and photographing of students.

In February 2013, while working as a teacher on call, Procter had referred to a student of Asian descent as “Ching Chong” and jokingly asked female students to go out into the hall to attract male students who were not yet in class.

He also took pictures of some students in class without their knowledge or consent. The district suspended him for three months after the incidents.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/high+sc ... story.html
10 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10071 posts
1410 upvotes
Toronto
Hah, sounds like he's losing his mind.

Would be funny to have a teacher named Mr. Payne
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8845 posts
2271 upvotes
London
They sound like every gym teacher I've ever had.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6932 posts
1753 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I am actually kind of gratified when I see the number of teachers in BC disciplined by the College of Teachers. In 2013 there were 81 decisions related to professional discipline. The College has over 68,000 registrants, so that is a rate of less than 0.12%.

The real rate is even lower as some of the published decisions were related to procedural issues, such as whether a previous decision ought to be published or whether a conviction for homocide (not of a student) constituted "conduct unbecoming". (Really, see https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/docu ... 130806.pdf)

A quick sampling of the reports suggests to me that addressing competency was more common that addressing misconduct.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17760 posts
2927 upvotes
Toronto
It's because of guys like this that male teachers get stigmatized and harassed by parents. Good job, *****s.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2644 posts
77 upvotes
Ching Chong is not ok.

But everything else. The punks probably deserved it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8020 posts
251 upvotes
Phoenix3434 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2014 2:12 pm
Ching Chong is not ok.

It's good to know you don't mind if a teacher takes secret pictures of students...yikes!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2070 posts
115 upvotes
North York
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 10th, 2014 8:00 am
Would be funny to have a teacher named Mr. Payne
My doctor's name is Dr. Payne. I always get a couple of chuckles whenever I tell people this.

This teacher sounds like a crappy person to be in a teaching position. Who would want this kind of person to be teaching their children?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Phoenix3434 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2014 2:12 pm
Ching Chong is not ok.

What about Cheech'n'Chong? Maybe he called the student a pot head.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
421 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jul 10th, 2014 1:02 pm
I am actually kind of gratified when I see the number of teachers in BC disciplined by the College of Teachers. In 2013 there were 81 decisions related to professional discipline. The College has over 68,000 registrants, so that is a rate of less than 0.12%.

The real rate is even lower as some of the published decisions were related to procedural issues, such as whether a previous decision ought to be published or whether a conviction for homocide (not of a student) constituted "conduct unbecoming". (Really, see https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/docu ... 130806.pdf)

A quick sampling of the reports suggests to me that addressing competency was more common that addressing misconduct.
Just like everything else here, under-reported, sweep under the rug.
Feb 19, 2006
905 posts
173 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Let's examine these

list of inappropriate behaviour with students.
-> grabbing a female students face and blowing on it.
* Injustice here is that the female student found it sexually gratifying.

-> allegedly dumped a student out of his chair and later admitted to hitting another student on the arm.
* Nothing wrong with asserting your authority.

-> broke a hockey stick over a student’s back
* Why have a hockey stick in class to begin with?

-> found to be hugging students and placing his hands on their shoulders.
*At least he didn't shake their hands, lmao

-> Incident involving racial name-calling and photographing of students.
* He threw some jokes out there.

-> referred to a student of Asian descent as “Ching Chong”
* Not sure whether Chinese take offense to this.

-> jokingly asked female students to go out into the hall to attract male students who were not yet in class.
* Hooking kids up, not too shaby. I had one teacher in my elementary years that acted as a wingman.

-> He also took pictures of some students in class without their knowledge or consent.
* He should have made them sign waivers. Get with the times people. It's 2014, it's not 1998 anymore.

Reminds me of Phil Dunfee from Modern Family.
[IMG]http://static.dnaindia.com/sites/defaul ... dunphy.jpg[/IMG]