• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2017 8:57 am
[OP]
May 21, 2012
81 posts
53 upvotes
Burlington

[Babies R Us] Graco Turbobooster $50

The Graco Turbobooster in "Lava" (red/black) is $50 at Babies R Us. See this link for pros/cons: http://vicarseattechs.com/our-favourite ... ter-seats/

This is a belt-positioning booster only, so children must be 40lbs to use it. For safety, the child should also be mature enough to be responsible for their own safety by sitting in the correct position at all times (no reaching, bending, slouching, falling over when sleeping, etc.).
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5010 posts
1069 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Just picked this up at my local Toysrus. After waiting 15 min in line and paying the clerk looked at me and said if I open the box I cannot return it... I was like whaaaaaaat?

I said how am I suposed to make sure it fits correctly in my car? Make a cutout version of the seat and try it? I actually looked online for their return policy before heading out and the only thing I see is that Item need to be in their original packaging with all the material (common sense anyway...) so I don't know what she was refering too.

I still picked it up since I paid for it etc...

My son is just about to hit the 40lbs and he's tall so his current seat you can tell he's not really comfortable in it so we have been looking for a seat like this. Cannot comment on how good it is because I haven't tried it yet but most reviews are good and it's a good price IMO. :)
Jan 13, 2017
54 posts
17 upvotes
Oh no...it's on backorder...and I need one for my son. I hope my order doesn't get cancelled.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2200 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Was going to get one for my niece who visits us alot, and just keep it stored at my house.
$50 is worth it to avoid the "hassle" of always transferring her seat from her parents' car to ours and back again (and a few times she was left with us without a seat for various reasons so we were not able to drive her to places with my kids).
I will probably just get this,
https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/pr ... ku=0462325
[OP]
May 21, 2012
81 posts
53 upvotes
Burlington
The Evenflo Amp is a good booster as well. It does well in places with strange seat belt geometry such as the outboard positions in the third row of a Caravan/Town and Country.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1903 posts
106 upvotes
nounou23 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:31 pm
Just picked this up at my local Toysrus. After waiting 15 min in line and paying the clerk looked at me and said if I open the box I cannot return it... I was like whaaaaaaat?

I said how am I suposed to make sure it fits correctly in my car? Make a cutout version of the seat and try it? I actually looked online for their return policy before heading out and the only thing I see is that Item need to be in their original packaging with all the material (common sense anyway...) so I don't know what she was refering too.

I still picked it up since I paid for it etc...

My son is just about to hit the 40lbs and he's tall so his current seat you can tell he's not really comfortable in it so we have been looking for a seat like this. Cannot comment on how good it is because I haven't tried it yet but most reviews are good and it's a good price IMO. :)
May I ask how old your son is? My son is 4 and at the same weight, and I would never use this seat with him. They don't have the maturity to keep still like the OP mentions. Sorry, but min weights on seats for children are not a clear pass to be using them. Your childs life is at risk in any accident, and I can tell you that's not one way to find out you don't have the proper seat for your child. You also may want to keep your kid 5 point harnessed as long as possible. There is a reason race car drivers wear them to be safe.

In any event, that's the extent of my knowledge on it. We went with this one: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... d=23926936. It was recently on sale for 99.97 at Babies R Us as well, so it does go down to reasonable.

Sorry to sound harsh and straight, but honestly I wouldn't risk it with this seat. There is too much reason not to get it for your circumstances.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5010 posts
1069 upvotes
Moncton, NB
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:52 pm
May I ask how old your son is? My son is 4 and at the same weight, and I would never use this seat with him. They don't have the maturity to keep still like the OP mentions. Sorry, but min weights on seats for children are not a clear pass to be using them. Your childs life is at risk in any accident, and I can tell you that's not one way to find out you don't have the proper seat for your child. You also may want to keep your kid 5 point harnessed as long as possible. There is a reason race car drivers wear them to be safe.

In any event, that's the extent of my knowledge on it. We went with this one: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... d=23926936. It was recently on sale for 99.97 at Babies R Us as well, so it does go down to reasonable.

Sorry to sound harsh and straight, but honestly I wouldn't risk it with this seat. There is too much reason not to get it for your circumstances.
My son is 4, turning 5 in July. And thanks for your post :). It's nice to see other parents concern :)

We decided to keep him in his current seat so we will be returning this one. We asked him if he wasn't comfortable (because it looked like it) but he said he was fine and didn't mind it.

