Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
B&H Photo

Google Home - now back to $129.99 USD (still a decent deal!) - and how to get it here in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2017 11:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a Google Home when it was mentioned here back in November and we loved it so much we decided to purchase another one last week (knew pretty much right away that we wanted another one and was hoping there would be another sale, but eventually decided to just bite the bullet and buy at full price). Unfortunately the 2nd unit has the dreaded "hissing microphone" problem -- it doesn't recognize/respond any voice inputs like "Ok Google..." essentially making it unusable as a personal assistance (it can talk but I can't talk to it). Played the recordings via headphones and the right channel is just pure constant static/noise. Just opened up an RMA with B&H, hoping they will be kind enough to exchange it within shipping costs. RMA'ing with Google directly is not an option since they don't ship to Canada :(

Despite the troubles with the 2nd unit, we are actually thinking of getting a 3rd and a 4th unit. The price is steep, but we find ourselves using it a lot (mostly Google Play Music and home automation, though planning to expand this).
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Dec 5, 2004
288 posts
200 upvotes
GTA
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I bought a Google Home when it was mentioned here back in November and we loved it so much we decided to purchase another one last week (knew pretty much right away that we wanted another one and was hoping there would be another sale, but eventually decided to just bite the bullet and buy at full price). Unfortunately the 2nd unit has the dreaded "hissing microphone" problem -- it doesn't recognize/respond any voice inputs like "Ok Google..." essentially making it unusable as a personal assistance (it can talk but I can't talk to it). Played the recordings via headphones and the right channel is just pure constant static/noise. Just opened up an RMA with B&H, hoping they will be kind enough to exchange it within shipping costs. RMA'ing with Google directly is not an option since they don't ship to Canada :(

Despite the troubles with the 2nd unit, we are actually thinking of getting a 3rd and a 4th unit. The price is steep, but we find ourselves using it a lot (mostly Google Play Music and home automation, though planning to expand this).
My GH may have the same issue, it's not responding well, been using the compressed air trick but it doesn't last. I will probably try your idea to RMA with B&H and hopefully they'll do something about it. Love the GH, but this issue..
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
Stickywire wrote: My GH may have the same issue, it's not responding well, been using the compressed air trick but it doesn't last. I will probably try your idea to RMA with B&H and hopefully they'll do something about it. Love the GH, but this issue..
Mine has started to show this as well. Mind you mine is only hooked up to power only about 3 hours a day. I did the compressed air as well and the 'shake' and seems like it's working somewhat as you can see a significant improvement in the recordings before/after but it lasts for a few days and back to square one.

What's the best way to go about RMAing this? Does B&H charge shipping etc.?

It's pretty clear that these units have a hardware defect so hopefully Google will address this, it shouldn't be very difficult to figure out.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
You can start the RMA process from within the B&H interface, there's a dedicated button for it when you look at your order. The letter that came with my order stated I had 15 days from date of receipt to initiate the RMA process.
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
3631 posts
6560 upvotes
Kelowna
For anyone having the static issue, I too had it. Here are the steps that I've done to successfully fix it (Day two).

1. Blow out the mic
2. Factory reset
3. Power the device off for at least 5 minutes (I honestly think this is what fixed it finally)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
Bargain_Brett wrote: For anyone having the static issue, I too had it. Here are the steps that I've done to successfully fix it (Day two).

1. Blow out the mic
2. Factory reset
3. Power the device off for at least 5 minutes (I honestly think this is what fixed it finally)
It will come back, this is not a permanent fix.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone had B&H use DHL for shipping their Google Home? Were you charged extra fees? I'm going through the RMA process with B&H and originally they used Purolator but the replacement they shipped with DHL -- I'm worried DHL is going to add extra fees in the process (I've have had nothing but awful experiences with DHL).
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Jul 22, 2007
362 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Has anyone had B&H use DHL for shipping their Google Home? Were you charged extra fees? I'm going through the RMA process with B&H and originally they used Purolator but the replacement they shipped with DHL -- I'm worried DHL is going to add extra fees in the process (I've have had nothing but awful experiences with DHL).
Did you use the pay for duties ahead of time option? If you do, they will take care of it. If DHL sends you a bill, you just send it to their support and they will take care of it. If not, DHL charges you for duties, taxes and a 10 dollar processing fee.