Expired Hot Deals

[B&H] Elac Uni-Fi UB5 Speakers - $530 CDN delivered!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 2:39 am
Tags:
May 5, 2017
166 posts
17 upvotes
If you're starting out the urge to get things in a rush is always hard to resist. Get whatever amp to drive these while you exercise patience to get something good used. Lots and lots and lots of great solid state amps out there to be had for a good price. In the land of audiofools patience is king. Who knows, you may even end up getting 300$ cables for 30$ because they're not good anymore.

What I love about people spending thousands on audio for home use is seeing how often their walls are bare... How anyone can appreciate a good sound system in an untreated room is something that has eluded any audio professional for decades.. except the ones in the business :D
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11338 posts
2194 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:52 pm
No point. Their stores can't ship. I'm in Quebec, so I can't just drive over.
You can't get it to ship on the website?

Capture.PNG
May 5, 2017
166 posts
17 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:52 pm
No point. Their stores can't ship. I'm in Quebec, so I can't just drive over.
Give them a call. I got a TV from the store close to Ottawa and they were very friendly and let me have a tv at the price of a promo after it had ended...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19293 posts
987 upvotes
On the website yes, but it's $2500.
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:26 pm
You can't get it to ship on the website?

Capture.PNG
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11338 posts
2194 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:55 pm
On the website yes, but it's $2500.
If you really wanted it,I'd call the online store and see if they would honor the price from yesterday. Tell them you missed the deal from yesterday
If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-866-530-3363
or email help@visions.ca for assistance.
Sep 3, 2002
797 posts
254 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 6:51 am
Isn't that the point though? You can probably drive them with anything but you would be shortchanging yourself. A beefy amp is one that has the capability of high current delivery. I would definitely think the tiny NAD D3020 (I have one of these too and am very familiar with it) which is close to a ideal constant voltage source device would be a better choice than a bigger amp that can't handle 4 ohm loads. When Andrew Jones designed the Debut series, he made them easy to drive, but he stated explicitly that the Uni-Fis are harder to drive and that's ok because he knew that the audience for this speaker line would match the speakers to better electronics.
Andrew Jones on the Uni-Fi:

"Just a note about the concerns over speaker impedance:
I rate them as 4 ohms because I follow the accepted standards for rating impedance, meaning that if a speaker is rated at 8 ohms for example, its minimum impedance should not fall below 80% of that, ie 6.4 ohms in this example. For a 4 ohm speaker, that would be 3.2 ohms. Now the standard makes no mention of what frequency that minimum impedance should occur, or over how wide a range. Suppose the impedance dips low at just one very narrow frequency range. This is not likely to cause the amplifier much of a problem, as statistically there will not be much power delivered by a music source over such a narrow range. Conversely, if the minimum impedance is maintained over a wide frequency range then there will be much higher power demands from the amplifier. So, as usual, the specs are very limited in what they tell the casual observer about the capabilities of a given amplifier to match with a given loudspeaker. Saying that because it's a four ohm speaker it by default will not work with budget amplifiers is just plain wrong. Now it is also the case that some manufacturers don't follow the standard rating system. They state a value for rated impedance, but the minimum value falls well below the 80% value. This is what gives the impedance rating a bad name, similar to the situation with amplifier power!

So, having said all of that, my 4 ohm rating is based on the value reaching the minimum over a very narrow frequency range, and being well above that over most of the frequency range, so I don't expect any real problems with relatively budget amplifiers. "

Source
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19293 posts
987 upvotes
theSPOOLER wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:18 pm

I rate them as 4 ohms because I follow the accepted standards for rating impedance, meaning that if a speaker is rated at 8 ohms for example, its minimum impedance should not fall below 80% of that, ie 6.4 ohms in this example. For a 4 ohm speaker, that would be 3.2 ohms. Now the standard makes no mention of what frequency that minimum impedance should occur, or over how wide a range. Suppose the impedance dips low at just one very narrow frequency range. This is not likely to cause the amplifier much of a problem, as statistically there will not be much power delivered by a music source over such a narrow range. Conversely, if the minimum impedance is maintained over a wide frequency range then there will be much higher power demands from the amplifier. So, as usual, the specs are very limited in what they tell the casual observer about the capabilities of a given amplifier to match with a given loudspeaker. Saying that because it's a four ohm speaker it by default will not work with budget amplifiers is just plain wrong. Now it is also the case that some manufacturers don't follow the standard rating system. They state a value for rated impedance, but the minimum value falls well below the 80% value. This is what gives the impedance rating a bad name, similar to the situation with amplifier power!

So, having said all of that, my 4 ohm rating is based on the value reaching the minimum over a very narrow frequency range, and being well above that over most of the frequency range, so I don't expect any real problems with relatively budget amplifiers. "

Source
THe key word being 'relatively'
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11338 posts
2194 upvotes
Ottawa
I remember reading that quote now. I also saw another interview where they were running a ELAC UB/UF system with a relatively low/mid end AV receiver, but it wasn't a $100 receiver or some $30 Tri-path amp.

What he said still doesn't mean you should pair it with a cheap amp. While it won't explode, the speakers won't sound its best, and the amp may run really hot if you push it at all. I used to have some Totem Rainmakers which also went down to 3.4 ohms for a relatively narrow range, and the speakers didn't sound good at all when I tried $250 Sony receiver, but it was quite noticeably better once we swapped in a $500 Denon.
Apr 15, 2005
391 posts
215 upvotes
Brossard, QC
theSPOOLER wrote:

Source
great info! i'll tell you all about it when I get them plugged in on my el cheapo receiver.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4601 posts
662 upvotes
theSPOOLER wrote:

I rate them as 4 ohms because I follow the accepted standards for rating impedance
He's just more honest about impedance than others. You don't need a "beefy" amp to drive those speakers.
Aug 18, 2011
209 posts
151 upvotes
North York
porksoda wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:37 pm
I would go listen to them their frequencies seem very off when you compare to some other brands, i stayed away from the whole elac line, here is a comparison:

The FS407 are pre-Andrew Jones. Andrew Jones only designed the Debut and the Uni-Fi lines (so far).