Expired Hot Deals

[B&H] Elac Uni-Fi UB5 Speakers - $530 CDN delivered!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 2:39 am
Tags:
Jan 31, 2011
509 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:11 pm
For subs, you can buy any of the ELAC subs but most audio enthusiasts would suggest getting a sub from one of the more specialized subwoofer companies like SVS
Slightly off topic here, but I concurr with previous comments here on RFD that if you're spending on a super sub (>$2000) you'd better looking at other ID companies like JTR Captivator, Seaton submersive and PSA, I've learned my lesson.

warpdrive wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 4:13 pm
for those people looking for a small amp that can drive these speakers for a desktop system, I heartily recommend the NAD D3020. It's $399 right now during Boxing Week at BBB. The cheapest I've ever seen (it has never been lower than $500 that I know of.....and that's what I paid)

https://baybloorradio.com/nad-d3020-hyb ... search=nad
Not sure if you've ever contacted their support. Their email support is decent, but their phone support is almsot non-existent in the sense that there is no one ever pick up the call or return your voicemail. It seems like there is only one receptionist lady for all companies (PSB/NAD/Bluesound) under the Lenbrook group.
May 9, 2013
57 posts
7 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 4:13 pm
for those people looking for a small amp that can drive these speakers for a desktop system, I heartily recommend the NAD D3020. It's $399 right now during Boxing Week at BBB. The cheapest I've ever seen (it has never been lower than $500 that I know of.....and that's what I paid)

https://baybloorradio.com/nad-d3020-hyb ... search=nad
Would this be okay for using it as a home theatre set-up or is this only good for desktop system? Thank you!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2209 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
junghwan wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 6:30 pm
Would this be okay for using it as a home theatre set-up or is this only good for desktop system? Thank you!
You can use it for home theatre if you want to buy I personally think you’d be way better off getting a traditional all in one receiver with HDMI ports. Would be much cleaner and simplier to use.
May 9, 2013
57 posts
7 upvotes
AstonM wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 7:48 pm
You can use it for home theatre if you want to buy I personally think you’d be way better off getting a traditional all in one receiver with HDMI ports. Would be much cleaner and simplier to use.
I appreciate your insight. Will you recommend some of these tradition all in one receiver which goes well with Elac Uni-Fi UB5 Speakers please? Thanks again!!!!!
May 9, 2013
57 posts
7 upvotes
It is somewhat off-topic but I am also going to buy a pair of Polk Audio RTIA9 500-Watt Tower Speakers. Is this Denon AVR-X1400H 7.2 Ch In-Command Receiver w/ HEOS Technology receiver or Sony STR-DN1080 good enough of a receiver to power a pair of polk tower speakers? Thanks again.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19224 posts
923 upvotes
junghwan wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 9:24 pm
Thanks Warpdrive,

I guess I will cancel my order on NAD D 3020 and get this Denon one instead for my use. Thank you very much.
Uhhhh, I wouldn't do that, unless you absolutely need a receiver. The D3020 will smoke any Denon under $1k when it comes to pure sound quality.
May 9, 2013
57 posts
7 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 10:28 pm
Uhhhh, I wouldn't do that, unless you absolutely need a receiver. The D3020 will smoke any Denon under $1k when it comes to pure sound quality.
Oh really? I am sorry I am far from an expert on this field. I am just trying to step my foot into it now. I will go with D3020 for my Elac Uni-fi speakers. However, would NAD D 3020 sufficient for a pair of Polk Audio RTIA9 500-Watt tower speakers as well?
Thank you.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
junghwan wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 10:31 pm
Oh really? I am sorry I am far from an expert on this field. I am just trying to step my foot into it now. I will go with D3020 for my Elac Uni-fi speakers. However, would NAD D 3020 sufficient for a pair of Polk Audio RTIA9 500-Watt tower speakers as well?
Thank you.
You are getting a lot of conflicting advice.The denon is a fine receiver and is advertised as capable of driving the 4 ohm load. It has a great audyssey setup process which works very well. The nad 3020 can only power 2 speakers and is not suitable for home theatre. I would stick with the denon if you intend to setup a home theatre system
Last edited by warpdrive on Dec 26th, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
May 8, 2007
768 posts
162 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I wonder how these Elacs would compare with the Kef Q150 (which has slightly smaller size) and Q350 (bigger size)?