We talked about it during the weekend and we decided to keep him in his seat because it would actually be safer like you mentioned. We feel he's ready for a bigger seat in a way but the seat we have is still very good for his age and weight so there's no point of jumping to the next thing. We also like the 5 point harness.

But thanks for the recommendation on the car seat :)
Sep 7, 2008
102 posts
13 upvotes
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:52 pm

I also bought the same booster seat, although different colour from toysrus.com. It's on sale for 64.99 USD, so around 87 CAD by today's conversion rate. It has been shipped to a relative in USA and I just have to make the trip across border for it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... age=search
[OP]
May 21, 2012
81 posts
53 upvotes
Burlington
navdeepnippy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:18 am
I also bought the same booster seat, although different colour from toysrus.com. It's on sale for 64.99 USD, so around 87 CAD by today's conversion rate. It has been shipped to a relative in USA and I just have to make the trip across border for it.

It is not legal to use an American car seat (or booster seat) in Canada. Transport Canada Link
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5906 posts
108 upvotes
navdeepnippy wrote:

muskrat191 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:24 am
It is not legal to use an American car seat (or booster seat) in Canada. Transport Canada Link
that is half true.
It's only illegal if it doesn't have the Transport Canada's approval sticker (aka comply with Canadian standards) as long as it has the approval, it's fine to use in Canada.
images are not permitted in sigs
[OP]
May 21, 2012
81 posts
53 upvotes
Burlington
Tomy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:05 pm
that is half true.
It's only illegal if it doesn't have the Transport Canada's approval sticker (aka comply with Canadian standards) as long as it has the approval, it's fine to use in Canada.
You are correct. However, I have not seen a car seat or booster seat purchased outside Canada that has the National Safety Mark (the maple leaf sticker) on it. I would be interested to know of sources outside Canada for seats that meet CMVSS 213/213.1/213.2.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1903 posts
106 upvotes
nounou23 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:39 am
My son is 4, turning 5 in July. And thanks for your post :). It's nice to see other parents concern :)

We decided to keep him in his current seat so we will be returning this one. We asked him if he wasn't comfortable (because it looked like it) but he said he was fine and didn't mind it.

We talked about it during the weekend and we decided to keep him in his seat because it would actually be safer like you mentioned. We feel he's ready for a bigger seat in a way but the seat we have is still very good for his age and weight so there's no point of jumping to the next thing. We also like the 5 point harness.

But thanks for the recommendation on the car seat :)
Thank you for the reply! Also, thank you for not taking my comment in a negative light. My wife has lost friends over it, as I know it's a touchy topic.

I'm glad you decided to stay with your current seat, if it works, why not! My son always asks why we do certain things (curious minds) and when he used to ask about his car seat, I would always say to stay safe and then remind him race cars use it as well, that seems to always win the argument Face With Tears Of Joy

I think it would be extremely unfortunate if someone had their child hurt or worse, killed from a unawareness. I couldn't imagine them living with the "why didn't someone tell me" thoughts.

Safe travels!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1903 posts
106 upvotes
navdeepnippy wrote:

While that's a good deal, I spent $10 more for a local purchase I know meets Canadian law standards. Please let us know if yours has the sticker. If not, please don't use it as you could get into some serious trouble down the road.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5010 posts
1069 upvotes
Moncton, NB
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:30 pm
Thank you for the reply! Also, thank you for not taking my comment in a negative light. My wife has lost friends over it, as I know it's a touchy topic.

I'm glad you decided to stay with your current seat, if it works, why not! My son always asks why we do certain things (curious minds) and when he used to ask about his car seat, I would always say to stay safe and then remind him race cars use it as well, that seems to always win the argument Face With Tears Of Joy

I think it would be extremely unfortunate if someone had their child hurt or worse, killed from a unawareness. I couldn't imagine them living with the "why didn't someone tell me" thoughts.

Safe travels!
Yeah I also couldn't imagine us living knowing that I could have just kept the same car seat for longer and save a life. My brother in law (and mother in law) already use a regular booster with no back and their son just turned 4.... and before they were using a 20+ year old car seat that wasn't even legal anywhere anymore. Anyway even if we tell them about it they don't care and it's too bad. Some people just don't give a ..... about their kids life... At least we care.

We currently us this one http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/evenf ... 6246p.html

He's not complaining but I feel like he's getting too big for it. I will start looking for the one you are using.

Thanks again!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel