Price:
$299 US
Savings:
25%
Expiry:
February 18, 2019
Retailer:
B&H Photo Video
The Nest Secure starter pack is at a great price in the US. Can't get cellular backup or professional monitor in Canada though.
Last edited by dgcan75 on Feb 17th, 2019 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
42 replies
Nov 30, 2016
9 posts
3 upvotes
Just spent the last twenty minutes trying to buy the Groupon deal. They won't allow non-US purchase...so unless you have a US mailing address and (I assume) a US credit card you are out of luck.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3066 posts
1452 upvotes
dextur wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 3:14 am
Just spent the last twenty minutes trying to buy the Groupon deal. They won't allow non-US purchase...so unless you have a US mailing address and (I assume) a US credit card you are out of luck.
Just bought. Canadian CC and SAVE coupon worked. No Issues. THX OP and coupon poster!

Congrats on your shiny new Groupon!
A confirmation email has been sent to email
Your Purchased Items

Nest Secure Alarm System Starter Pack n/a White H1500ES - Nest Alarm System Starter Pack
Qty:1
Shipping Method:Standard Shipping
SHARE THIS DEAL

View My Groupons Continue Shopping
Order Summary
ending in ####
SubtotalC$395.99
Promo Code-C$39.60
Shipping CostC$5.99
Customs DutyFREE
Estimated TaxC$54.27
Order Total:C$416.60
Jul 28, 2010
458 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
dextur wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 3:14 am
You have probably written your postal code in a wrong format.
A#A #A#
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2413 posts
238 upvotes
don't want to hi-jack

Ring Alarm also has their products on sale.
I just received mine, no taxes and no duties shipped to my door and they have Canadian support - cheaper than any retailer in Canada right now.
I haven't tested it yet tho.
Even better if you have a Ring Doorbell - their alarm monitoring service also includes their cloud service for the videos

https://shop.ring.com/collections/secur ... curity-kit
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3935.00
Jul 28, 2010
458 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
Is this where Ring Vs Nest Secure debate starts?
Feb 14, 2010
650 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
blues45 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:05 am
don't want to hi-jack

Ring Alarm also has their products on sale.
I just received mine, no taxes and no duties shipped to my door and they have Canadian support - cheaper than any retailer in Canada right now.
I haven't tested it yet tho.
Even better if you have a Ring Doorbell - their alarm monitoring service also includes their cloud service for the videos

https://shop.ring.com/collections/secur ... curity-kit
Any monthly/yearly fees?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3066 posts
1452 upvotes
klamyo wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:11 am
Is this where Ring Vs Nest Secure debate starts?
I already have the Nest smoke alarm so my foot already in the Nest eco-system.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3684 posts
2546 upvotes
darkman007e wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 12:33 am
One controversy to keep in mind, Nest has recently announced that it will support Google Home but it was never mentioned anywhere that it had a hidden "deactivated" microphone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nest-mi ... ret-2019-2
Google's explanation makes sense, but it just adds to the growing unease about privacy with any of these devices. We have a Nest Protect smoke/CO detector at home, and I've always known that it has a microphone that it uses to listen to itself when it tests the audible alarm. But who's to say if that microphone can be used for remote listening? Nobody knows.

Ring has an even worse security problem, partly due to their horrifyingly lax internal privacy rules: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/10/amazo ... -concerns/
It turns out that all Ring employees have access to all private videos from Ring doorbells and home cameras with just your email address. Employees joked about looking in on each other. Even worse, they shared that access with third-party contractors in Ukraine who were doing software development work for them.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3327 posts
789 upvotes
Thanks -

I'll break-even after 5 months of not paying Rogers for Smart Home Monitoring lol.

No central monitoring in Canada, but I figure I'll get alerts to my Nest App and can call the authorities myself. Is that what others plan to do?