• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2006 9:24 am
Tags:
None
Feb 23, 2006
182 posts
3 upvotes
any work experience?
what kind of experience does the HR look at?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
LoL... good thing I'm above the 'no degree' average :)

Yeah... I would definately get some seriouse experience before getting an MBA... they definately go hand-in-hand.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Sep 21, 2003
370 posts
2 upvotes
I highly doubt any good MBA program would admit you without any work experience.

Also, an MBA really adds little learning value if you already have a B Comm, as you are learning a lot of the same things again. (I only have a B.Comm and I tutor someone in an MBA program in finance) An MBA works the best for people with working experience and coming from a non B.Comm background. (ie. Engineering)

I would put a lot of thought into what you want to do now. I remember in my third year, that was the year to decide your specialty. Also, third year is when the most internship positions are made avaliable to you. Getting that internship position in the summer will make your fourth year job hunt a lot easier. (Most likely you will be offered a job by your summer employer).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
dmatthew wrote:oh
you mean those asians whose parents made a fortune in HK (and to some extent, here in canada as well) and just mindlessly spoil their kids?

Lol
Or they want to make you think that .... most aren't that rich, they just pose
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
forgamez wrote:I highly doubt any good MBA program would admit you without any work experience.

Also, an MBA really adds little learning value if you already have a B Comm, as you are learning a lot of the same things again. (I only have a B.Comm and I tutor someone in an MBA program in finance) An MBA works the best for people with working experience and coming from a non B.Comm background. (ie. Engineering)

I would put a lot of thought into what you want to do now. I remember in my third year, that was the year to decide your specialty. Also, third year is when the most internship positions are made avaliable to you. Getting that internship position in the summer will make your fourth year job hunt a lot easier. (Most likely you will be offered a job by your summer employer).

I would agree with most of the stuff you have written....when you are in undergrade, don't even think about a masters degree.....focus on getting that summer job during the 3rd year...then with that experience, find a full-time job during your 4th year on-campus recruiting drive.

However, I disagree that MBA works best for non-B.Comm students....
Most of the time that is true..
But if you are working in certain industries...its almost a requirement to go get that MBA, even if you have a B.Comm background..
The two industry that I can think of are Investment banking, where when you are undergrad, you will join the firm as an 'analyst'...work there for 2 years...leave for the MBA...and come back to be an 'associate'.....
Another industry is the Mangement Consulting(espeically the strategy field) field....where you will work as a consultant for 2 years...and you go back for the MBA...and return as a senior consultant/manager.

Those 2 fields are pretty strict about those requirements....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9253 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
forgamez wrote:I highly doubt any good MBA program would admit you without any work experience.

my friend who graduated from U wat in engineering (not sure which one) is doing his MBA at laurier.

lol not famous for their mba but its still there.

its possible w/o work exp. (well he had coop terms i guess) but yah i guess not really recommended

EXTRA school SEEMs almost like a must (but i think it has a lot to do with all ppl i talk to are in my program..business ppl so we all think everyone is getting oneb/c we talk to each other)

MBA & CA however is rare..i've never seen.i think one is enough

i'm going for CA
Koodo Mobile Plan | $30 20gb plan
Virgin Plus Internet Plan | $45 300mbps plan

WTS: Keyboards
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
fl4wless wrote:i second that, you will be hard pressed to find a job with a high educational background and no applicable experience.

I know a lot of employers who wouldn't even look at your resume with an MBA if you didn't have good experience behind it. For the MBA programs you need the experience just to get into the school, let alone the work after.

If you can't get good experience prior or after, don't spend the time and money on the degree or else you'll have a lot of debt with questionable payoff.

I work with a few MBA/CA and most say that the CA is giving them what they need and not the MBA. I think it's a straight Return on Investment situation for them.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2005
3789 posts
43 upvotes
South Orange
Agreed, my dad says the same thing. The MBA is really for those without a business background and actually was created for engineers (haha). In effect, the MBA program covers the same material as the B.Com program and doesn't give much real value added. An accounting designation would give more value added.
1980 posts
322 upvotes
Hi guys , quick question , I am going into university this upcoming september .... I've been hearing all kinds of things about CSC ..... now ... my question is ..... as a graduating high school student , is it too early to go for my CSC course , or I should do it now to get ahead of the game ?
Mar 31, 2005
153 posts
way too early to take that now, take it when you are in 3/4year.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1980 posts
322 upvotes
Thanks for the advice J Babe :)
Sep 21, 2003
370 posts
2 upvotes
J_babe wrote:way too early to take that now, take it when you are in 3/4year.

I would disagree. I would take the CSC now if you are looking to get a finance or banking related job or internship in the near future. It looks better on your resume to already have your CSC than to say you are in process of doing it. But only take it if you are looking to work in a finance or banking related job. Basically, the CSC just shows to the employer or interviewer that you are committed in starting a finance related career and you are willing to devote outside school time and money (i think CSC is like $600 now?) to further your learning.

Since you are just starting University, the material may be a little tougher for you since it will be your first time seeing it. (When I did it, I already learned all the theory stuff, just had to memorize all the regulations). Luckily, financial and economic theory is pretty simple to learn on your own (you will probably also learn it concurrently at uni.) and the rest of the material is straight memorization. I would get it over with now, as the the price of taking the CSC keeps rising each year.
Sep 7, 2005
101 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
The CSC is like $800 now and I would take an investment course first at university before enrolling. When I did the investment course at UofT, they gave us a special student rate. The theories you learn in the course will make the CSC exams easier.
Sep 15, 2005
274 posts
honestly the CSC is a piece of cake. If you are at St.G campus and took mgt337 or mgt330, then you'll be fine with the CSC. I dont think the CSC will do much career wise but many employers do ask for it or ask that you complete it while employed with them simply to show that you do have some knowledge of finance; it is a starting point. I suggest that you look at CFA.

Also, I think the CSC expires if you have 3 consecutive years of non-applicable experience. That might be a factor into when you want to do your CSC. The price has increased significantly over the years.

I agree with those who said that MBA adds more value to those without B. Comm as those with B. Comm will have already covered a portion of the material whereas those from other fields are adding a MBA perspective to their field.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
yeah i've heard csc doesn't go very far... good for entry level though...

if you want to get into finance...

cga decent sr level probably with a bit of exp.

cma very sr level with alot of exp

ca shouold be rolling in the doh

gf should be getting her cma soon... hopefully i can become a f/t fisherman :)
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)