Food & Drink

Babu in Markham...closed? EDIT REOPENED!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2019 4:06 pm
Tags:
Jul 29, 2007
180 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 1:33 pm
Interesting contradiction....one person says space has been subdivided and another says re-opening soon. IMO no point reporting to Yelp because it's NOT open, so permanent or temporary is moot until it's actually re-opened.
Back in October, it looked like they were doing work inside and it looked like the units were being divided up. Not sure if that was really the case. But I can confirm that there really is a big "opening soon" sign up now. I pass by there all the time.
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
6 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 1:33 pm
Interesting contradiction....one person says space has been subdivided and another says re-opening soon. IMO no point reporting to Yelp because it's NOT open, so permanent or temporary is moot until it's actually re-opened.
That post was discussing about what happened in mid-September. We are now nearing the end of December. They have posted a large banner at their location since then... I believe they should be open and running again early in the new year.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
BraydenE57950 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 10:49 pm
That post was discussing about what happened in mid-September. We are now nearing the end of December. They have posted a large banner at their location since then... I believe they should be open and running again early in the new year.
I hope this is true....too bad the business doesn't know how to communicate this very well. They could've posted on Yelp and Google and
even on their own website. I drove by there to get some food only to discover it was closed.

It'd be nice if they build in some standup area/tall stool window area to eat inside. Maybe they don't want to do that because of the dumb regulations that say if you provide X number of seats you also have to provide washrooms.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
6 upvotes
goo421 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 1:53 pm
Back in October, it looked like they were doing work inside and it looked like the units were being divided up. Not sure if that was really the case. But I can confirm that there really is a big "opening soon" sign up now. I pass by there all the time.
Thanks for confirming it for me!! BABU IS REOPENING SOON! :) let friends, and others know of this. The company sure did a bad job of updating people about the situation... they shut-down their website because I’m assuming their renovating it, but didn’t put any notices up anywhere.

Looking forward to the delicious food again:)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
This is why I don't trust signs. I used to go to Yung Sing Pastry Shop for chinese buns back in the day. They closed and they had a sign up saying they were closed for renos and will re-open soon. To this day, the place is still vacant.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/0 ... e-toronto/

When they re-open I'll believe it and go to get my Kothu Roti there....otherwise, I'm not holding my breath.

Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
6 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 4:01 pm
This is why I don't trust signs. I used to go to Yung Sing Pastry Shop for chinese buns back in the day. They closed and they had a sign up saying they were closed for renos and will re-open soon. To this day, the place is still vacant.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/0 ... e-toronto/

When they re-open I'll believe it and go to get my Kothu Roti there....otherwise, I'm not holding my breath.

I’ve got some new different information now. The sign for BABU’s Markham location could be referring to a new store opening up there, instead of BABU... Its still uncertain what the plans are and what exactly is going on...
Aug 24, 2006
603 posts
89 upvotes
Scarborough
What ever is re-opening, they chosen a smaller unit.

Just head southbound to Manhattan Dr and try Ganesh Take out and catering if you like the rice and curry varieties.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
ahlavanthan wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 10:07 pm
What ever is re-opening, they chosen a smaller unit.

Just head southbound to Manhattan Dr and try Ganesh Take out and catering if you like the rice and curry varieties.
That's a bad sign IMO...Babu needs that much storefront so I don't think they're re-opening. I used to to Babu get Lamprais there (aka "Lump Rice") and Kothu Roti.

Aug 24, 2006
603 posts
89 upvotes
Scarborough
Pretty sure it is still a Babu's franchise. They have the same pics up on the windows as their Scarborough location. But the downsizing maybe be due to them them not being very successful at this location. I heard they were even listed for sale an year or so ago with no buyers.
Mar 22, 2017
270 posts
237 upvotes
The location was huge with a lot of wasted space. They could probably downsize to half the space, save the rent, and not have to remove too much from the menu. Would be easier to make money if they did this.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2819 posts
217 upvotes
GTA
Babu on McCowan is re-opening in the next day or two.....there's a large ad in the local paper about it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7480 posts
2693 upvotes
Markham
BraydenE57950 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:13 am
BABU IS NOW OPEN IN MARKHAM AGAIN!!! (SAME LOCATION @ 9590 MCCOWAN ROAD)

Grand-Reopening took place Sunday February 10th, 2019.

LINK: https://local.yorkregion.com/markham-on ... 6-298-2228

They apparently have the same menu amount or even more items added!!! :)
Yay. That's good news.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)