I need to upgrade my old Paradigm speakers, they are connected to a Denon AVR-S720W bought 2016 Boxing Day. Mostly used for 5.1 home theatre.

I'm cautious about Andrew Jones speaker designs. I have the Pioneer center channel he designed, it's been a disappointment but I think his other Pioneer speakers are probably better.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
junghwan wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 10:31 pm
Thank you.
some more info:

There are two uses for this speaker.

One: you may be using the ELACs as a high quality small speaker for listening to stereo music (e.g. audio CDs, media files) while plugged into a computer system, CD player or media server. The main use is music. You could add a subwoofer but it's optional since this speaker will comfortably give you enough bass to be satisfying for normal listening. The NAD D3020 is ideal for that. It's not that powerful but is of very high quality, so you would be getting quality over quantity. It's rated at 30W per channel, so it's more suited for a smaller system or smaller rooms. A quality amp like this is designed to handle a tough impedance load of 4 ohms without overheating or straining and would let your ELACs shine with better quality media files or source material.

The second use of course is home theatre. In home theatre, you would likely have a set of ELACs as your main speakers, with a matching centre channel (also preferably from ELAC Uni-Fi model line). You'll probably want a subwoofer (doesn't have to be ELAC, but should be of good quality too). for this, you must have a receiver, the better the quality the better to match the quality of the ELACs and not be the weak link, but I had suggested that Denon because it's the minimum I would use and it was on sale too. The Denon can handle the tougher impedance load of 4ohms, and has some nice features as well. All receivers have a room compensation feature. The one on the Denon is called Audyssey and it's known to be effective. With Audyssey, when you run the setup process, it will analyze the room acoustics and the speakers and configure the settings for you (e.g. how many speakers you have connected, whether you have a sub) and also perform some automatic computed sound adjustments based on how the speakers sound in your room). A receiver will also allow you to connect up different sources (e.g. bluray, PS4 etc) and you can switch between them. These receivers will handle 4K video sources and the new sound formats like Atmos and new video features like HDR, and will pass them through to your TV. Most receivers can also stream music from services and are controllable from an app.

So basically, if you are using it for home theather it doesn't make sense to keep the D3020.

You had mentioned the Polks, I'm not sure how they fit into what you are trying to do though. But if you want to connect more than 2 speakers, you must use a receiver.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
adams7 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 1:37 pm
I wonder how these Elacs would compare with the Kef Q150 (which has slightly smaller size) and Q350 (bigger size)?

I need to upgrade my old Paradigm speakers, they are connected to a Denon AVR-S720W bought 2016 Boxing Day. Mostly used for 5.1 home theatre.

I'm cautious about Andrew Jones speaker designs. I have the Pioneer center channel he designed, it's been a disappointment but I think his other Pioneer speakers are probably better.
I wasn't too crazy with the first Andrew Jones set of Pioneer budget speakers. Andrew Jones is a very good speaker designer (being the head designer of previous high end speakers), and he achieved some design goals in the cheap Pioneers that elevated them (way) above mediocre. They were indeed a huge step up from a lot of other stuff that was junk selling for about the same price. But in the end, they were still cheap speakers and they were severely compromised. I think they were a good set of speakers for anybody looking into an entry level system. His next big effort in the Elite line was excellent and basically the predecessor of these ELACs in that they used a 3 way design and very similar driver complement (but they were designed as LR speakers with built-in Atmos support)

The selling point of KEF speakers is the Uni-Q driver which works very well in the KEF Q to punch above their price class in sound quality. These ELACs are even better because they bring a true 3 way design into another relatively affordable speaker. By separating the midrange from the bass driver, speakers like this have excellent imaging and clarity for vocals. I find it's even more so in a home theater system where you value good precise imaging and vocal intelligibility