Expired Hot Deals

[B&H] Elac Uni-Fi UB5 Speakers - $530 CDN delivered!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 2:39 am
Tags:
Feb 27, 2016
150 posts
26 upvotes
Would these bookshelfs be a good start system for me? I'm looking to go from a 2.0 in my apartment to a 5.1 once I move into a detached home. Would these be good?

Do they have matching centre speakers / subs ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19224 posts
923 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:58 pm
your sound quality is only as good as your weakest link. The acoustics, placement, speakers, amp and source quality all play their parts.
+1

The greatest speakers and electronics in a room with poor acoustics wont sound so great. Most of the time you can do minor tweaks to the rooms acoustics, but sometimes you're stuck with what you have.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19224 posts
923 upvotes
tallestman wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:00 pm
Would these bookshelfs be a good start system for me? I'm looking to go from a 2.0 in my apartment to a 5.1 once I move into a detached home. Would these be good?

Sure. And yes.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
tallestman wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:00 pm

This would be a fantastic starter system, way better than average for sure.

Yes, there is a matching center. Anything that has "uni-fi" in the name are in the same model line and are matching
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... av-Search=

For subs, you can buy any of the ELAC subs but most audio enthusiasts would suggest getting a sub from one of the more specialized subwoofer companies like SVS
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Feb 27, 2016
150 posts
26 upvotes
Any recommended budget receivers to pair with this?
Aug 30, 2009
213 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, bought one, huge fan of Elac, any suggest for good amp under 1k with this ?
Nov 3, 2011
954 posts
140 upvotes
STOUFFVILLE
What receiver would be a good pair to this? The specific 4ohm requirements seems to aim for receivers around $400-$500 range.
Feb 27, 2016
150 posts
26 upvotes
These are available at Amazon.com as well, same price.
Jul 30, 2008
107 posts
54 upvotes
Thought I'd weigh in on this. I actually drive the Elac's on my 2nd set up with a small Class D amp / DAC combo - NAD D3020 (~$500), hooked up to a sonos connect. It's a nice sounding system. Between the three parts, it's about $1250 - $1500. The Elac Uni-Fi B5s do not *need* a beefy amp to drive them, which is part of their selling point. However, they do sound awesome with a beefy amp. I've listened to them with a variety of amps including some bigger NADs (maybe the 356?? 3-something). I personally had them hooked up to my Naim NAIT 5Si amp before they got replaced out. The Naim made them sound great, but they were a bit of overkill (price of amp vs price of speaker). I've since replaced the Elacs with some Focal Arias, which are pretty awesome.

Re: Electronics vs speakers cost. some people swear by 50:50 speakers:amp. I'd say that's a place to start +/- 10%. I'd say that having a decent DAC (digital to analog converter) makes this even better (I like 40:40:20 for Speakers:Amp:DAC). Visions.ca has a NAD m-51 for $1000 right now. It's apparently a CRAZY pre-amp/DAC but definitely overkill for the range we're talking about.

And to the fellow who said something about buying 2-channels then upgrading to 5.1 later. Honestly, 5.1 is a different ball game. 2-channel is usually about music, so you're dealing with a 2-channel amplifier. When you go to 5.1 it's about home theatre, so you have to start worrying about all the other electronics like 4K passthrough, Dolby Vision, Dolby X, Dolby Y, Dolby Z, THX, blah blah blah. When you buy a receiver for a 5.1 system, you're paying 30% of the cost for the amp, and 70% for the rest. If you end up going this way, just make sure you buy a receiver with pre-outs for your fronts. (I just learned from this mistake...).

Just be warned with all of this, it's a slippery slope. The Elac Unifi are really a perfect spot of value for money. The problem is, you *can* hear the difference with better gear, but it's only small differences... and you'll be forever chasing it if you go too far. Also, everyone likes different sound signatures. The *best* thing to do is to go and try a few amps. If you have the Elacs in hand, just bring them with you to audition with different amps. My advice - research stuff, set a budget, audition it, buy the stuff you like, and enjoy - and never look at speakers and amps online again until something breaks. *sob* help me...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
tinybabyrobot wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 2:28 am
. The Elac Uni-Fi B5s do not *need* a beefy amp to drive them, which is part of their selling point. However, they do sound awesome with a beefy amp.
Isn't that the point though? You can probably drive them with anything but you would be shortchanging yourself. A beefy amp is one that has the capability of high current delivery. I would definitely think the tiny NAD D3020 (I have one of these too and am very familiar with it) which is close to a ideal constant voltage source device would be a better choice than a bigger amp that can't handle 4 ohm loads. When Andrew Jones designed the Debut series, he made them easy to drive, but he stated explicitly that the Uni-Fis are harder to drive and that's ok because he knew that the audience for this speaker line would match the speakers to better electronics.

If your room isn't too large, I think a mid grade Denon ($700) would be fine as a receiver for this. And for a 2 channel amp, any of the entry audiophile amps from NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Teac would work well too depending on the size of the room
Jan 25, 2006
548 posts
32 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Damn wish I would have seen this before I ordered my Polk's TSi200's from Visions sale. I bet they would sound better than the Polk's with my Yamaha A-S501. Well they at least should for $300 more :)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
tallestman wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:25 am
Would this receiver be decent?

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometh ... /avrs530bt
Not really. on that website "For compatibility with the widest range of loudspeakers the AVR-S530BT is equipped with low impedance drive capability that provides operational stability with 6 ohm speakers. "

You should step up to the S730 at minimum. "For compatibility with the widest range of loudspeakers the AVR-S730H is equipped with low impedance drive capability that provides operational stability with 4 ohm speakers. "
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19224 posts
923 upvotes
tinybabyrobot wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 2:28 am
Visions.ca has a NAD m-51 for $1000 right now. It's apparently a CRAZY pre-amp/DAC but definitely overkill for the range we're talking about.
Link for the M51 at $1k? I don't see it for that price on Visions.